'89 Merc 45 remote steer to tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducktracker

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new on this forum but have been reading for a while and searching when i have questions. I am working on converting an 89 bass tracker tx 17 to a duck boat and want to convert my mercury 45 hp to a tiller. Has anyone converted this model/year to a tiller or done something similar. I have checked out other conversions on here but it seems like most are done on johnson/evinrude motors. Any info/help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

I did the same conversion on an older 20hp Merc. It was a real pain because of having to dismantle the motor so far in order to install the bracket/arm that the tiller actually mounted on but other than that, wa pretty easy. I'm pretty sure it would be a much easier conversion on later model motors like yours or newer.

JMichael said:
I did the same conversion on an older 20hp Merc. It was a real pain because of having to dismantle the motor so far in order to install the bracket/arm that the tiller actually mounted on but other than that, wa pretty easy. I'm pretty sure it would be a much easier conversion on later model motors like yours or newer.

Thanks JMichael for the input. Would you be able to comment on where you found the parts, and cost for them? Id this something I could get from mercury or will I have t find on older Mercury tiller motor and take the the parts from it?

I had to resort to ebay for used parts since nothing like that is being made by the mfg any longer. You'll just have to check with a dealer so see if the parts are still available. If cost is of concern, you might want to shop for used parts on ebay, I recommend that you be sure you can buy/get "all" the parts needed before you start buying the first part you find.

PM me if you have any questions, i just did this conversion and I also have most of the parts needed to do another.

Latest posts