DIY PONTOONS FOR A TIN CANOE??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tex - I was on a small Navy ship similar to the USS Pueblo (AGER-2)
up and down the RVN coast.... then a few months later, I was
transferred to a destroyer that lobbed shells and missiles into
the jungle. After that little ordeal, I was sort of locked into the
realm of intelligence gathering and went up into the Bering Sea doing
some stuff with the Russians..... and the rest of my tours were just
basking in the sun on tropical islands LOL LOL.
I was sitting in Key West, Florida eating cherry pie while my younger brother
was doing his third Army tour "in country" as a Huey chopper mechanic and gunner. (21 years also).
we all did our part in different ways for the war efforts - in all wars.
and thank YOU for your service as well.
we can only be vigilant and pray to God that we never have to go to war again.

good luck in getting your canoe stabilized and safe !!

Johnny,

THANKS.

I got the RED "crab pot buoys" yesterday PM & wouldn't you just know it, the HOLES through the floats are TOO SMALL to fit the PVC pipe. = !@#$!
(NOW I have to find a 1 1/16" LONG drill bit to "drill out" the holes AND find a suitable set of "forearm crutches" to make the supporting "arms".)

Once I have those "pieces", I'll have my project finished in @ 1 hour.

yours, satx

To All,

A "disabled walker" disassembled has given me ALL the necessary parts to build my own canoe outriggers EXCEPT 4 crab trap floats (28.oo plus tax), some epoxy resin, about a dozen assorted nuts/bolts/washers & a 5 foot piece of 3/4-inch ID PVC electrical conduit (1.55).

All total, my "hillbilly outriggers" will cost me <50.ooUSD. - Compare that to well over 250.ooUSD (including freight) for a pair of "factory-made" outriggers.

yours, satx

richg99,

Unfortunately, I have neither a suitable camera, nor the expertise to post photos. - Once I get the project completed, I'll try to find someone to take photos & post same to the forum.

yours, satx

To All,

What I ended up using for outrigger attachments to the canoe are a pair of aluminum flag-pole brackets that cost me 14.40 total.

The total cost, including everything was 66.20, which I thought OK, when compared to a minimum of just over 175.oo & some similar set-ups for as much as 385.oo MSRP plus S&H.

For the entire rig including trolling motor/battery/paddles/life jackets/outriggers/etc., I have about 225.oo total invested.
(As I said elsewhere, the canoe was free, as the lady whose yard it was in wanted it: GONE.)

yours, satx

Latest posts