Flu Shot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you take a flu shot

• Yes I will take a Flu shot

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • No I will not take a Flu shot

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
Got an email today at work that they are providing them for free to any employee that wants one. I've never had a flu shot mostly because I'm no fan of needles, but I had my name added to the list. I'll be 46 next month and I guess I have to start doing a lot of doctor related stuff that I'm not too fond of.

I got my flue "umm shot?" today. Went to the grocery store for some chicken. They had flue vaccinations in the minute clinic. I stopped in for a flue inhalant. They where out of shots but had the "vapor in da nose" so I got that.

jasonr95 said:
Check this out. Very scary.
https://www.infowars.com/evidence-of-thimerosal-h1n1-virus-in-seasonal-vaccination/

If you think that's scary, how will you feel if this turns out to be another 1918-1920 pandemic and you didn't have yourself and your family vaccinated ?? If it killed that many people back then, how many will a similar pandemic kill today ??? And from the results of this poll, about half the population is not or will not be vaccinated. I'd rather take my chances with the vaccine than the disease.

I agree that thimerosal should NOT be in children's vaccines, and packaging the vaccine in single dose vials would eliminate the need to include thimerosal in any of the vaccine. But that's another story for another time and thread.

russ010 said:
I don't have a choice - being in the military, I have to take it. I don't get the shot though... for the last 3 years I've had to take the one that goes up your nose - I call it the Nasal Drip Flu Shot

Same here. I'd rather not take it. In fact, I don't want to get it, but they're shooting us all up next weekend.

I'm on a national disaster team so I've gotten one for many years and never had the flu since. I just got back from a seminar on the swine flu and was told that although it's no more lethal than the seasonal flu, because it's a new kind of flu no one has any natural immunity built up for it. As a result, it's more transmissible by about 2.5 times or so. If the mortality rate for swine flu is about the same as seasonal flu but is 2.5 times more transmissible then 2.5 times more folks will die from it. Although the swine flu has been shown to be remarkably similar genetically and thus is more easily treated, the fear is that the disease might mutate when it comes into contact with someone already having the seasonal flu or, worse, avian flu. I got my seasonal flu shot a couple days ago and will the the swine flu shot when it becomes available.

Deadmeat said:
....I just got back from a seminar on the swine flu and was told that although it's no more lethal than the seasonal flu, because it's a new kind of flu no one has any natural immunity built up for it. As a result, it's more transmissible by about 2.5 times or so. If the mortality rate for swine flu is about the same as seasonal flu but is 2.5 times more transmissible then 2.5 times more folks will die from it. Although the swine flu has been shown to be remarkably similar genetically and thus is more easily treated, the fear is that the disease might mutate when it comes into contact with someone already having the seasonal flu or, worse, avian flu. I got my seasonal flu shot a couple days ago and will the the swine flu shot when it becomes available.

Exactly the point I was making. These statistics from the article I linked to are from a time when there were far fewer people in the world and they did not have air travel, a means to broadcast the disease across the globe in just days, magnifying the chance of the virus mutating by a factor I don't want to think about.

"The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish Flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify the geographic origin of the virus. Most of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients. The flu pandemic has also been implicated in the sudden outbreak of encephalitis lethargica in the 1920s.

The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920, spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 50 to 100 million people were killed worldwide. An estimated 500 million people, one third of the world's population (approximately 1.6 billion at the time), became infected.

Scientists have used tissue samples from frozen victims to reproduce the virus for study. Given the strain's extreme virulence there has been controversy regarding the wisdom of such research. Among the conclusions of this research is that the virus kills via a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system) which explains its unusually severe nature and the concentrated age profile of its victims. The strong immune systems of young adults ravaged the body, whereas the weaker immune systems of children and middle-aged adults caused fewer deaths."

I was a very healthy young man and was feeling just fine. But the office I worked for offered flu shots for $10. I thought it sounded like a good precaution to get one so that I would not get sick and miss work. I got the shot, and the next morning I woke up with a horrible case of the flu. I have never had one since and never had the flu either.

No I will not get one. My wife works at a local high school and they have had confirmed cases of swine flu, but neither one of us feel like we need to go get a shot.

Ten year ago I had gotten my first flu shot, missed 6 weeks of work because of it(I think)Never got another one and I've been fine, knock on wood.

S&MFish, well, maybe I can understand not getting the flu shot but I just can't quite understand someone not wanting to jump out of airplanes. After 1,100 skydives (including 8 malfunctions when I had to go to the reserve and 1 plane crash) I'm still doing it and still loving it. I guess it's just one of those things you have to experience to understand.

Deadmeat,I have friends who skydive.They've tried to get me to go but I won't do it.Then again,I'm a roofer and I'll walk the edge of the roof 200-300ft up and they won't.I guess it's "to each his own",if you know what I mean.

I'm lucky I rarely ever get sick. I took the flu shot once, when work gave them for free. one guy got real sick and I didn't feel great for a few days. Now, I won't take them at all.

S&MFish. Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't have any problem jumping out of an airplane at 15,000 feet but some of those rides at Six Flags? No way! Too scary! Rates right up there with being a roofer in my book.

Getting my flu shot tomorrow... and hopefully the swine flu shot when it is available. This is going to be a bad year. We have a lot of kids out of school with the flu and 4 cases of swine flu w/ two more possible.

It was explained to me that you can not get the flu from the injection. I asked why do people get so sick after getting the shot. The response was they aren't really sick, they just have flu-like symptoms as the body is building up it immune system. Sounds like they are sick to me. Any how, I've been getting it since 1986 when I joined the Navy and still get it. 1985 was the last year I got the flu. I'll keep getting it thank you. I'll be getting the H1N1 vaccine as soon as the VA has it too.

alumacraftjoe said:
Getting my flu shot tomorrow... and hopefully the swine flu shot when it is available. This is going to be a bad year. We have a lot of kids out of school with the flu and 4 cases of swine flu w/ two more possible.

We have a few out with "flu-like symptoms" as our school likes to say, but no H1N1 cases yet.

Popeye said:
It was explained to me that you can not get the flu from the injection. I asked why do people get so sick after getting the shot. The response was they aren't really sick, they just have flu-like symptoms as the body is building up it immune system. Sounds like they are sick to me. Any how, I've been getting it since 1986 when I joined the Navy and still get it. 1985 was the last year I got the flu. I'll keep getting it thank you. I'll be getting the H1N1 vaccine as soon as the VA has it too.

You young whipper-snapper! lol :)

I will seek, and find you.
I shall take you to bed and have my way with you.
I will make you ache, shake and sweat until you moan and groan.

I will make you beg for mercy, beg for me to stop.

I will exhaust you to the point that you will be relieved when I'm finished with you.
And, when I am finished, you will be weak, for days.

All my love,

The Flu

Now, Get Your Mind Out
Of The Gutter !

We have a lot of swine flu cases now..... over 30 out in the middle school today. Took my daughter for her yearly check up today and doc said they have had over 50 cases of type A (h1n1) every day this week. Seasonal flu has not hit here yet. Hopefully I avoid the h1n1 as vaccine won't be available for a while here except for hospital workers.