Anyone else smoke a pipe?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nathanielrthomas said:
or I could just make a post about Copenhagen.

Glad you enjoyed it, truthfully, I'm glad that could post it, I love pipe smoking.

So, Copenhagen huh? I've always preferred to old timey chew to Cope. I reach for Beechnut when I want a dip. If I really want a pouch and can't get Beechnut, I'll settle for Redman or Levi Garrett, but neither measure up.

I kinda equate pipe smoking (vs. cigarette) to chewing; pipe smoking is to Beechnut chew as cigarette smoking is to, hmm, Skoal Mixed Berry or Skoal Citrus #-o. If you've smoked either, or chewed either, you probably get what I mean. :wink:

pamountainman said:
I usually smoke it when the mosquitoes are bad on the lake, my grandfather smoked one, and I always loved the aroma of it when we went to their house. I was looking at a few online retailers to find a new one, I never knew they could fetch up to $5,000 :shock: .

Do not smoke at all but $5gs for a pipe!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

lswoody said:
pamountainman said:
I usually smoke it when the mosquitoes are bad on the lake, my grandfather smoked one, and I always loved the aroma of it when we went to their house. I was looking at a few online retailers to find a new one, I never knew they could fetch up to $5,000 :shock: .

Do not smoke at all but $5gs for a pipe!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know! :shock: $5K, it better do a lot more than just burn tobacco if you know what I mean :-s

In all honesty, as I mentioned in my big post, there's quite a difference between a $100 pipe and a $325 pipe (the most expensive I've had the opportunity to smoke), but there HAS to be a law of diminishing returns, because $5K is A LOT of clams!

I'm sure it's a nice piece of eye candy, I'm sure it smokes VERY well, but really, $5K better? That's hard to imagine!

wow Rick that was quite the post. I had no idea pipe smoking was that involved. Can't say I ever have, but I definitely enjoy the smell.

I smoke a pipe on occasion. The best one I've found is glass. Probably the cleanest way to smoke a pipe.

cavman138 said:
I had no idea pipe smoking was that involved.

Man, and I didn't even touch on tobaccos yet! 8)

It's as involved as you want it to be. For me, I'm a guy who enjoys procedure, routine, details, etc. Hence I find pleasure in the tactility of maintaining and smoking my pipes.

Once you have a tobacco that you regularly smoke, it's nice to devote one (or more) of you pipes to only that tobacco, or to only that type of tobacco. Briarwood absorbs the aroma of what you smoke through it, so having a seasoned pipe is nice, and if you were to smoke something else through it you'd find subtle hints of your regular tobacco throughout the new stuff. My favorite "daily smoke" is Captain Black Cherry (red pouch) or Royal (blue pouch). Captain Black Cherry is largely burly, with a nice blend of cherry Cavendish. My pops used to smoke Captain Black Cherry, and I came around to it eventually, but definitely see his like for that flavor. The Royal is lighter, with hints of vanilla and other spices, I enjoy it, but it's a second to the Cherry. My handmade Tim West, smooth bulldog, and at least one corncob are dedicated to these two tobaccos, although they occasionally see other aromatic tobaccos. The professor has turned into a lighter use pipe for me, so it's the usual pick when I get a new aromatic.

As Virginia and English tobaccos are more, hmm, Earthy, natural, or woodsy blends (not being subject to the sweet sugar-curing process of aromatic tobacco), it's best to have a pipe (or pipes) devoted to just those types of tobacco. I like the bulldog style a lot (easy to work and smoke with this type of "hands-free" pipe), so my twin rough bulldog took to this task. There's usually at least one corncob in my collection as a second for Virginia and English tobaccos as well. I haven't settled on one single 'non-Cavendish' tobacco, so these pipes usually see 3-4 different blends.

Most people don't realize that a pipe, being made of a porous material, takes on moisture, heat, and oils/tar from the tobacco. So it's best to let a pipe completely cool before smoking an additional bowl from it. Sure you can smoke 2-3 bowls in a row from the same pipe (been there, done that), but the temperature and flavor of each progressive bowl without proper cooling and cleaning will be worse. By having more pipes within the rotation, you can keep the consistency of flavor, temperature, or overall 'quality' of smoke the same. I like to have a minimum of 3-4 hours between bowls in the same pipe, even then I can tell the difference from something that hasn't been smoked since the day before.

I put a lot of stock in the validity of my last quote about smoking becoming and automatic process for a lot of people. If you take the time to enjoy what you're doing, not simply be a creature of careless habit, you'll more enjoy what your doing, as well as your smoking while doing it. When I go hang out at the bar with my friends, over at their houses, or camping/fishing and whatnot, I take great care in what pipes and tobaccos I take with me. What I smoke while I'm doing something is as important as the act of doing it.

Probably one of the most enjoyable things I hear people say about pipes, or when they see me smoking mine (as it seems that a lot of people smoke, but few care to smoke cigars, and even fewer pipes), is how they remember their father or grandfather smoking, or how the smell reminds them of something they used to do with their family member. It's nostalgia and character, which doesn't come in a pack of Camels or Marlborough Reds. I've always fancied myself as a classic gentleman, and smoking a pipe for pleasure has always seemed a way to connect with times when smoking and life were more glamorous than the monotony and automation of modern day. And more importantly, I've had many a lady sachet across the room to start a conversation shortly after I strike a match and light a pipe than I ever had with anything before. That alone should be reason to at least try pipe smoking at least once in you lifetime. :wink:

Don't suppose anybody smokes a meerschaum pipe?:

meerschaum.jpg

Meerschaum is a mineral that comes primarily from Turkey. This material is soft and easily shaped but wasn’t used as a pipe material until the discovery of tobacco. Its scientific chemical name is hydrous magnesium silicate and is thought to be remnants of prehistoric sea shells. Once the pipes are carved they must be dried and polished. Meerschaum’s are renowned for the cool, mellow smoke, and remain very popular today. Meerschaum pipes have quite a long break-in period, but the smoker is rewarded with a beautiful autumn brown pipe and a full ripe quality and flavor.

