25 HP too big?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your boat looks bigger than my 14 ft and mine is rated up to 28, but mine is a very very well build 14 ft, just smaller. Some 14s are rated lower. I would say you are good to go, get it!!! Here is a picture of mine

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334204052.952885.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334204052.952885.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 2,774
Yes it will be worth it! That Merc is pre 85' so it is probably only pushing 22-23 HP at the prop anyway. You will not regret it IMO.

I have an 88' 30hp Johnson on my 14' Lowe that is rated for a 25hp. It is fast and fun! At first I was a little nervous jumping from a 15 to a 30hp but now I am trying to get my boat to hit 32-34mph which is screaming in a 14ft tin :mrgreen:

I would love to see the look on your face the first time you crank that throttle if you get it........ :D

1munford said:
just because you have the power doesn't mean you always have to use it, I've got a 300hp truck that I drive like a grandma! but if you need or want to use it its there. you could let the money decide too, go there with 600 cash if he takes it great if not O'well you weren't sure you wanted it anyway!
Exactly! I have a 25hp on my jon and usually half throttle is plenty. The extra power is great when you get an extra person or two in your boat, or just want to see what she can do on some smooth water :D

I have a 25 Johnny on mine,my boat is rated for up to a 40hp. The 25 pushes her along nicely and if I need to run in fast I can. I would not be too worried about that motor on your boat.....but I would still try to find out the hp rating on your hull first.

My 1977 14ft lund was rated for 20hp, just for your info. I do not doubt a 25hp would have been ok on it.

Although if I had a 25hp motor, I would want it to be elec start, I got tired of pulling the 15hp outboard on my lund. I guess the new engines pull over easier but that old mariner did not always start on the first pull.

Tim

From the pic you posted, I'd say a 25hp was too big and wouldn't go any higher than a 10 or 15 max. It does not appear that you have sufficient bracing on the transom. Not to support the motor, but to absorb and distribute the stress from the motor pushing the boat too hard. I've actually seen Jon's that were overpowered and had the gunwale buckle as a result. If the motor runs good, I'd still buy it as an investment. You could turn-around and double your money on that one.

Mojo^ said:
From the pic you posted, I'd say a 25hp was too big and wouldn't go any higher than a 10 or 15 max. It does not appear that you have sufficient bracing on the transom. Not to support the motor, but to absorb and distribute the stress from the motor pushing the boat too hard. I've actually seen Jon's that were overpowered and had the gunwale buckle as a result. If the motor runs good, I'd still buy it as an investment. You could turn-around and double your money on that one.

Think the pic you reference is a different boat. The original poster has a Valco, and from what I've seen, they look to be built like a brick s*#house.

sirbeigealot said:
Here is a pic of my boat:

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/sirbeigealot/boat3-1.jpg

This is his boat mojo. The transom looks sturdier than my 14' Lowe and I am turning 30+hp at the prop and have no issues whatsoever with the strength of my transom. That 82' Merc would be lucky to put out 23hp at the prop. He should not have any issues at all.

Hey sirbeigalot can you get us a pic of what the other side of your transom looks like inside your boat? Does it have a brace leg that goes to the bottom of the boat?

Here's a few pics of the inside of the Transom

https://mail.aol.com/35919-211/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=26009681&folder=NewMail&partId=1

https://mail.aol.com/35919-211/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=26009680&folder=NewMail&partId=1

Without pointing to another site for reference, it appears that a 1970's era Valco boat in the 14 foot size range can be rated anywhere from 10hp max. up through 60hp max. Without knowing the exact model name/number, it would be difficult to guess at the rating. Is there a data plate hidden somewhere that might hint at the model name/number?

Hey sirbigealot I cant see your pics and I don't want to make an AOL account just to see 2 pics. Can u put them up another way?

Maybe these will work

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/messaging/attachment.php?attach_id=8145f3545fca3cf6948b588e23ddb7f7&mid=id.265739790187278&ext=1334287461&hash=AQD1Obcmx1MmJCJd

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/messaging/attachment.php?attach_id=4886e77d2a1a75e4b2ae5afd193337a6&mid=id.386090218080151&ext=1334287461&hash=AQCvS9AO_TDmRyWF

If this dont work, I am out of options!

1334283762352.jpg

I'm no expert on the subject, but that transom looks pretty stout to me. I'd go get that 25 before he sells it!