Ethanol and boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's clarify a few thinks, I'm not talking about doing this for 60 gallons of gas, however I use maybe 10 gallons of gas ever maybe 5 weekends out, small motor small boat.

Gas without ethanol other than race gas, is not available in AZ, and race gas runs right around 7.50 a gallon and where I'm located its 110 octane.

I just stated a way to remove ethanol from gas, that's it, how you decide to use the information is the readers choice.

Thanks
Rob

Anyone know why some states like Oklahoma sell non-ethanol gas at almost every pump or every other pump and then other states likes Arizona doesn't sell it at all!?

Believe it or not, Arizona has some of the worst air quality in the country, we are fined heavily buy the Fed for not cleaning up our air quality.

Then someone says "hey if we use ethanol in our gas that will help some" bingo ethanol in fuel everywhere.

Good luck other than race gas finding gas without ethanol in it in Phoenix.

We're saving the world one gallon at a time....... :-(

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327025#p327025 said:
therobzilla » Today, 14:54[/url]"]Believe it or not, Arizona has some of the worst air quality in the country, we are fined heavily buy the Fed for not cleaning up our air quality.

Then someone says "hey if we use ethanol in our gas that will help some" bingo ethanol in fuel everywhere.

non ethanol gas in Phoenix reported to be found at the following locations.
Phoenix UNBRANDED octane unknown Lopers [602-264-5450] 902 E Indian School Rd
Phoenix SUNOCO 87 & 93 octane Speedway Race Fuels [602-276-9250] 2300 W Broadway Rd

But yes, it can be very difficult to find ethanol free fuel in some states. From what I've heard there are several states in the northeast that don't sell straight gas. We had one station locally that carried it up until about 8 months ago when they sold out to another chain. Now if I ethanol free fuel, I have to drive 26 miles to get it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327038#p327038 said:
JMichael » 48 minutes ago[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327025#p327025 said:
therobzilla » Today, 14:54[/url]"]Believe it or not, Arizona has some of the worst air quality in the country, we are fined heavily buy the Fed for not cleaning up our air quality.

non ethanol gas in Phoenix reported to be found at the following locations.
Phoenix UNBRANDED octane unknown Lopers [602-264-5450] 902 E Indian School Rd
Phoenix SUNOCO 87 & 93 octane Speedway Race Fuels [602-276-9250] 2300 W Broadway Rd

But yes, it can be very difficult to find ethanol free fuel in some states. From what I've heard there are several states in the northeast that don't sell straight gas. We had one station locally that carried it up until about 8 months ago when they sold out to another chain. Now if I ethanol free fuel, I have to drive 26 miles to get it.

Yes I have the same app for my phone, these stations report ethanol free gas as being sold, what they don't tell you is that it's VP race fuel. The fuel they sell is U4.4 or VP110, both of which would be too much for small outboard motors. We race offroad Ultra4, and the fuel available ranges from 7.50 to well over 10.00 a gallon, and os not recommended for 2 stroke engines.

Some states are worse than others when it come to pump gas......

AZ is one of these states...

Thanks
Rob

Are "ethanol-free" stations really selling NO ethanol fuels?

I used to have some test strips to test the local station we bought our fuel from. They advertised zero ethanol. I tested. Around 3% typically. We let the station know and they changed their sign to "low ethanol fuel available here".

it is my understanding that laws state that fuel does not have to be labeled until it reaches 7% or higher, then it requires the sticker that says "up to 10% ethanol content". So could it be that the ethanol content is under 6 or 7% at those supposed "no ethanol" stations? I don't know. I've been out of test equipment for a good while. I did convert a spare carburetor for my Yamaha F25 to Methanol (not ethanol...there is a difference other than the one letter). Race car runs Methanol, might as well try it. I "was" getting it for about $1.50/gal. At least up until recently when there has been a price hike; local gas drilling companies are using it in Frac fluid apparently; or at least the place I was getting it at said that drilling companies use it faster than they can get it, so the price had to go up. The little motor runs great on Methanol. I would not suggest trying to convert, though....unless you have experience with Methanol.

Yes I have the same app for my phone, these stations report ethanol free gas as being sold, what they don't tell you is that it's VP race fuel.

If the Sunoco station doesn't actually have the 87 and 93 octane that the app says it has, it might be a good idea to edit and update that entry in the app so others aren't mislead by it. It might save others from making a trip thinking they can get those fuels there.

After reading this topic, I decided to ask my son who is a chemist and his reply was: (Take it or leave it as he's a gearhead just like me, just a more educated one. :lol: )

"Yes. Actually you would mix concentrated salt water with the gas to seperate the water soluble material."

I think I'll just keep running my motor and using additives recommended by the dealer where I bought the new motor.

I had to go and say something. Looks like 100% gas in OK will be going up and/or going extinct. Gas station up the street from me has a sign on the pump stating 100% gas to increase as much as $0.40 next month so therefor they will start carrying ethanol gas.!!!!

https://www.news9.com/story/23282869/100-percent-gas-prices-to-increase-or-become-extinct-at-okc-stations

Latest posts