25 hp johnson running issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best bet is to watch CL or ebay possibly. Just keep an eye out for someone with a blown powerhead that wants to sell the motor for parts. Just watch out because prior to 85 all the 20-25hp had split gearcases which I don't think your 78' 35 has. After 85 all 20-25-30 hp have the same gearcase as yours I believe.

yep no spit gear case on mine......so anything past 85 20, 25, 30 will work on mine? that may make it a little easier to find one! thanks for the info

Yes I believe OMC upgraded the gearcases in 85' on all there 20-25's to match the 30's and old 35's. Your 89' 25 hp should fit it, not that you would want to do that.

took the boat out yesterday for a lil fishing after work and it's still performing well.....managed to get right at 30 mph but was windy as heck....i have to run the trim pin in the 2 from the bottom hole cause the front of the boat is so light......i still think i can get a little more out of it...but am happy with 30mph.....and my prop is a chewed up and has a big chunk taken out of it......the fishing sucked! the bass seem to still be spawning (odd) but i did manage to catch a nice fat mamma!

Yeah I run mine in the 2nd hole from the top trim spot but I have to have at least #130 in front of the forward seat to keep it from hoping or porpoising.

The bass haven't even thought about spawning here yet :lol: I guess it has been a week since I was out but still only had 47 degree water temps last week. Been a cool spring here. The last 2 days got into the 80's so maybe we are in the 50's now I hope.

well we had literally no winter here......and clinton lake is a power plant lake so the water temps are well above 65. but thats just surface temp so it might be cooler further down in the water column but still usually the fish have already spawned......