6-10 to 7-1 2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
6-10-2009 CHP & RI
Left the house at 10pm and headed to the Pier . I walked to the first 2 lights and saw bait and Flounder feeding on them but a few friends were there and insisted the bite has been very slow . It was about slack High Tide and near Midnight before I launched the canoe .
Before I left home I went through this bag of "tailless" Gulp .
100_4244.jpg

I saved them in the Spring of 2007 (Approximately 4 months worth) I was going to grind them up for chum but the chum thing never took off in Saltwater .
Anyhow recently I have been using the Mullets until they were completely useless . So I go through the bag and separate the White and Chart Mullets .. Holy Crap !
100_4246.jpg

So thats the plan to use these with a Ribbon ;)
By the time I paddle out the tide has started to go out so I pick a spot and go to work :)
I had a limit within an HOUR :) . I released #4 Four times waiting for a Doormat but it never came . The keepers I released were 18.5 to 21 inches . The stronger the tidal pull the faster they bit :) . I didnt see anyone on the Pier either except for a stray person here and there . The fish stacked up nicely but from 3am to 4am I got 2 TB's and 1 was 18.25" ;)
Now I just want to fill my card and fish hard for the next hour but landed 4 TB's ..
I pack it up and head for RI

Roosevelt Inlet 5:15am
I put on the corkers and fill a bucket with the right gear and head out .. I am totally alone :):)
100_4248.jpg

By 6am I have 3 TB's on Gulp Pogies and the 4th fish was nice enough to take home :)
100_4255.jpg

I fished till 10am with about 20 or so TB's and 1 Bluefish bite off and 1 Keeper Flounder ;)
The guy next to me landed a 22" Bluefish minutes after my biteoff .
At the top of the tide I saw lots of Minnows , Silversides and Lots and Lots of Shrimp .

Last night before the tide got rolling I saw a Seahorse , 2 Pipefish , Lots of Crabs from .5" to 2" swimming everywhere and lots of Big heavy Females swimming the surface . Bunker flashed around me all night .

100_4252.jpg

100_4253.jpg

100_4254.jpg

100_4256.jpg

6-15-09 CHP
Arrived at the Pier at about 1:30am and found high water that was stained and just starting to go out . I walked out to the first light because I saw a familiar car in the lot and sure enough I find Eddie playing with some TB's .. We shoot the sh!t for a bit but after a few missed fish and 3 landed Tb's I had seen enough and went to gear up for the launch . I was on the water and fishing at 2:30am .
I had my first fish and a keeper within 5 minutes then had to search out some TB's and the keepers came as well . I had my 4 by 3:30am and missed 3 nice fish .. I busted the point of the jig off and was too lazy to cut it off and retie .. Oh well ;)
The bite was slow but I cant complain about the size of the fish they averaged 17" .
The Bunker and Shad were thick and both running into my line and there were some nice surface eruptions .
An hour before sunrise I started to see some Purple & Gold so I switched tactics but could not get threw the Shad .. They were thick and I ended up switching back to Gulp Mullet (Bodies) with Ribbons and continued catching Flounder .
At 5am the bite just stopped and I got NOTHING for the next hour then landed a Big Conch that had a Clam it was trying to pull into its shell ?? Anyhow I took that as a sign and called it a day .. It was BEAUTIFUL out there with NO wind and NO wakes .. Tide was ripping and I used 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 tied in tandem and I still barely felt bottom .
The water cleared up considerably and it was dead calm but NO fish .. They slapped the surface in 360 degree's around me but nothing wanted to play .
4 hours and 4 keepers with about 25 TB's .
100_4267.jpg

