About 80% done 1988 Alumacraft Update: 8/22/09 New Pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cyberflexx said:
I know why the model number is 1457. I measured the top width and its 57 inches, the bottom is 36 inches. I dont know why Alumacraft didnt call it a 1436 LW ( livewell)

With that smaller width I would really be careful about raised decks - if you were thinking about them. Anything under 40'' or so is usually pretty tippy. 3 kids and a wife are too important not to be extra careful. I would put in a floor and have it low for center of gravity. JMO, though. Keep up the hard work!

My friend Daniel and I repacked the wheel bearings today. We have never done this before so the 1st one took about an hour because the races was stuck and we had to keep knocking it with e screwdriver and hammer to get it to come free. The rear bearing was in bad shape, I am surprised I was able to get it home. One of the rollers was at a 90 degree angle and was causing a scrape sound, in turn detroying the rear races. Took us about 30-45 min. to go Advance Auto Parts where some young guy was cocking an attitude because he didnt want to go look for the bearing and cross ref. it for me. After he went to pull the part, I told the other guy there about that guys attitude. I bought the only 2 bearings he had, then took a trip to NAPA where the guys were really nice and they will be getting my business from now on.

We also put 2 more bolts in the TH Marine Mini Jacker to hold the wood block in place when you take the motor off. It was recommended in the paper work so I ran a 5/16th bolt and flat washers and lock nuts.

I also replaced the lights on the trailer and almost finished up the wiring. I have one more side marker light to wire up but it was arounf 11pm so I decided to put my mosquito attracting light up and come inside. I really dont like having to work on this thing at night have to wait till kids go to bed) but I am determined to get this done so I can use it :)

I am re-thinking my decking plans so the boat wont be too tippy. Based on the pics in this thread, how high should I make the decking? I was thinking the height of the middle seat as I want the deck to be pretty long since I am clumsy at times, heck I about fell of the front of my Ranger and the Smokercraft I just sold.. 8)

I want a deck, not just flooring in the bottom because it has already been floored with aluminum and rivets.

cyberflexx said:
I am re-thinking my decking plans so the boat wont be too tippy. Based on the pics in this thread, how high should I make the decking? I was thinking the height of the middle seat as I want the deck to be pretty long since I am clumsy at times, heck I about fell of the front of my Ranger and the Smokercraft I just sold.. 8)

I want a deck, not just flooring in the bottom because it has already been floored with aluminum and rivets.

Everybody's sense of balance is different, so that is a tough question for someone else to answer. Take the boat out loaded about how you would fish it, and walk on the seats. If that is uncomfortable for you, then that is too high. Remember to consider different water conditions, too. If you are clumsy like you say, (me, too) you probably would not like a deck that high on that narrow of a boat.

I decked my 1436 Monark Jon, and here's what I can tell you. It's not rock solid steady like a pontoon boat, and if you have 2 grown men and a 16 year old teenager all get to the same side, you will feel like it might tip over, but I wouldn't make mine any smaller. I kept a little "pit" area to keep my kids in when I go out ( I have 3 kids age 4 and down). If you're clumsy, no matter how you slice it, a 14ft jon is going to be awkward at times, but I've taken my family out before mods, and after mods, and honestly, it was easier to do after the mod then before it. One thing that will help the stability is making your seats where you can remove the pole and just insert the seat into the base. You will have a lower center of gravity then (like when you're driving) and be able to add the height when you want or need it.

Henry is right, everybody's sense of balance is different, and another thing that will help you is getting a transom mount trolling motor. Keeps the deck free of cables that could trip you up or take up room for other things.

I think this is going to be a great build, and you're doing a great job. You have a great boat, and a great family. I know from experience what a blessed man you are.

I was able to temporarily mount my motor yesterday. It looks about 4 inches too low. I am going to raise the mini jacker up a few notches. I might have to re-drill the transom but I really dont want to have to do that. I also found my 3 gallon fuel tank and bought a new hose and bulb and fittings.

I also noticed my motor will not shift into neutral, with the shift handle on shift. I dont know why it is doing that. It worked fine when i stored it 3 years ago.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • MotorTooLow.jpg
    MotorTooLow.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • IMAG0719.jpg
    IMAG0719.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,291
  • IMAG0721.jpg
    IMAG0721.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,291
We pulled off the mini jacker and raised it up 4 inches. We had 2 holes in the transom so we filled them with marine silicone and ran a bolt washers and a lock nut through the hole, tightened them down, then put silicone around the bolt and nut to make sure no leaks will occue.

Here are the pics of the motor at what I think is about the correct height. The boat is on a slight incline, so i think the motor will need to be adjusted down some with the setting on the thruster bolt ( i think thats what its called )

Attachments

• motorheight.jpg
    motorheight.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,277
  • motorremount.jpg
    motorremount.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,277
cyberflexx said:
is anyone still watching this thread? no comments for a few days.. :|

Haha, we are. I've been busy. But I have a question. How many inches does the transom jack give you? Is it solidly on there? Looks like only some of the bolt holes are on the transom and some are above? Is that right and ok to do? Thinking of options for my boat and I'm leaning a few different ways.

ober51 said:
cyberflexx said:
is anyone still watching this thread? no comments for a few days.. :|

Haha, we are. I've been busy. But I have a question. How many inches does the transom jack give you? Is it solidly on there? Looks like only some of the bolt holes are on the transom and some are above? Is that right and ok to do? Thinking of options for my boat and I'm leaning a few different ways.

It seems solid, I dont have it bolted down all the way. I am going to use 3 bolts on each side. I am up 4.5 inches from the orginal motor mount pictures. I havent tested it in the water as I cant get the motor out of forward..

ober51 said:
If you have a chance, can you take a bunch of pictures of it from different angles?

yes i will do that tomorrow... right now i am having major motor problems.. im about ready to throw it in the river...wife fighting me over getting another motor. had a friend come over and we could not get it to shift. its in a bind somewhere or a broken gear or somthing..

cyberflexx said:
ober51 said:
If you have a chance, can you take a bunch of pictures of it from different angles?

yes i will do that tomorrow... right now i am having major motor problems.. im about ready to throw it in the river...wife fighting me over getting another motor. had a friend come over and we could not get it to shift. its in a bind somewhere or a broken gear or somthing..

Thanks in advance.

I wish I could help with the motor, but I really dont know much at all.

ober51 said:
cyberflexx said:
ober51 said:

Thanks in advance.

I wish I could help with the motor, but I really dont know much at all.

sorry for not gettng the pics or you today. i have not had a good evening but i won the battle. wife agreed to me buying a brand new motor.

Here are the pics

The bolts were so tight, we didnt need to torque them down yet. We were test fitting the motor and since I can't get it to shift and have been working on it, I left it as-is for now. I'll tighten the bolts down after I get another motor

Attachments

• IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMAG0748.jpg
    IMAG0748.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMAG0749.jpg
    IMAG0749.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,271
Wow, ok sweet, thats exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a lot for this - just need to get my boat legal and I would do this in a heartbeat.

Latest posts