Flooring: What to do ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Ark

Reaction score
I’m leaning toward a new Uncle J 1860 build. I stopped by local Seaark dealer today and priced out an 1860 on the lot with a few options including Linex coating. I can basically get a completed custom boat for the same money plus add on other options.

I’m stuck on flooring. I can not see paying big $ for Linex or a custom fit Seadek. Hard to keep clean and doesn’t last forever. I’m also OCD as hell and I like a clean stain free boat.

I’m having the boat painted and leaning towards doing my own install for the flooring. Not sure just what yet but if it’s a Seadek or similar that I can cut to fit and it holds up for a couple of years, I’m happy. I know in Florida sun, it’ll get hot as hell so just looking for ideas.

Suggestions?

I have had vinyl floor covering in my last two boats and like it a lot. It is very easy to keep clean. I didn't install it and if I had to guess would say it is Nautolex brand (mine is storm gray color). My current boat is approaching 2.5 years of use. There is absolutely zero wear in the stuff.

Albeit not a FL boat, but one left out on a mooring 24/7 from May to Oct, and Nautolex marine vinyl still looked good 24+ years later! NO OTHER flooring product can touch that ...

Cleans up simply and extremely well with pressure washing or spray CLorox-type cleaners 8) .

I think I ended up going with the Nautolex and I leave my boat at a dock from Apr through Oct. My flooring has come unglued all around the edges, most likely from sitting out in the sun. It feels like it has tightened up or shrunk a little and pulled in. I used S-18 all purpose cement and it just didn't seem to bond right, especially along the edges. I still wonder if sitting out in the sun caused it to loosen up it's adhesion. It's still better than trying to walk around on hot aluminum but I have a feeling I might be stripping it back out in the next couple of years and then will have to deal with cleaning up the left behind adhesive.

I’m going to try Tuff Coat Marine.
https://tuffcoatmarine.com/
I’ll let you know how it works out. I have got the insides and deck stripped down to bare aluminum. The etching primer came in a couple of days ago, but I didn’t realize that I only have a 48hr window to re-coat with the top coat. So now I’m waiting to get my texture samples in( fine or standard ). Then I’ll order my stuff.
It had pretty good reviews, I just hope it comes out the way I’ve got it pictured in my mind.

JL8Jeff said:
I think I ended up going with the Nautolex and I leave my boat at a dock from Apr through Oct. My flooring has come unglued all around the edges, most likely from sitting out in the sun. It feels like it has tightened up or shrunk a little and pulled in. I used S-18 all purpose cement and it just didn't seem to bond right, especially along the edges. I still wonder if sitting out in the sun caused it to loosen up it's adhesion. It's still better than trying to walk around on hot aluminum but I have a feeling I might be stripping it back out in the next couple of years and then will have to deal with cleaning up the left behind adhesive.

Oh boy, sorry to hear that. Mine is wrapped under the edges with staples on the underside of the ply. I didn't install it but assume there is some kind of glue also. When not in use mine is stored on a trailer and under a boat cover, so the exposure is a lot less. Sounds like yours is installed on an aluminum floor. I wonder if the aluminum heating up under the sun contributes to the issue you are seeing.

LDUBS said:
Oh boy, sorry to hear that. Mine is wrapped under the edges with staples on the underside of the ply. I didn't install it but assume there is some kind of glue also. When not in use mine is stored on a trailer and under a boat cover, so the exposure is a lot less. Sounds like yours is installed on an aluminum floor. I wonder if the aluminum heating up under the sun contributes to the issue you are seeing.

Yes, my flooring is glued directly to the aluminum. I followed the instructions and scuffed up the factory paint, then applied the adhesive to the aluminum floor and back of the flooring and gave it time to dry up before putting it down. One thing I remember seeing when I looked at a G3 1656 CCJ boat for sale was that the flooring was also riveted to the aluminum in the boat. I could by some narrow aluminum flat bar stock and rivet it down to hold the flooring in place along the edges, but some of it has also started to come unglued in the middle sections. I think the flooring needs some more serious glue than the contact adhesive, especially if the boat is going to be left out in the sun. I actually think some type of mat would work better since you could take it up and clean around it if you needed to.

Latest posts