Harbor Freight boat trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyerBassman

Reaction score
I picked up a 1969 12' Alumacraft last year at an estate sale for next to nothing. After a summer of loading it on the truck, I really want a trailer for it. I also want to start a mod after looking at all the outstanding jobs that people have done on their boats. But I need that trailer first. After searching Craigslist all winter and finding nothing worthwhile, I am looking into Harbor Freight's small boat trailer. Anyone have this trailer, and is it worthwhile? Pros and cons? Thanks! Can't wait to start my mods.

the price is right but it is not galvanized so wouldn't want it in salt water myself. I think I would rather spend $150 more and get a galvinized one that is already assembled.
bumpy

bumpyroad said:
the price is right but it is not galvanized so wouldn't want it in salt water myself. I think I would rather spend $150 more and get a galvinized one that is already assembled.
bumpy

Where can you get a galvanized trailer for under 500? I might be needing one before long.

I purchased the HF 4 x 8 utility trailer and converted it to a boat trailer to haul my 12' flatbottom.

Ken

Keep looking on craigslist, one will turn up. Even if its set up for a v bottom or something, you can always change the bunks around. I know someone who bought that trailer and it didnt work out to well. BTW, how did you come about your username?

chrispy186 said:
Keep looking on craigslist, one will turn up. Even if its set up for a v bottom or something, you can always change the bunks around. I know someone who bought that trailer and it didnt work out to well. BTW, how did you come about your username?
I live in Dyer, IN and like to fish for bass! Kinda dumb, I know.

DyerBassman said:
chrispy186 said:
Haha its cool, just making sure we didnt have the same last name 8)

chrispy186 said:
DyerBassman said:
chrispy186 said:
Haha its cool, just making sure we didnt have the same last name 8)
Why, what's your name? Maybe we're related!

bassboy1 said:
bumpyroad said:
bumpy

Where can you get a galvanized trailer for under 500? I might be needing one before long.

yea ditto on that

If you get a used one, make sure to look real good at it used boat trailers are normaly used and abused, you can always bank on needed new tires/bearing/lights and wires on them for some reason

Butthead said:
Just an FYI, a bunch of the Haul Master trailers from Harbor Freight are only recommended to be used up to 45MPH.
Page 5, #8: https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/90000-90999/90154.pdf

I was going to get a small HF trailer but read that and decided against it.

alot of trailer manufactures say that, u-haul says it on their trailers ....... I think its a lawyer mumbo jumbo ..... but then again the trailer "folds up" so IDK lol I only buy factory built welded trailers

I was looking at their boat trailer, not the foldable one. Maybe I'll check out the manual for it on their site. Still searching Craigslist and finding junk!

Have you thought about getting a trailer specifically to rebuild? As long as the frame is straight and not cracked or rusted out, everything else can be replaced on it.

You can get complete axle and spring assemblies for about $200 shipped, possibly cheaper locally.
Wheels for about $80 (Walmart or HF)
HF LED lights for $50
Coupler for $20 or less (Amazon)
Fenders $30
Carpeted bunk boards with brackets $50

Yes, I have thought about that, too. I have been looking all over my area for something that I can make work. I really want to get this process rolling so I can start fixing up the boat before springtime fishing!

Butthead said:
Have you thought about getting a trailer specifically to rebuild? As long as the frame is straight and not cracked or rusted out, everything else can be replaced on it.

You can get complete axle and spring assemblies for about $200 shipped, possibly cheaper locally.
HF LED lights for $50
Fenders $30

Now there is a man that would do exactly like I would, I LOVE a project!!!!!!!!!!!!

Butthead said:

HF LED lights for $50
Fenders $30
I bought my trailer on CL for around $75 then did bearings, wheels &tires, winch, lights, bunks/carpet and paint. Total cost around $200.

Latest posts