20hp 4-stroke vs. 25hp 2-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One consideration there would be around these parts is lakes with HP restrictions. There are a good many lakes with a 20HP limit.

I am a 2 stroke fan when it comes to outboards and dirtbikes. Light wieght, reliable, and easy to work on.

The current Merc 25hp 4 stroke weighs 157lbs (dry). and costs about $4,200.00 new (thats what I was quoted).

My 1999 Merc 25hp 2 stroke weighs 119lbs. and cost me $750.00

I have seen more than one thread on here about 25hp 4 strokes that won't get a 14ft Tracker Grizzley on plane with just a little weight in them.

My 25hp 2 smoker will get my 15ft Alumacraft on plane and run 25mph with over 750lbs of people, plus another 200lbs of plywoodflooring and front deck, gear, cooler, and gas. 30mph with just me and the dog! And thats with a bent up chipped old prop!

If thats not reason enough, I know I don't want another 50lbs hanging off the back of my transom.

The only way I would have a 4 stroke is if it was given to me, or I had a boat big enough to hang a Verado off the back.

Just my personal preference. I may change my mind one day though!

i vote for 2-stroke. better power to weight ration.
emissions can be reduced by keeping the motor in tip top shape and making sure you use the right fuel mix. i'm all for environment protection, but oil in the water is blown out of proportion by some environmentalists, even big oilspills get eaten away by microbes, so your rainbow film should disappear quite fast.

My vote is for the 2 stroke.... If you are going to go four stroke I would look at the Suzuki. Best gas milage. https://www.suzukimarine.com/df25/

Alright, just ordered a brand new 25hp 2-stroke Yamaha motor. That should do the trick. I'll post pictures of me hugging and kissing it when it gets here :p

FINALLY got to try out my new 25hp 2-strokey Yammy. All I can say is :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: that engine is no joke! I was breaking in the engine so didn't get past half-throttle and I was flying down the lake. My previous 9.9hp engine was a joke compared to this monster. Not sure how often I'll go WOT, it's on a little 1440MV. Anyhow, very happy with the 2-stroke decision =D>

Latest posts