100_4268.jpg

CHP 6-24 / 6-25 (The Big Tease)
Been a bit down in the dumps but finally mustered the energy to get out on the water . I arrived around 10pm and was locked and loaded by 10:30pm . The tide was seriously high .. Up to the grass line and still coming in . I favor launching from the left side but it turned out to be a BIG mistake .. I got out beyond the barricade to the last light and dropped the hook .. In the next 2 hours I caught 3 14 to 16 inch TB Flounder . I started with just Pink Mullets and picked up the 3 TB's but they were far apart so after #3 I added some ribbons , this also was a mistake because the Crabs were Super thick and Super Hungry . So 2 hours go by and the water is still almost up to the "white pipe" and impossible to cross over unless I went all the way around and aint no way I was going to do that in the dark ;) .
I finally could not take it any more and headed to the barricade to cross over .. at the beginning of the "skinny" section the "white pipe" is just a tad higher but I still had to dunk the front and just barely made it under but I did make it :) .. I dropped the hook and rigged up 2 4" Black Shad BA's . I started catching fish immediately but they were not what I was looking for so I played around with some swimbaits on the bottom with the BA on top and finally landed some keepers .. I had boxed 2 and lost 2 at the side of the canoe .. I kept playing around with the lures and finally unlocked the bite :):)
I used either a 4" Pearl Storm or a 4" Chartreuse Tsunami on the bottom with a Teaser on top ;) This was the ticket :)
I picked up another keeper and then had my 4th in the net but it jumped out of the net and spit the hook :( .. It was a nice fish too .
For the next 3 hours I bailed fish with a total of 12 keepers to 24" and way too many TB's to count . I could have easily had a limit of 22" + if I had known they were stacked like they were but either way this was by far the best Flounder night I have had in 2 years .
I was covered in Krill and the canoe had a nice coating of Krill and silversides with a few small crabs in the mix .
The Big Tease(R)
100_4269.jpg

100_4270.jpg

Even got a few Spot :)
100_4271.jpg

100_4273.jpg

100_4272.jpg

I saw John , Morty and Steve on the pier but I really didnt see much going on up on the planks .
Hope you guys stuck a few flatfish as well ;)
Super Duper Night !!

CHP 6-25 / 6-26 - 2009
Got to the pier at about 10:30pm and found the winds stiff so I walked out to take a peek to see if it was conoeable
Plan was to meet up with Steve and go afloat for some Flatfish but as I get out there I see Steve already out there and headed back in to wait for the winds to clam down .
At about 11:30pm I finally head to my truck for a rod and gear and decide to hit the planks .
The pier was pretty packed and not many Flounder and very few Spot being caught .
I ran into Tim and Steve also hit the planks for a bit .
It was slow to start and Steve ended up leaving saying he needed some sleep tonight so Tim and I hit the pier in segments picking off some small Flounder all the way out .
The Crabs were thick and plain Gulp was the ticket with Pink being dominant for me .
I finally reach "my light" and shortly after Tim also leaves so I stay put at that light for about 2 more hours and get about 20 more TBs .
I called it quits right at daylight so I could pick up the Grandkids and take them out fishing for some FW action .
Total for the night was along 40 TB's for me with 2 Flounder over 18" but not 18.5" and the rest averaged about 12 to 14 inches .
Good night with lots of pullage

CHP 6-27 / 6-28 - 2009
CHP 6-27
Jimmy came down at around midnight so we loaded up and headed for the Pier . We were on the water just around 1am and found the water stained with the tide ripping out and 2 boats and 1 kayak out around us .
We fished hard and throughout the night landed about 50 to 60 TB Flounder . We never got to hit the "HOT SPOT" and it was depressing to watch the guy who had it not fish the right areas .. Oh well !
Daylight came and more of the same so we packed it in as the sun burnt off the fog/mist at around 10am .. It got hot again !

