Flotation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronbedard57

Reaction score
Hello
I’m working on a 14’ double-cockpit runabout. Can’t identity the manufacturer, and there’s no capacity/rating badge. All flotation was removed prior to purchase, and I want to restore at least most of what was originally provided.
The spaces beneath the seats, and the hollow partition between the two cockpits are obvious spaces to fill. I think I’ll also install some under the deck once the wiring is complete.
Has anyone got experience with this phase of a restoration?
I’m wondering whether to investigate some sort of emergency inflatable device instead.

The pink or blue insulation foam from Lowe's or Home Depot is what most use. It's closed cell and doesn't absorb water. I've had it under my floor and seats for 6 or 7 years now with zero issues. I even fill up the hull of my boat a time or two a year to check for leaks. Pulled the floor up a year or two ago and the foam was as good as new with zero water absorption.

2lb or 6lb foam density and location of the foam, could mean the difference between upright level flotation and sinking.

Coast guard boat builders guides gets deep into this subject and can be downloaded on the net.

There are some inexpensive 2 part closed cell foam mixtures that meet coast guard requirements.

The guide has some formulas for calculating amounts and locations.

I have a source for closed cell construction insulation foam, but have doubts about whether I can cram in the required amount. I’ll take a look at the C.G. info.
Thanks

Latest posts