Holy Grail of Trolling Motor Plugs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They work very well. Thats what are on electric fork trucks. I think the chargers were 36V 150A. Been a while since I worked on one. Can't remember ever replacing one unless they slammed the hood onto it and cracked the plastic. Just make sure you have the right crimping tool. Or make one. I had to make one out of a bolt and a piece of bar stock. I welded the bar stock to form a V so the ends would lay in the V. Then took a 5/16"x1" bolt and ground the end to look like a flat head screw driver tip. But more blunt. Then put it into a vice and press the tip into the connector. It actually works really well!

If my current plug ever gives me fits I'll probably switch to one of the anderson connectors I already have a big one for the winch on my car trailer never thought about using one for a trolling motor plug. We use them at work for all the fork trucks, power pallet jacks, walk behind fork trucks, jlg man lifts they work never have them fail unless they smashed hard and break

Went out on my first bowfishing trip this weekend. Trolled for about 6 hours straight and the plug didn't even get warm. Problem solved. Like I said all along, the issue was not the gauge/length of wire.

i see battery tender has an adapter to put the wires in a straight line to plug. is there a way for water to get in the plug when installed facing up? will b purchasing it, but think i will rotate the receptcle so wires come in from the side. am a big believer in the heatshrink and liquid tape.

went ahead and ordered it today with the inline adaptor. dont know if i will use the adaptor but will make it easy to install if i decide i need it. let us know how urs works.

got plug seems like i never have what i need on hand. got plenty of 10ga crimps but they r for 3/8 post. got dremel but no blades.picked up dremel blades cant find 10 ga crimps w 5/16 hole. find 8 ga w 5/16 hole. nothing ever easy.decided not to use inline adaptor. taped up opening in plugs for now. let me know how the silicone works. am i the only one that has problems going between wire gages? will post review after this weekend

went out yesterday, w new plug. worked great. only issue is the 90 deg bend sticking up. will try inline adapter and see how it works on next trip.gotta say though, i hate my tm. 55# minn kota. always tightening screws . now the cable sheath popped out of the head. anyone ever deal with that?

hipster dufus said:
went out yesterday, w new plug. worked great. only issue is the 90 deg bend sticking up. will try inline adapter and see how it works on next trip.gotta say though, i hate my tm. 55# minn kota. always tightening screws . now the cable sheath popped out of the head. anyone ever deal with that?

Post some pics. I'd like to see what you're talking about.

Well you guys talked me into it. I went for it. No report yet, hopefully I get out soon to give you guys a review. Install was a breeze. I used 10gauge flexible silicone wire going to the battery which was tinned copper and seems to be top notch, extremely flexible. The connection also has caps to cover the terminals from the elements that you can see in the second pic.

3173c3fe33a4e1dfc2d6e218cabffd38.jpg
148e6ab0a6b5f388fdd25e0a6558cfc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch Release Repeat said:
Well you guys talked me into it. I went for it. No report yet, hopefully I get out soon to give you guys a review. Install was a breeze. I used 10gauge flexible silicone wire going to the battery which was tinned copper and seems to be top notch, extremely flexible. The connection also has caps to cover the terminals from the elements that you can see in the second pic.

Where did you get the meshy wire loom? I like that stuff, but can't find any locally.

mbweimar said:
Catch Release Repeat said:

Where did you get the meshy wire loom? I like that stuff, but can't find any locally.

eBay, it's like 6 bucks for 25 bucks. Expandable wire cable sleeping should come up on a search.

I'm mounting a 4500 lb ATV winch to my trailer tongue so I can dunk my boat on my private ramp at my lake place. I don't always have the tow vehicle my DW prefers when I'm there and a manual shift Miata won't cut it. Going to use my existing trolling motor Deep cycle group 31 battery up front under the casting platform to power the winch. I bought 5 50 Amp connectors and a dust cover. 3 yellow ones, one 6 gauge to go to the battery cable and 2 8 gauge for the winch and trolling motor connections and 2 8 gauge red connectors for the winch hand control.

My local Granger wanted almost triple what I paid Powerwerx with 2 day air shipping included. I'm not cheap, I'm "Frugal". :oops:

skipper123 said:
Now your talking, that flat plug is what I use never even warms up. I melted all the plugs made for trolling motors as well as the big foot switches two a year. And yea I know wire sizing and over size everything. If you want to see what she will do troll upstream in the Savanna river current dragging large striper lures for about six hours on high speed with a 12 volt 55lb motor. That will give the electrical system for the trolly motor a serious test. The weak link will fail or melt. Mine was the plug and big foot switch every time. #6 copper wire straight off the battery with electrical lugs would carry the load and not heat up but the plug could not handle it. Finally took out the plug and switch and straight wired it with the 60 amp cir cute breaker at the battery. Problem solved never had trouble after that.

I do the same thing, split bolt connectors and tape.

Did the caps come with the connector or can you get them seperate?