Fish finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianlt21

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my old hummingbird LCR2000 to an updated model.. Looking at three in particular pmax 150 by hummingbird, Cuda 168 and the cuda 300 both made from Eagle.. Just wanted some input.. Mostly used for depth not so much fish and also temp.. My budget is no more than $100.00

in that price range any unit you get will be junk.
you will not be happy with any of those units and will be looking to upgrade again
save your money until you can afford a quality unit.
Remember the more vertical pixels you have the more detail you will see.

I would be looking for a minimum of 320x320 pixels

brianlt21 said:
I am looking to upgrade my old hummingbird LCR2000 to an updated model.. Looking at three in particular pmax 150 by hummingbird, Cuda 168 and the cuda 300 both made from Eagle.. Just wanted some input.. Mostly used for depth not so much fish and also temp.. My budget is no more than $100.00

Redbug, he said he just needed it for depth and temp. in that case i think an Eagle would be fine. The picture wont be highly detailed or very defined, but it doesnt sound like that is what you are after.

The Eagle 242 can be had for around $80.00 and is 240x160 resolution 4 level grayscale with temp. It is a much nicer unit than your Hummingbird you are replacing and you not miss the higher resolution of the more expensive models if you never had it to start with.

ilinimud said:
brianlt21 said:

Redbug, he said he just needed it for depth and temp. in that case i think an Eagle would be fine. The picture wont be highly detailed or very defined, but it doesnt sound like that is what you are after.

he also stated that he has a unit now, what I was saying is to keep the unit he has and save for a better unit hat he will be happy with. for $250 he can get a high detailed unit that will give him temp and depth with detail he can use and with $100 in had he is half way there

I guess it depends on where you fish. I own one of the so called junk fishfinders. :roll:

I bought the PMax 220, has the dual cones and works great where I fish. Cost right at $100. Not only does it have depth and temp, it also has fish finding capabilities and it marks fish great. Shows bottom detail very well too. It works so well I can mark the Msukie as they swim on teh bottom below my Crappie. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe I figured out how to use it. However I don't see any reason to spend money foolishly on crap your not going to use. :mrgreen:

Knowing how to use your fishfinder on the other hand will.

redbug said:
ilinimud said:
brianlt21 said:

he also stated that he has a unit now, what I was saying is to keep the unit he has and save for a better unit hat he will be happy with. for $250 he can get a high detailed unit that will give him temp and depth with detail he can use and with $100 in had he is half way there

Oh ok, i see what you are saying now. Sorry.

I have a Cuda 242 and it is fine for all intended use. It ISNT a fancy great finder, but for a guy on a budget with no finder its great. I use a finder more for depth, bottom type and structure and this does it fine for me. I rarely worry about seeing fish on it.

If you set it up properly you can also see fish and distinguish fish from structure if you know what you are looking at. There are many resources on the web that will show you how to use your sonar to its full potential and you don't have to have color or big screens and such although they do make it much easier to see you still have to know how to use it. The Eagle Cuda 242 is what I have on my Center console and I paid $60 on a web trader board. It was brand new still in the package. Eagle has changed the name to Cuda 300 now but it is basically the same unit and is still 79.99 at Cabela's, Bass Pro has the Eagle Fisheasy 320 on sale right now for 129.99. It is 320x320 16 level grayscale and a very nice unit for the money.

redbug said:
you will not be happy with any of those units and will be looking to upgrade again

Junk is a little bit harsh and I apologize. I should have said that in that price range the units available will not do much more than the unit you have now.
the eagle Fishmark 320 is a very good unit that gives you :

Depth capability to 800 ft* (244 m) with 1500 watts of peak-to-peak power
High-performance, low-profile 200 kHz Skimmer ® transducer delivers a wider, more effective fish detection area of up to 60ø with high sensitivity settings - Operates at boat speeds up to 70 mph (61 kts)
Trolling speed and distance log readings available with purchase of an optional sensor
FishReveal™ feature exposes fish targets hidden in surface clutter, weed beds, thermoclines, and other types of underwater cover
HyperScroll™ feature locates and displays targets at higher boat speeds
Advanced Signal Processing (ASP™) automatically adjusts your settings for the best sonar picture
Patented GRAYLINE™ separates fish from nearby structure and bottom
Advanced Fish I.D.™ shows underwater targets in different sizes of fish symbols
FishTrack™ displays target depth readings above fish symbols
Surface water temperature readings come from a built-in temp sensor in the transducer
Unique display feature lets you combine a panel of sonar data readings with your sonar graph in one easy-to-read display
Zoom with zoom bottom tracking and easy zoom-in/out control
Selective on/off sonar alarms: Shallow, Deep, Fish and Zone
Performance:

High-speed screen updates during depth range changes for uninterrupted viewing
Internal back-up memory for key sonar settings
Completely sealed and waterproof, even for use in harsh saltwater environments
Full one-year warranty
and can be found for around $160.

redbug said:
redbug said:

Junk is a little bit harsh and I apologize. I should have said that in that price range the units available will not do much more than the unit you have now.
the eagle Fishmark 320 is a very good unit that gives you :

Depth capability to 800 ft* (244 m) with 1500 watts of peak-to-peak power
High-performance, low-profile 200 kHz Skimmer ® transducer delivers a wider, more effective fish detection area of up to 60ø with high sensitivity settings - Operates at boat speeds up to 70 mph (61 kts)
Trolling speed and distance log readings available with purchase of an optional sensor
FishReveal™ feature exposes fish targets hidden in surface clutter, weed beds, thermoclines, and other types of underwater cover
HyperScroll™ feature locates and displays targets at higher boat speeds
Advanced Signal Processing (ASP™) automatically adjusts your settings for the best sonar picture
Patented GRAYLINE™ separates fish from nearby structure and bottom
Advanced Fish I.D.™ shows underwater targets in different sizes of fish symbols
FishTrack™ displays target depth readings above fish symbols
Surface water temperature readings come from a built-in temp sensor in the transducer
Unique display feature lets you combine a panel of sonar data readings with your sonar graph in one easy-to-read display
Zoom with zoom bottom tracking and easy zoom-in/out control
Selective on/off sonar alarms: Shallow, Deep, Fish and Zone
Performance:

High-speed screen updates during depth range changes for uninterrupted viewing
Internal back-up memory for key sonar settings
Completely sealed and waterproof, even for use in harsh saltwater environments
Full one-year warranty
and can be found for around $160.

$129.99 on sale at Bass Pro Shops