In Search of Monster Walleye

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccmt

Reaction score
Some friends and I have an annual trip to the Bay of Quinte in Ontario. The fall is the time when the big ones come in from Lake Ontario and put on the feed. We didn't find the HUGE ones, but we found a few nice ones.

We typically trolled in waters than ranged in the 25 to 50 foot range. Planer boards to get the baits way off to the sides of the boat (150+ feet) at a slow speed of 1.7 to 2.0 mph. We used reef runners, Dr Death, Storm deep divers etc...anywhere from 70 to 200 feet back from the boards...the target depth to run them was anywhere from 18 to 30 feet.

We had 3 great days of weather. Skies slightly overcast, light winds, stable weather and a little "walleye" chop on the surface. We marked lots of fish...the odd bait ball...but for some reason the fish had lock jaw!! A tournament with 45 boats and 90 anglers launched where we did on the Saturday...and only 4 fish were weighed in!!

Onto the results...

A 7 pounder I caught...
01cliffwalleye-Copy.jpg

A beautiful 8.25 pound one...about 29 inches long.
06cliffwalleye2.jpg

A friend that joined us got this nice one...
08mikewalleye.jpg

Big fish of the weekend went to Gerritt
03gerrittwalleye.jpg

No Walleye for my buddy Will...but he got a nice pike!
05willpike.jpg

A few scenery shots
07sunset.jpg

09sunset.jpg

Those are real nice fish, and darn good eating to. We used to fish Hay Bay many years ago we always had a good time up there, don't know why we haven't gone up lately.

dieselfixer said:
Those are real nice fish, and darn good eating to. We used to fish Hay Bay many years ago we always had a good time up there, don't know why we haven't gone up lately.

Thanks! All these fish went back to swim another day. We launched out of Hay Bay on our second day...rented a cottage there as well for the weekend.

DUDE!!! I know exactly where all those spots are and I'll be up there to steal your fish real soon. :twisted:

Gerrit actually went fishing??? I thought he just liked to talk about going and then cancel at the last minute... what's this world coming to? It was a good idea to make him wear that thing over his mouth like that, was that voluntary or mandatory? :wink:

Those are some beautiful fish y'all caught and it's too bad they weren't biting better for y'all.

Maybe one of these years I can come up there and show y'all how to catch them Crappie trolling style... I just gotta figure out how to rig up a 500,000 BTU heater on my boat so I don't freeze to death! :shock:

Latest posts