Alumacraft 1448MV - Catfish, Casting & Bowfishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Delaware, I do alot of striper and cat fishing as well but I focus in salt/brackish water. Really like your set up on the boat looks nice! I sent an email to HB and I am awaiting an anwser, will let you know if I do!

I took some electrical tape and covered the "hole" in the ducer bracket. This cut down the roostertail but it is still spraying water on my motor. I will be putting some kind of splash guard over the ducer.

check your pm's!
ALso I will try and get you a link of something someone did on another website, he used some kind of toilet flange that he cut in half and mounted over top of the transducer, left enough clearance so it could kick up, but stopped the spray. It doesnt look bad, just hate to drill into my transome anymore than I have too!

Here's the link
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-how-s/393026-easy-fix-tranducer-spraying-water-engine.html

HB is sending out a rubber spacer now to cover the hole in the bracket. It's included in all the new birds that they throw in with xtra instructions....Free if you call and contact them.
They never really said what it was for, but now it makes sense as this part was not included in the original instructions.

KevinWI said:
HB is sending out a rubber spacer now to cover the hole in the bracket. It's included in all the new birds that they throw in with xtra instructions....Free if you call and contact them.
They never really said what it was for, but now it makes sense as this part was not included in the original instructions.

Should have mine by next week, i replaced my transducer last year but I must have gotten old stock because it was not included! Really home this fixes my issue, i really dislike all the saltwater being sprayed all over my engine cowling!

The white bass are just about ready to make the spawn run. Now that I've got my catfish/striper peice of my boat squared away, it's time to focus on getting the bow ready for some casting.

Bought this seat from Cabelas. It is the Cabelas' brand and looks to be built very well. It has aluminum hinges and plenty of cushion. I paired the seat with an offset post. If you look at the pics you'll see that I need the offset so that I can deploy the TM with the seat in place. I also like the offset because it gives the illusion of more deck space, you can be closer or farther away. We'll see how it fishes....but so far I would say highly recommeded offset for small boats.

2012-03-08_07-33-13_273.jpg

2012-03-08_07-33-31_922.jpg

2012-03-08_07-34-07_843.jpg

I also replaced my TM plugs. I had an el cheapo plug...and pretty much melted 2 of them. Upgraded to this plug hoping that it will hold up to 8 hrs of solid trolling while bowfishing.

2012-03-08_07-34-22_412.jpg

2012-03-08_07-34-34_178.jpg

Jonah

How do you like the hand controlled TM? After fishing for 3 season with the foot controlled, I've been considering a hand controlled and would like your thoughts (pros/cons) of your experience. The foot control is fine, but I stand up when fishing and turning it on/off is a pain as unit slides around a bunch. I've considered screwing it down, but it would put stress on the cord when stowed.

Awesome! I bought it from BassPro because I didn't know if it would work or if I would like it or if it would hold up. I have a good track record with Basspro and returning/exchanging items.

Ictalurus said:
Jonah

How do you like the hand controlled TM? After fishing for 3 season with the foot controlled, I've been considering a hand controlled and would like your thoughts (pros/cons) of your experience. The foot control is fine, but I stand up when fishing and turning it on/off is a pain as unit slides around a bunch. I've considered screwing it down, but it would put stress on the cord when stowed.

For how I use my boat, hand control is the best option. Here's what I like about it.

-Quick response. You maneuver the motor in the direction you want quickly....no delay from foot controls or electric motor turning the motor.
-Drive the motor by feel. You don't have to look at it to know which direction you're going.
-Use it sitting or standing. No playing stork like with a foot control.
-No foot control to trip over on the deck, using a wireless remote ties up one hand
-Intuitive. You don't have to "get use" to a foot pedal or learn a remote.
-When I bowfish, I have two people on the bow. If I get a fish on, my buddy can take over driving the motor easily.
-Simpler design...less to go wrong.
-No hitting the pedal and almost throwing yourself off the boat.

The advantages that a foot or wireless motor has over a hand control are inconsequential and fewer than the disadvantages. At lest in my application.

Disadvantages....
Not totally hands free.
More difficult to control boat in strong wind and strong current when casting.

fishing from the back of the boat is huge in my application...where my locator is...makes foot pedal more of a useful tool. My guests fish up front But if you are a front deck type captain of your boat, then go with what works best for you.
BTW....nice setup you have made for yourself. efficient. =D>

Did some ultra lite fishing this weekend and tested out the offset post. I love it. Unless you fish some really choppy water....you are missing out not having one. It made my deck feel like it's twice as big as it is.

Look at this pick...doesn't it look like I have more room on my deck?
2012-03-11_12-55-47_515.jpg

Pretty good day. We put Largemouth, Smallmouth, Spotted Bass, White Bass, Striped Bass and crappie in the boat...all on ultra lites....all with the same lure.
2012-03-10_12-06-18_71.jpg

2012-03-10_09-00-57_904.jpg

2012-03-10_15-14-26_266.jpg

Looks like a solid day to me! Ultralite fishing is fun. All fish are big fish...

Interesting seat post thing. My build is going to be much more low tech than this, or that would be a great idea...

my offset post came in this weekend....fit my boat well....I just ordered a second one. I realize they are class B and rated for not more than 5mph, but hope that is only a safety thing for upper deck mounts...have one mounted on the floor and hope it works while motor is operating.

Your build is awesome and it looks like she produces fish. A question for you though...Don't you ever smile? Every pic you have the same look on your face. If I had your boat and was catching what you guys caught, I'd be smiling up a storm! Just kidding, but seriously, your boat/build is sweet. :D

Latest posts