Driving Long Distances? Need suggestions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like the idea of stopping at points of interest especially, even if only for 10 minutes. and watch out for too much coffee or energy drinks, works great the first 2-3 hours, but when your body crashes its nearly impossible to stay awake, what goes up must come down.
i like a cold gallon of OJ in the cooler next to me. something to munch on is good for me, i just really try and pace it so i don't get stuffed.
i'm driving straight through to san francisco at the end of this month, 26 hours between me and my girlfriend, not looking forward to that part of the trip, but coming back we'll be taking our time and seeing the sights. Have fun!

russ010 said:
Waterwings said:
Great info in the above posts, but I highly recommend not using cruise control while driving at night, espacially if you've been on the road for awhile. Although I use the heck out of the cruise control during open-road daylight hours, it can tend to lull you to sleep because you're basically just sitting there steering. Being comfortable on long trips is great, but being too comfortable can cause problems.

Ever drove a few miles and not even remember going through lights or making turns because you were thinking of something else? Scary stuff - and I do it all the time

That's a form of hypnosis - or, an altered state of consciousness..... very real - but very dangerous when driving. your "unconscious" mind takes over and you do okay but it can easily lead to falling asleep - very bad....

Loggerhead Mike said:
and have all your dope smoked before you hit the boarder :mrgreen: lol j/k

FishingCop said:
That's a form of hypnosis - or, an altered state of consciousness..... very real - but very dangerous when driving. your "unconscious" mind takes over and you do okay but it can easily lead to falling asleep - very bad....

:roflmao:

Bubba, are you going solo or do you have a copilot going along? That's going to be a long trip if it's solo. I did an 11 hour one way solo trip a couple of years ago and only stopped for gas and lunch. I got into a zone where I didn't want to stop but I did it during the day where I was not likely to fall asleep.

Don't forget to take your shoes off! Unsure why but driving with shoes on seems to drag me down. I do take several long trips a year.

Quackrstackr said:
Bubba, are you going solo or do you have a copilot going along? That's going to be a long trip if it's solo. I did an 11 hour one way solo trip a couple of years ago and only stopped for gas and lunch. I got into a zone where I didn't want to stop but I did it during the day where I was not likely to fall asleep.

Yeah, I will be by myself.

I think what will help me, is that I'm going to be driving the first half in the night, and then i'm going to be meeting a couple across the border in Canada to grab breakfast and follow them up the rest of the way that morning. So that should help wake me up by stopping for awhile and chatting abit to them before following them up the rest of the way.

Have some cash for emergencies, maybe a gallon gas or something, and make sure you have a functioning cell phone with "location" turned on god forbid something happens. Car charger for cell phone is a must. Have people on notice that you may need to talk if you get overtired or anything is wrong. Tell them to call every so often and that you will answer to let them know youre ok. Make sure people know your route and whereabouts at all times.

ober51 said:
Have some cash for emergencies, maybe a gallon gas or something, and make sure you have a functioning cell phone with "location" turned on god forbid something happens. Car charger for cell phone is a must. Have people on notice that you may need to talk if you get overtired or anything is wrong. Tell them to call every so often and that you will answer to let them know youre ok. Make sure people know your route and whereabouts at all times.

good points!

pbw said:
Don't forget to take your shoes off! Unsure why but driving with shoes on seems to drag me down. I do take several long trips a year.

Beware this is illegal in some states.I have been ticketed for this when I had my Jeep CJ5.Cop happened to pull up beside me,looked over, and seen my bare feet on the pedals.I had gotten my Jeep and myself muddy.I stripped,jumped in the creek,cleaned off,put my gym shorts on and headed out to wash down my Jeep.

I tow my 21 ft boat on several long trips a year in the 14 to 16 hour range. I leave my house at 3am and drive until I get tired. most times i make the trip in one day. NOW the trip home after the tournament 7 days of fishing up at 3am not getting to bed until 9 pm not eating very good.I will pack my truck/boat the night before i leave then sleep until 830 and drive until i get tried which is around 5 pm at that point i will find a hotel pull off and spend the night. I keep my boat covered and have never had an issue, But i also dont stay in any sleazy places..
as far as towing be sure to check the lugs every time you get gas.
Dont sweat this trip you will be fine and be planning trips like this more often... I a heading to Pickwick lack in florence Ala. the end of Sept