Are "appraisal" threads allowed?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ericman said:
#1 rule regarding boat motors. A homemade camouflage paint job on a motor means it was used as a duck-boat motor.

Yes, and it can also mean something else... the motor overheated bad enough to melt the paint/stickers. I have a friend that just had that happen last year on his 150hp salt motor. Had to get the cowl repainted then we put stickers on it. Between you and me, no one shaves a head on an outboard to make more power. Or it's rare, should I say, especially on a 25hp. I would be concerned about the motor but it's very possible that it's fine. But as said, the boat does look well taken care of and the hull and trailer alone would be worth $15-1800 easy where I live.

FWIW this is the pricing your insurance carrier would look at covering this boat:

https://nadaguides.com/Boats/2005/G3-Boats/1448WOF__/10221748/values

I think some people are low-balling their estimate of the price thinking this is a riveted boat & not a welded one.

As far as the engine work...a compression test should tell you what condition it sits in currently - the procedure is no different than with a car, remove the plugs, apply a little oil to each cylinder, insert the tester & turn over...checking the lower unit oil before & after a decent amount of on the water testing would be nice too. The value in that rig isn't in the motor anyway, so if it works for you I'd take it as gravy in the deal.

In Connecticut, it probably would be worth more, here in Minnesota, though, one look at craigslist reveals a bloated market. Supply far exceeds demand and un-motivated sellers will leave their boats on cl for a year or more. Motivated sellers recognize this and will negotiate.

Latest posts