Driveshaft stuck in powerhead

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonAlum

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a clamp collar and slide hammer to pull out a stuck driveshaft in a powerhead? I got the foot off, now just need to pull the shaft out. I have turned the motor upside down and spayed in Deep Creep. May need 2 or 3 collars placed together for extra support?
95b8fb02b1ba2197b1adab98ceadeeb7.jpg
5313d5d9e9877a53db8ae38c0accf9af.jpg
ba3fe54e532325d0fda382b8f98f1fc5.jpg

-Kurt
1436 PolarKraft & 9.5 Evinrude

What motor? Why do you want to remove it? Are you sure there isn't anything else holding it in? I would consult a manual before hammering on it.

It is a 9.5 HP Evinrude, 1969. It is almost impossible to put a new impeller back in and reassemble with it in the powerhead. I already partially damaged the impeller housing while trying to get it back on. I am positive it due to some amount of corrosion.

-Kurt

If it is corrosion, then maybe try turning it upside down & putting in some penetrating oil, I use auto trans fluid + acetone 50/50, works good.

ClemsonAlum said:
It is a 9.5 HP Evinrude, 1969. It is almost impossible to put a new impeller back in and reassemble with it in the powerhead. I already partially damaged the impeller housing while trying to get it back on. I am positive it due to some amount of corrosion.

-Kurt

I just went through this this year with a friends motor.

I made a custom puller to remove the shaft, let me see if I can find it.

Clamp collars like your photo are used all the time to pull shafts.

The power head is probably robust enough to survive the pulling but...I would look at how difficult it would be to remove the lower cowl or whatever is required to get access to the shaft splines and socket where it's stuck. I would very much prefer my pulling force to work against the shoulder of the splinned socket. Yanking on the shaft can break something. Actually pushing the shaft away from the splined socket is less likely to damage anything.

RaisedByWolves said:
I found it!

Nothing fancy but its yours if you want it.

Just pay shipping.

If I can't get it out with a slide hammer and puller later this week, I will take you up on that. Thanks!

-Kurt

maintenanceguy said:
Clamp collars like your photo are used all the time to pull shafts.

The power head is probably robust enough to survive the pulling but...I would look at how difficult it would be to remove the lower cowl or whatever is required to get access to the shaft splines and socket where it's stuck. I would very much prefer my pulling force to work against the shoulder of the splinned socket. Yanking on the shaft can break something. Actually pushing the shaft away from the splined socket is less likely to damage anything.
Thanks for the tip. I found another website post where a guy had the same problem on the same motor. I believe on these 9.5's, pulling the powerhead means essentially taking apart the entire motor. I could do it, but would rather not if at all possible.

http://johnsonevenrude95.blogspot.com/2016/06/1973-johnson-9

-Kurt

The puller shown is an excellent puller for shaft removal.
You may need to replace the shaft after removal so be looking for one. Also take as good a look at the internal splines on the crank the best you can. If damaged the engine is toast.
I would put some tension on the shaft then use an air hammer on the shaft if the puller doesn't get it right away.

Update: Success! Got it out. Driveshaft splines seem ok. Used two 14 mm dia 2 piece shaft collars and slide hammer w/puller. Only took maybe 10 mins once I had the collars on and puller tool put together. If I could do it again, I would have bought one of the double wide couplers, or used 4 of them stacked side by side. Had to put the two collars back on the shaft twice from slipping, even after cleaning all surfaces with alcohol. I think this is the best way to do this with least risk to damage the shaft. I rented the puller for free with a deposit from Oreily Auto.

I also boogered up the water pump housing removing the lower unit, so I tried a fix with JB weld and a dremel. Tommorrow will be her test run with a new impeller, lower unit oil, a replacement coil and points cleaned and reset. Added 2 oz / gal Seafoam Marine Pro to the fuel for extra lubage since this motor was partially locked up when I got it.

Side note, I called Seafoam to ask if it would dissolve the shellac on the cork float, and they said no. Seafoam Marine Pro is basically concentrated Seafoam without the Alcohol.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future.
f7857e1290a1d41fcb5375dd625e1be7.jpg
4282eccbdd33e33b8752433c2b95d1f3.jpg
4f407874b81fcceaef1c0d3e772461a4.jpg
3611a4c67e1a46fdfadfab8501d78cd1.jpg

-Kurt

Pappy said:
Hopefully you did grease the heck out of the splines on the shaft and add the o-ring that was no doubt not there?
There was acually an O ring on the shaft to my surprise. Had some minor pitting on it. I tried to get as much grease in there as possible by gooping it up on the shaft end and shoving it into the powerhead a few times before re assembly. Put a new o ring back on.

-Kurt

Good work!

Imo that nick isn’t a big deal. The one I did this summer had all the same issues and pumped fine once running again.

Pumping water was about all it did right. #-o