25 HP too big?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the same transom as my valco u-14 - it has a max rating on the plate of 25 hp. You are good.

Just make sure your transom & brace are solid, and a 25hp will be just fine. My 1959 Alumacraft FDR is rated for 35hp, and your transom brace looks beefier then mine... although the Alumacraft aquaduct system helps brace the transom im sure. You should still be just fine with a 25hp, just make sure the supports on your trailer run all the way to the transom wall so you don't bend the hull during transport.

That was actually my next question... With a 7.5 motor I left it on the transom during transport. I would ratchet it down solid so that it did not move. Do you think I can do the same with the 25 without damage?

I have never had a transom saver... Do you think I will need 1? It is definitely heavier but I do not know how much heavier

As long as the bunks on your trailer run all the way to the transom of your boat you will be just fine. The 25 probably only weighs 40 pounds more than your 7.5 which is really not much at all.

Johny25 said:
As long as the bunks on your trailer run all the way to the transom of your boat you will be just fine. The 25 probably only weighs 40 pounds more than your 7.5 which is really not much at all.
Great...Thanks!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
How much clearance is there from the motor to the ground?

I was suppose to take the boat out today, but found that my bunks were about 6 inches short of the transom, so I spent the day today replacing the bunks with new ones that measure correctly.
Regarding the clearance...it does seem that the motor is longer than my 7.5, but not much longer. I was going to check for clearance when I pulled out of the driveway. I can tilt this motor so that the shaft is elevated, but I wouldnt want to travel like that.

The 25 probably just looks longer visually because the engine block and cover sit up above your boat so much higher. If the are both short shaft (or long shafts) then they are most likely the same length or within an inch of each other. My 9.9 looks really short next to my 30hp yet it actually is 1 inch longer, both long shafts, one is an 87' the other an 88', both Johnsons. So the overall length of the motor is more, but the shaft from the transom down is virtually the same give or take 1 inch.

I know your dilemma. Because I just recently got a very wide 14' Myers semi V (almost 48" wide at bottom) that I am currently modifying out. Anyway, I replaced both the inside & out transom boards with new 3/4" oak board (inside) & 3/4" Plywood outside. Plus there are two sizable transom brackets as well. My point being, I am also going with a 25hp Johnson but I am also installing a side console steering system (taken out of a 14' Starcraft aluminum boat). This will help with even weight distribution. Imo, I don't think the motor will be too much BUT, I can't say for 100% certain UNTIL I get her done & out on the water. But I gotta believe it would take a much bigger motor than a 25hp to break a combination oak/plywood/aluminum transom driven under normal boating conditions (I.e. not hitting submerged crap while planned out or trying to do a "Dukes Of Hazzard on the water..jumping wakes). Btw, the 25hp Johnson is coming off of a 10.5' tri-hull Boston Whaler Carolina Skeef knockoff made by Sea Sport (rated for a 20hp). Good Luck!

Going a little larger as long as your transom can hold it is a good thing, mainly you can run less than full rpm's and go faster than you want...To me this is the only issue, but your talking to a guy that's fabin up a possible dual 30 hp yahama tiller model modifications so I might be partial to more power...I had 15 hp on my boat before and it went fine, but my 30hp flies over the flats...so I leave you with bigger is better and get the bigger motor is my vote...

As always tight lines, cold beer, and Go Gators!

I'm still looking forward to getting it out there...
I believe that this motor is about 1.5 inches longer than the other motor overall.
Obviously it looks bigger sitting on the transom, so maybe it is an illusion that it looks longer, but like I said I dont want to transport with the shaft tilted up....so I am hoping that there will be good clearance for the driveway, etc.
I'm sure I will make it some time this week. :)

I think your always better off transporting a boat with the motor tilted up though, to be honest if you go up a steep sudden incline it would be a shame to drag your power for your boat on the ground...just my thoughts...

Take a look at my project and you'll see what I mean about the jack plate

As always tight lines, cold beers, and Go Gators!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25185

Gators5220 said:
I think your always better off transporting a boat with the motor tilted up though, to be honest if you go up a steep sudden incline it would be a shame to drag your power for your boat on the ground...just my thoughts...

If you want to transport your little 25hp around like this on a transom saver then I see no issue with it. All though these are designed for large outboards usually. Haven't seen a 25hp on one yet, because they don't need it IMO. images.jpg

I would HIGHLY advise not transporting your engine tilted up on it's own tilt brackets. Trimmed up on the trim pin would be better than the tilt bracket but I still wouldn't recommend it. This causes a lot of stress on your transom and brackets themselves. It is best to transport your engine in the vertical position unless you have the transom saver. I only have 9.5-10" clearance when my motor is vertical during transport and have never had an issue hitting or scraping anything. Just pay attention to your driving and all will be good.

Yes I defentely agree with always transporting your motor tilted up, mine doesn't have power tilt and trim so I use a more sophisticated method...a 2 x 4 under the power head haha...works thou tried and true

As always tight lines, cold beer, & Go Gators!

my buil https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25185