How do you save a few extra dollars?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months ago, I changed my direct deposit to put $40 a check into savings and the rest into checking, I don't realize that it is even gone, and my savings account grows $80 a month. My wife is a bartender, so her checks are very small since most of her money comes from tips, so her checks are just put right into savings, it is helping grow savings rather quickly.

We also buy mostly store brand stuff too. The only thing I refuse to buy store brand is peanut butter, have to go with Jif.

I have 2 envelopes,I put $20 in each every week.Don't touch them.
Ones to help get a head start on Christmas and the other was for me.The daughters braces kinda put a thumping on the "mine" envelope lately,only 7 more months till there paid though.
Try not to buy anything unless I know I have the cash to pay it off in a month,interest stinks.
Burn wood for fuel,$500 heats me for a year.

Loggerhead Mike said:
now bassboy.. flipping 50 bucks worth of drugs is not an investment... :mrgreen:

just messin. how bout you share that investment idear so we can all live like kings :lol:
Nope, not drugs. Perfectly legal, moral, and I am sure many of y'all have done it to a lesser extent. I will tell you what it is when I have somewhere between 12 and 15k. Until then. [-( :-#

Burn wood for heat, look for fishen gear deals

Generic stuff galore, hand me downs, I was hopeing to fill the freezer from hunting but not so :cry: and stay away from family :lol:

Thats how we do it.

never heard of Dukes.

Here we have Cains, Helmans and budget brand.

crazy northerners :?

it must be an ingles grocery store thing. they run a monopoly in my town. i wish a publix would move up here

i lived off the free mayo packets from fast food in college. im glad those days are gone

Last year there was an MSN soundoff thing about what you do to save money. I saw some person wrote in they take newspapers from various driveways in the morning (never the same driveway during a 1 month period), they also hooked up a garden hose and extension cord to their neighbors house while they were on vacation. Now I'm sure there are people out there that do that and more but I thought it was funny that they woud post it and be surprised that others wrote back bashing him/her.

flounderhead59 said:
Last year there was an MSN soundoff thing about what you do to save money. I saw some person wrote in they take newspapers from various driveways in the morning (never the same driveway during a 1 month period), they also hooked up a garden hose and extension cord to their neighbors house while they were on vacation. Now I'm sure there are people out there that do that and more but I thought it was funny that they woud post it and be surprised that others wrote back bashing him/her.

:LOL2:

Jim said:
Im about to go run a 300 foot extension cord to the neighbors house for all these Christmas lights!

Thanks for the heads up! :LOL2:

I'm gonna pipe a hose from Jim's house to mine so I can have free water for about a month or so(or until he finds out). :mrgreen:

PS. Don't tell Jim. :wink:

:lol:

I saw some person wrote in they take newspapers from various driveways in the morning (never the same driveway during a 1 month period), they also hooked up a garden hose and extension cord to their neighbors house while they were on vacation.

i recon there not friendly neighbors.... =D>

I have no issue buying from a thrift store if it's something I'm gonna put a beating on.

I take care of the neighbor lady's driveway when it snows. 20 bucks a snow plus fresh cookies, and I already have the ATV out with the plow anyways.

I also watch the gas prices.

When I delivered pizzas I lived off my tips and kept my checks in the bank. That's how I bought both boats I have had this summer, my 32 inch LCD for my room, and everything I needed to put on my current boat, my iPhone, and a few other things.

I now work at Gander Mountain and always watch for good deals on things I need/want and get a discount on everything as well.

When I worked in the tech department at the school district I got Photoshop, GoLive, and a few other programs for my Mac free cause I was considered faculty and could use their unlimited licences.

Electronics and other things I always looked for open box items first. You can save a lot and they are still covered under warranty.

I've hinted to it a few times. I'm going to start posting the store ads if I see anything noteworthy. Right now most of our sales are on hunting stuff due to the seasons nearing an end.

Bubba said:
Jim said:
Im about to go run a 300 foot extension cord to the neighbors house for all these Christmas lights!

I'm gonna pipe a hose from Jim's house to mine so I can have free water for about a month or so(or until he finds out). :mrgreen:

Make sure you get a hose heater and plug that into Jim's house electric so the hose does not freeze on the way to TN

Jim, just flip your electric meter it will run backwards do it for a few days a month save the cord for your boat.
Another good idea is get a long hose and take gas out of your neighbors gas tank
I went out to a farm and borrowed a goat they keep my grass nice and short thus giving me more time to fish.
store brands??? why bother just get the name brands and stuff them in your jacket..

I love the never spend a five dollar bill thing.

now to my real trick... I bowl 2 nights a week in the winter and get into side pot games I take my winnings and put it in a jar and save it for my tournament season last year was around $500. and I'm already over $400 this year and only 1/3 of the way through
change jar works too

Captain Ahab said:
Bubba said:
Jim said:

Make sure you get a hose heater and plug that into Jim's house electric so the hose does not freeze on the way to TN

Good Idea! :beer: :mrgreen:

ShadowWalker said:
I take care of the neighbor lady's driveway when it snows. 20 bucks a snow plus fresh cookies, and I already have the ATV out with the plow anyways.

COOKIES! If my neighbor gave me cookies for doing her driveway I would say screw the money and tell her to double up on the cookies.