2019 Grizzly Tohatsu 20 short shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fyr4efect said:
gatorglenn said:
Yes nice rig for sure.
Only thing I suggest, is your transducer is angled to low. Once you pull the boat out of the water. And see the scam line, ( how the boat is leveled in the water) you can rise the end upward. So it’s level in the water. This makes a huge difference in performance.
fcadd22518485dbed90cda3727e26ac3.jpg

This is a pic of mine. Looks odd, but I have a lot of rear weight. There are UTUBE videos on how to use levels to gain the correct set position. But hey the scam line doesn’t lie [emoji6]

What kind of Jack Plate are you using and why?
Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is a Vance 3” adjustable. When dialing in a setup. You are really handicapped with only being able to move the motor one hole at a time. Most all motor-boat combos can be setup right in 1/8” increments. My boat motor does not benefit from a lot of setback. But it’s greatly improved with height adjustment. So I have a PT175 TX with 60hp. And with my 3 blade prop I can run 38 gps. But the prop I run most is a 13p Trophy Sport 4blade. At 37 gps. At 5800 rpms with a 5% prop slip. Which is really good jackplate is set to a ptp of 5-1/4”.

nytebyte said:
Mine is on a 14 ft Lund Fisherman. Top speed is around 23 gps with me and my Lab but it is pretty heavily loaded.

What is your transom height? Do you have a short shaft 20? Reason I'm asking is I'm getting some sprayback from my cav plate at running speeds.
My cav plate is 1 1/2" above the bottom transom. I don't even know if I could drop it down [jackplate] it would solve anything. Anyway I am going to start looking into this issue being new to this. Here I thought buy a boat put an engine on go fishing?

20” shaft on motor, which means its a 19-1/4” for mercury. Transom is 22”
See if you can set a phone or camera up to video the spray. Iam having a hard time with the spray coming from the cav plate set that high. But the transducers are Notorious for creating a sprayed like that.

gatorglenn said:
20” shaft on motor, which means its a 19-1/4” for mercury. Transom is 22”
See if you can set a phone or camera up to video the spray. Iam having a hard time with the spray coming from the cav plate set that high. But the transducers are Notorious for creating a sprayed like that.

Spray is coming from both sides. Transducer is on the right. Im going out in the am and will bend over the transom at speed and play with the tilt. I can tilt up running but not dn as its tilt not trim on this 20. Don't have a camera just cell.

fyr4efect said:

Im going out in the am and will bend over the transom at speed and play with the tilt. I can tilt up running but not dn as its tilt not trim on this 20. Don't have a camera just cell.

Be careful! I would rather get my iPhone wet than lean over the transom of a small boat doing 25 mph.

This has nothing to do with your question and I'm the last guy that should give any kind of forum tech tips, but I might have one. When you quote a previous post, if you make your response below where it says "[/quote]" it is easy to see where the quote stops and your response starts.

LDUBS said:
fyr4efect said:

Im going out in the am and will bend over the transom at speed and play with the tilt. I can tilt up running but not dn as its tilt not trim on this 20. Don't have a camera just cell.

Be careful! I would rather get my iPhone wet than lean over the transom of a small boat doing 25 mph.

This has nothing to do with your question and I'm the last guy that should give any kind of forum tech tips, but I might have one. When you quote a previous post, if you make your response below where it says "
" it is easy to see where the quote stops and your response starts.[/quote]

Your last sentence after you wrote "[/quote]" got put in this response. I scroll a few clicks after the quote. Is what it is.

tracker101 said:
Your Grizzly is a Great boat, I have been looking at the Tohatsu motors for my Tracker 1436 except I would be getting one in the 10 hp range. Keep us posted on how yours works out.

Thx,

The Tohatsu manual puts the 9.9E,15E, and 20E in the same book.

fyr4efect,
if you don't mind me asking, what kind of seat mount did you use for the drivers seat?
I'm thinking of doing something similar.
I noticed the factory seat mount is sealed to keep water out.

-jasper

jasper60103 said:
fyr4efect,
if you don't mind me asking, what kind of seat mount did you use for the drivers seat?

-jasper

Garelick quick release track. It locks in place with a release lever.

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-EEz-Universal-Boat-Swivel/dp/B01K2OVHFU

fyr4efect said:
jasper60103 said:
fyr4efect,

-jasper

Looks like a good system. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jasper60103 said:
fyr4efect said:
jasper60103 said:
fyr4efect,

-jasper

Looks like a good system. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

At 5900 wot 24mph. thing rides nice. Im amazed how well this 20 pushes my 1448 [around 1000lb, eng/boat, batt, TM, gear, me] Still getting some spray from the cav plate end[facing the transom]

fyr4efect said:

At 5900 wot 24mph. thing rides nice. Im amazed how well this 20 pushes my 1448 [around 1000lb, eng/boat, batt, TM, gear, me] Still getting some spray from the cav plate end[facing the transom]

Yea, that Grizzly is a tank, but rides well on the water.
Good performance. =D>