Four stroke 25 vs old 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 42 year old Johnson 35 is e-start, fires up instantly if you even look at the key sideways, and has shown no signs yet of reduced reliability. Also, it was stated earlier that there was only a 4# difference between a 2-stroke 30 and a 4-stroke 25? Not on the ones I’ve shopped. Maybe I’m wrong and light 4’s might exist, but I’ve seen MUCH higher weight hp/hp between the 2. That’s mostly why I bought a tuned up 1979 Johnson 35 (for many thousands of dollars less) than the pretty, quiet, and smooth four stroke I was initially considering. A Mercury 35 (new) was 267 pounds, more than DOUBLE the weight of the Johnson! The Yamaha 30 was listed at 214, roughly a 100#’s more the my Johnnyrude.
If I had a bigger boat I would definitely consider a 4-stroke, but for my 14’ tin boat there’s no freaking way I’d hang that much weight on the back of the boat.
My $ 0.02? Save thousands of dollars, save half the weight, have a much faster engine per hp rating, and enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling when you smell premix burning in the morning.

Dan B. said:
My 42 year old Johnson 35 is e-start, fires up instantly if you even look at the key sideways, and has shown no signs yet of reduced reliability. Also, it was stated earlier that there was only a 4# difference between a 2-stroke 30 and a 4-stroke 25? Not on the ones I’ve shopped. Maybe I’m wrong and light 4’s might exist, but I’ve seen MUCH higher weight hp/hp between the 2. That’s mostly why I bought a tuned up 1979 Johnson 35 (for many thousands of dollars less) than the pretty, quiet, and smooth four stroke I was initially considering. A Mercury 35 (new) was 267 pounds, more than DOUBLE the weight of the Johnson! The Yamaha 30 was listed at 214, roughly a 100#’s more the my Johnnyrude.
If I had a bigger boat I would definitely consider a 4-stroke, but for my 14’ tin boat there’s no freaking way I’d hang that much weight on the back of the boat.
My $ 0.02? Save thousands of dollars, save half the weight, have a much faster engine per hp rating, and enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling when you smell premix burning in the morning.

MIght have been in reference to Etecs, not the old motors. Etecs are not much lighter than 4 strokes, if at all.