CHP 6-27 / 6-28
Jimmy and I got back around 10PM and headed back out into stiff winds . Saw 2 boats out there and by the time we got set up had 2 boats and 3 Kayaks and 1 Canoe plus us out there . IT WAS VERY SLOW !
Took me about an hour to land my first fish being a Flounder at about 18" .
The Crabs were at double staff and the fish just werent biting .
After the second hour the noat near us landed 2 small TB's and Jimmy got his first at about 17" .
We start to see some surface action and not long later i get hooked into a decent fish and tell Jimmy to get the net :) I thought it was a really nice Flounder until the Stripers head came out of the water :):) .. What a rush !! I get the fish close and it goes halfway into the net but before Jimmy could lift the fish escaped and made a few more blistering runs .. All said and done its a 31" Striper taken on a 4" White Gulp Shrimp ;)
The bite still was not happening and all I can attribute it to is that the winds were against the tide and it never really started to "rip" out !
SO now we try for Spot with Sabiki's and BWFB and in 30 minutes we have about 50 Spot all in the 5 to 6 inch range . I scale and fillet about half of them getting about 4 strips off each Spot (I just cut the Fillets in half) .
We fish until 4am with me having 1 Striper and 4 TB Flounder and Jimmy with 3 TB Flounder ... Only 1 fish came on cut Spot/Gulp and it was heck trying to keep those nig female Blueclaws off t your line with or without bait .
At 4am we decided to leave as soon as it was light enough to see what we were doing and it was plain rough out there . I would have liked to be off the water Period but it was much safe being able to see what we were doing with 2 to 3 footers and us rolling about throughtout the flats trying to get to the beach without rolling .. What a BEACH !
100_4274.jpg

Toggin the Outter Wall 7-1-09
Actual "Time" eludes me so I just say we started early and fished till 2pm . It looked like it was going to be a great day when we first got toggled in .. I was cutting Greenies and a few bites were had with 1 TB Tog . After about 90 minutes and 2 TB Tog I was intenet on putting one in the box , I was beginning to lose hope when a nice Male Tog screams off with my line .
Sitting here trying to recall the days events and coming up blank except for 1 word .. "SLOW" .
I ended up with 2 keeper Tog and 11 TB's and 6 Citation size Oyster Crackers .
The cooler ..
100_4276.jpg

100_4275.jpg

Wait let me not forget the RAIN !! I certainly didnt see any rain in the forecast until after 4pm .. The weatherman has it made :)

6-26-09 Broadkill and Wagamons (With The Grandkids)
After more than 2 days with NO sleep I finally was able to grab a catnap before heading out at noon for some Freshwater action with the Grandkids .
I hadnt been out for awhile so we headed local and hit the Town Park in Milton on the Broadkill . The water was almost high and 50 percent clear and while walking up to the water we saw baitfish and fish trying to eat them ... Fish popping all over and it was looking Great !
Rigged up the rods with small Fin"S" and went to work .. And work and it actually was feeling like work with the SUN at full light and temps in the mid 90's it was hot and the fish just mocked us as they put on a surface show that left the mind boggled . After an hour and only 1 bite I finally told the woman to go get some Night Crawlers to hopefully save the day .. It didnt help .
I finally land a small 12" LMB but that was it ! Next stop was the Dock below the Spillway at Wagamons Pond .
Took about 5 minutes and ..
Mickey with a Gill :)
DSCI0033.jpg

Not to be outdone Zack also gets a Gill :)
DSCI0034.jpg

That was it so Mickey and Nana headed to Superfresh for lunch while Zack and I hit Wagamons and a few minutes later ..
Zack with a nice Yellow Perch :)
DSCI0035.jpg

He was on em :)
DSCI0037.jpg

DSCI0038.jpg

By this time Mickey and Nana had returned just as Zack and I found some nice Gills to play with and she also wanted in on the fun :)
DSCI0039.jpg

DSCI0040.jpg

DSCI0043.jpg

As we finally gave in to the heat we saw a nice bunch of Geese with a few hurt soldiers :(
DSCI0044.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

DSCI0046.jpg

DSCI0047.jpg

DSCI0048.jpg

Momma came and picked up the little ones but I am surer we will be doing it again soon :)

Sometime last weekend someone robbed my truck for a few hundred dollars worth of Gulp and Plugs :evil:

Wow, you're always slaying those fluke! Awesome job! BTW, those chartreuse swimming mullets sure are great, huh? :D

Didn't get a chance to read the whole post ...yet.
Looks like alot of good eating though.
Getting pretty nappy.
Did see the last line where someone stole some baits,that stinks man.
Happens everywhere,,,,stole my cd's,sunglasses and loose coins last week...guess I'm going to have to start locking and taking my keys out the truck:(