I haven't added one to my rotation as I haven't been able to find one of good design/quality.

I have a few pipes and enjoy them on occasion. I love to bring them on camping trips and the like, as most people seem to find it wonderfully hilarious when a 25 year old lights up a Sherlock Holmes.

azekologi, you're right about the ladies being attracted to the aroma. Once you get past the fact that they are not talking to you because you are a sexy hunk, but because you remind them of their grandfather it's not too bad. I originally come from England and I agree that the British tobaccos are more earthy than the American brands. It took me quite a while to get used to the sweet flavor. I have tried the cherry flavored blends but they are still too sugary for my taste. My go to blend is vanilla flavored. When my American wife calls me her eccentric Englishman, I give her a dirty look, but then I'll be fishing in my 1968 Richline powered by a 1967 Johnson, smoking my black sandblasted briar and I guess she may have a point. :)

I never took up tobacco pipe smoking. I did however, roll my own, they tasted much better thatn commercial grade cigarettes. The MP's weren't too keen on the rolling papers, but once I showed them the tobacco they would back off. I quite smoking in 1985. The price of cigarettes was getting out of hand @ $.50 per pack. Double what it cost me when I started. Too **** much money, couldn't imagine paying $50 a carton now-a-days. That's a $200 a month habit. I dont spend that much on bait. :---) :mrgreen:

azekologi said:
Don't suppose anybody smokes a meerschaum pipe?

I haven't added one to my rotation as I haven't been able to find one of good design/quality.
I Do. I'll get a picture tomorrow

ShadowWalker said:
I Do. I'll get a picture tomorrow

ShadowWalker - What!? To busy fishin' to post? Geezz. :wink:

Well all this pipe talk, and the newest edition to my pipe rotation, has given be the bug to add yet another pipe to the collection. Not sure where which one will be next, or if I'll just end up waiting a while to decide, guess I'll just have a bowl now and contemplate the decision.

For any of you pipe enthusiasts, I'd welcome any input...

First up:

Stanfield HCA (Hans Christian Anderson) VI dual stem. Basically, I'm wanting to add a churchwarden to the collection as I don't have one. I like the idea of the dual stem, because that kind of gives me two pipes instead of just one. But it's the churchwarden's long stem which provides an unmatched cool, dry smoke that I'm really after.

HCA6.jpg

Strong second:

Boswell Jumbo or Jumbo X. After experiencing the quality of smoke that I got from a handmade pipe (vs. machine made) with my latest addition by Tim West, and having a much larger bowl size (I can easily smoke one bowl for 2+ hours), I want a second, large, handmade pipe for non-aromatic tobaccos. I figure the extreme bowl size would be great while on the boat, fishing, camping, etc. I’m thinking something along the lines of a poker style, or possibly a billiard. Either way, I’d like a rough finish as I prefer to have smooth finishes for aromatics and rough finishes for non-aromatics (dunno why, just do).

Boswell%20Jumbo%20X%20(10).jpg

Last but not least:

SMS Premium Meershaum Full-Bent Sitting Apple - Lattice. Been wanting to add a meer to my collection/rotation for some time. Did some looking around and really like this one.

F42870C1-F536-5116-6282979F5F839B4B.jpg

Sorry for all the pipe banter guys; it could be worse...I could be posting pics of plaid purses. [-X

Maybe its just because Im running on an Alabama public education, but I feel somewhat cultured after participating in this topic. Kinda like that time I went to a wine tasting with a few navy officers, but this is whole lot less embarassing. Thanks Guys.

nathanielrthomas said:
Maybe its just because Im running on an Alabama public education, but I feel somewhat cultured after participating in this topic. Kinda like that time I went to a wine tasting with a few navy officers, but this is whole lot less embarassing. Thanks Guys.

I'm glad that you feel cultured and I'm glad that you contributed! =D> As you can tell from some of my smoky ramblings, I really like collecting pipes and smoking them. Sure, I choked down my fair share of coffin spikes in my day, but I've moved on to enjoying my tobacco rather than mindlessly consuming it. Never again will I smoke those floor sweepings [-X.

If you want to peruse a good article on the resurgence of pipes, and how "Pipes are for Everyone", check this one out. You may be shocked to find that even some good looking ladies are chomping down on the bit of a pipe.

https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/pipes-are-for-everyone/

As I said in a previous post, I enjoy the pipe for a multitude of reasons. Sure, it's relaxing, I do enjoy the tobacco too, but it's more than that...smoking a pipe seems to be a conversation waiting to happen. I get positive, often flirtatious, comments from older ladies who enjoy seeing a "young lad" with a pipe, to girls younger than I care to keep up with (although, I would give it the ol' college try 8)). Not many, but a few pipe smoking gents have seen me puffing away in public and commented on my pipe, choice of tobacco, or the like. More importantly, I feel that too much happens, too quickly, in our fast-paced world...strangers and passers-by rarely share pleasantries anymore. The pipe gives me the opportunity to slow down and enjoy the ride...same as fishing has done...just slow down, and troll the calm waters.