Fuel line

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthecrank

Reaction score
I’m looking at new outboards, and I see they are all pretty complete in the box. What i am seeing is in all cases, the fuel line that is supplied is grey in color. Is this the old grey line that breaks down over time? Or is this a new generation with no problems? Thanks

Speaking of fuel lines...my used boat/ motor came with what was supposed to be a new fuel line. It is gray and there in no black liner inside that I have heard so much talk about. So...is it the newer line, or how does one tell ??

Speaking of fuel lines...my used boat/ motor came with what was supposed to be a new fuel line. It is gray and there in no black liner inside that I have heard so much talk about. So...is it the newer line, or how does one tell ??
The gray or silver line that had the most issues had a clear inner liner in it. Even the primer bulbs were coming apart internally and blocking flow.

Mine does not appear to have any liner, just the gray outer hose. There were a couple vidoes out showing what looked like a black inner hose all messed up causing the fuel line issues....so says the videos...

Also, the gray vs. black fuel lines are for different applications ...

A1 - Fuel feed hose; Black in color, has a fire resistant cover; designed to have fuel in the hose at all times, made for use below decks or under engine hatches, say on inboard or I/O motors ... it has the highest fire resistance.

B2 - Fuel feed hose; Gray in color without a fire resistant cover; designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces, read 'above deck' or open air use.

Both allegedly are made to the same SAE J1527 marine standard for use with alcohol fuels, however the construction on the tube/liner is different, where it is spiral/laminated on the heavier A1 hose. Yes it is a premium hose and yes, you will pay for it.

But I will tell you that I myself would NEVER use the cheaper gray B hose on any large HP fuel injected motor, 2 or 4-stroke. The lining on the gray B hoses has been known to break down internally and cause problems, have seen it myself - the inside lining delaminates from the outside gray housing and the lining gets sucked flat inside.

I have yet to see any A1 hose breakdown that was less than 25-years+ of age/use ...

Gray Fuel Line1.jpgGray Fuel Line2.jpg

Gray Fuel Line3.jpg

Also, the gray vs. black fuel lines are for different applications ...

A1 - Fuel feed hose; Black in color, has a fire resistant cover; designed to have fuel in the hose at all times, made for use below decks or under engine hatches, say on inboard or I/O motors ... it has the highest fire resistance.

B2 - Fuel feed hose; Gray in color without a fire resistant cover; designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces, read 'above deck' or open air use.

Both allegedly are made to the same SAE J1527 marine standard for use with alcohol fuels, however the construction on the tube/liner is different, where it is spiral/laminated on the heavier A1 hose. Yes it is a premium hose and yes, you will pay for it.

But I will tell you that I myself would NEVER use the cheaper gray B hose on any large HP fuel injected motor, 2 or 4-stroke. The lining on the gray B hoses has been known to break down internally and cause problems, have seen it myself - the inside lining delaminates from the outside gray housing and the lining gets sucked flat inside.

I have yet to see any A1 hose breakdown that was less than 25-years+ of age/use ...
Thanks for the info. Is there a brand of B2 hose you recommend?

Great info..however I don't see any type of liner in my gray hose. Replaced the inline filter early in the season, trimmed back 3/4" on each end to get fresh hose to clamp on. Carefull examination did not show any type of liner, this is why I ask ..

Just judging by the pics posted here, my gray fuel line has a thinner wall on it. The pics show a heavier wall on the hose, mine while gray in color, is almost translucent when held up to the light. Just trying to figure if I have the good stuff ?? When it comes to my boat and my safety, I will spend the extra to be sure I have the right stuff !!
In all my boating years (60), this is the first gray fuel line for me, all ithers have been black.

I agree with Pappy, I can’t imagine that a manufacturer would supply a less tha than adequate, or even premium part. Some of the bigger hp outboards I have looked at do have a black hose. 9.9 seems to have gray and 25’s have the black.

I agree with Pappy, I can’t imagine that a manufacturer would supply a less tha than adequate, or even premium part. Some of the bigger hp outboards I have looked at do have a black hose. 9.9 seems to have gray and 25’s have the black.
I have read you guy's post very informative; I have black on mine which I switched over to as the grey when I got my boat was stiff as heck & bulb was so hard could crack walnuts with it. Now I have question I have two smaller outboards I picked up. Walmart carry's the full set up grey lines W/ bulbs included. Should I go w/ those for smaller o/b or continuing to use the black & throw a bulb in between? considering black absorbs heat & grey does not attract as much. Is this also reason for the diff types? I also wrote info down on the "Sheild's 368" I will check that out and just maybe switch everything over for all to that & have it over & done with. what do you guys think?

Last edited:
" what do you guys think?"

Well, since you asked, I would avoid the silver or gray ones. Exception being, as said earlier, if from the outboard manufacturer. Even so, the packaging takes careful reading to make sure it is what you think it is.

Maybe this is stupidly simplistic, but can't we just put a filter under the cowl and not worry about the hoses until the day they DO start to come apart? If that day comes? I got filters on everything now. Just seems like smart insurance and a lot cheaper than replacing hoses based on the possibility they are an upgrade over what we have. Man, I'd like to shoot the guy who first proposed mixing alcohol with gasoline. Sure engines will run with a little bit of alky in them, but they'd probably also run with a little bit of p!ss in them!

Shields 368 is my choice, my local Napa store is where I buy from when I need to. Which is not often.

I have filters on all my stuff as well, but waiting until a problem arises is just asking for more trouble and headache.
Yes, I probably go overboard on my maintenence, always have, I enjoy tinkering...gives me piece of mind! In my 60 plus years of boat ownership, I have towed in many from lack of simple care, but can honestly say I have never had to be towed in !!

I have no specialized knowledge. I constantly read about problems caused by collapsed liners in fuel lines on this and other forums. For that reason, right or wrong, I've changed my mind about this. I won't be using gray fuel line regardless of who made it. Why take the chance.