Ethanol and boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323634#p323634 said:
ckr74 » Today, 17:56[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323630#p323630 said:
tomme boy » 33 minutes ago[/url]"]You guys are missing the point of the tank having foam in it. You have to run a filter if you run a foam filled tank. Little pieces of the foam will break off and will clog up the jets in the carb. That is why it needs a filter.
Never heard of or seen a foam filled tank. Learn something new every day.

Sure do. I've never heard of a foam-filled tank, either. I'd have reservations about using something like that. If water, etc gets in there, I'd guess it would absorb into the foam, and would be difficult to get it out.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323641#p323641 said:
PSG-1 » 58 minutes ago[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323634#p323634 said:
ckr74 » Today, 17:56[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323630#p323630 said:
tomme boy » 33 minutes ago[/url]"]You guys are missing the point of the tank having foam in it. You have to run a filter if you run a foam filled tank. Little pieces of the foam will break off and will clog up the jets in the carb. That is why it needs a filter.
Never heard of or seen a foam filled tank. Learn something new every day.

Sure do. I've never heard of a foam-filled tank, either. I'd have reservations about using something like that. If water, etc gets in there, I'd guess it would absorb into the foam, and would be difficult to get it out.
It is not a dense foam like a fuel cell. It is more like a mesh foam. It can't absorb and liquid. It is there to keep the fuel from sloshing around.

Sound like a lot of extra surface area for tarnish/gum to build up on. I believe I would try another regular tank to see if that helps.

The foam filled tanks are used in racing as was started about the sloshing around. So how was it damaged? Was it tarnish that broke loose from inside the carb? That is the only thing that it could be right? If that was what it was, tell them you want your money back. They did not do the rebuild right. Be a little tricky about how you ask them what was stuck in it to cause the rebuild again. Because if he did the rebuild right, there would be NO debris in the carb to break loose.

Like I said earlier, did you pay with a CC? If you did, do a charge back on them. Then they can fight with the CC company to prove they did what they said they did.

Oh, here it is only 75/carb for a rebuild

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323670#p323670 said:
tomme boy » Today, 00:08[/url]"]The foam filled tanks are used in racing as was started about the sloshing around. So how was it damaged? Was it tarnish that broke loose from inside the carb? That is the only thing that it could be right? If that was what it was, tell them you want your money back. They did not do the rebuild right. Be a little tricky about how you ask them what was stuck in it to cause the rebuild again. Because if he did the rebuild right, there would be NO debris in the carb to break loose.

Like I said earlier, did you pay with a CC? If you did, do a charge back on them. Then they can fight with the CC company to prove they did what they said they did.

Oh, here it is only 75/carb for a rebuild
We have not paid yet. Going down today.

Not sure in NH but down here in CT its illegal to charge a customer for a repair with out giving them an estimate BEFORE any repairs are made. check with your DMV on that or at least use your CC and get your rig back and file a claim against them with your CC company. Good luck hope you make out well.

Another thing to check is what kind of parts they used to rebuild the carb with. Some of the older kits had coated cork floats and gaskets that are not made to stand up to the ethanol. Maybe they used a kit that had been on the shelf forever? Something to look into anyway. They should give you the old parts back from the last rebuild if you ask for them.

Picked up the boat today at no cost to me. I decided that since they took the high road with me, I would spend some of the money I saved there, and purchased a new plastic tank from them that they suggested. I left feeling like a valued customer.

Thank you everyone. You advise, and suggestions are priceless.

great news, & a great idea on using a conventional gas tank. i was wondering how that foam would react with 2 stroke oil & thinking it may have been related to your dirty carb issue

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324062#p324062 said:
chevyrulz » Yesterday, 11:06[/url]"]great news, & a great idea on using a conventional gas tank. i was wondering how that foam would react with 2 stroke oil & thinking it may have been related to your dirty carb issue
The foam is chemical resistant, and with the screen on the end of the pickup, I doubt any would get by even if it broke free. It will not desolve, or break down if that is what you are thinking. Besides, it is brand new, and designed to keep the fuel from sloshing around.

We had foam in the tank of our race quad. One 2 stroke one 4 stroke, never broke down. Great for hitting corners.

I haven't read all of the postings but my two cents.

I HAD a 1980 something Merc outboard. I also have a 2011 Honda four stroke. Both manuals said to drain the carbs after each use due to ethanol in the fuel.

I also have a 90hp Tohatsu 2 stroke on my glass boat but it is a direct port fuel injection. When I bought the motor new last year, I asked the dealer about drain the fuel after each use but he advised against it as this motor has an two stroke oil priming system and needs the gas in the motor to avoid priming each time. I watched as he did the initial priming and it is time consuming. If not done correctly, it could damage the motor. He told me just to run it every week or so to keep the insides wet and to use Techron injector cleaner in the tank.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324543#p324543 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Today, 08:33[/url]"]You don't need a tank designed for racing on a jon boat.
At the time I wanted a metal tank, not really knowing the affects of ethanol. The only one I could find had foam in it. I did not buy it for the foam.

Found the Hampton, NH airport sells Ethanol free 91 octane gas. So I purchased 6 gallons for the new tank, and car rebuild, and hopefully I will never have an issue again. We took the boat out this past Sunday, and she ran 21mph on plane all day.

No need to hunt down ethanol free gas, remove the ethanol yourself it's very simple.

Pour 3 gallons of gas in 5 gallon bucket, pour 1 gallon of water in gas in 5 gallon bucket use a gallon water plastic jug, this equals, 4 gallons total.

Stir rapidly the water and gas for about a minute or two.

Cover bucket with old tee shirt so nothing gets into bucket.

Let sit covered for about 5 minutes. Until water/ethanol have separated from gas, it will sink to bottom of bucket, won't be able to see separation if bucket is not clear, however it has separated but it is below gas.

Get some clear 3/8-5/16 hose from Lowes/Home Depot.

Set 5 gallon bucket on something like old cooler or something so it's higher than 1 gallon water jug, make sure not to move 5 gallon bucket too much when you elevate it, put clear hose carefully down side of bucket so it just touches bottom of bucket. Siphon into gallon jug, your gallon jug will fill with water/ethanol mix that has been washed from gas.

The gallon jug will fill more than 1 gallon of water/ethanol mix, when gallon jug is filled stop Siphon hose with finger don't loose Siphon, get another 1 gallon water jug and keep siphoning until you see the color of mix look like gas. Stop Siphon.

The first gallon is all water/ethanol mix you can dump it down your toilet if you want, it's no different than basically grain alcohol, the second gallon will have a small amount of gas on top depending on how quickly you stopped.

You now have ethanol free fuel, mix your oil, add your fuel stabilizer, put in empty gas can and go boating.

It takes very little time to wash the gas.

JUST DON'T DO IT IN CLOSED CONDITIONS, I DID IT IN OPEN DRIVEWAY.

Don't believe me, Google removing ethanol from gas.

LOL...that's pretty absurd. Don't get me wrong...it's cool....but still absurd. You want to pour water into fuel that is going into my $10K motor??? Not to mention who the hell has time to do this? I go through about 24 gallons of fuel a week in my boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326925#p326925 said:
therobzilla » Today, 00:43[/url]"]No need to hunt down ethanol free gas, remove the ethanol yourself it's very simple.

Pour 3 gallons of gas in 5 gallon bucket, pour 1 gallon of water in gas in 5 gallon bucket use a gallon water plastic jug, this equals, 4 gallons total.

Stir rapidly the water and gas for about a minute or two.

Cover bucket with old tee shirt so nothing gets into bucket.

Let sit covered for about 5 minutes. Until water/ethanol have separated from gas, it will sink to bottom of bucket, won't be able to see separation if bucket is not clear, however it has separated but it is below gas.

Get some clear 3/8-5/16 hose from Lowes/Home Depot.

Set 5 gallon bucket on something like old cooler or something so it's higher than 1 gallon water jug, make sure not to move 5 gallon bucket too much when you elevate it, put clear hose carefully down side of bucket so it just touches bottom of bucket. Siphon into gallon jug, your gallon jug will fill with water/ethanol mix that has been washed from gas.

The gallon jug will fill more than 1 gallon of water/ethanol mix, when gallon jug is filled stop Siphon hose with finger don't loose Siphon, get another 1 gallon water jug and keep siphoning until you see the color of mix look like gas. Stop Siphon.

The first gallon is all water/ethanol mix you can dump it down your toilet if you want, it's no different than basically grain alcohol, the second gallon will have a small amount of gas on top depending on how quickly you stopped.

You now have ethanol free fuel, mix your oil, add your fuel stabilizer, put in empty gas can and go boating.

It takes very little time to wash the gas.

JUST DON'T DO IT IN CLOSED CONDITIONS, I DID IT IN OPEN DRIVEWAY.

Don't believe me, Google removing ethanol from gas.
Is non-ethanol gas really that hard to find out there in places that you have to resort to this?