is a 25hp 2stroke too much for a 1236 w/ pods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333229#p333229 said:
erictetterton » Today, 19:03[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333197#p333197 said:
lovedr79 » Today, 15:38[/url]"]25hp, with pods shouldnt be a problem. but if you get stopped you will get burned bad by fish and game, USCG or DNR. if you watch the alligator hunting show you will see some very overloaded and over powered boats.......

i have never had them check my rating plate either.... so what's everyone talking about getting burned bad if i get stopped? if they dont even look at the rating plates?

Just one more thing they can sue you for if you ever were involved in an accident with someone else, or deny coverage on an insurance claim.

Well if someone is inclined to sue they will sue because you have to many dents in your tin boat. My point being they will find something.

I keep hearing it is against the law. I live in Texas can anyone point me to the statuette.

I know some capacity plates say Recommended Max HP. You can't ticket over a recommendation.

To the OP:
Is there any way to test ride the motor or possibly borrow a 25 from a friend to see how it sets in the water? This is what I would do if available and if it set halfway good heck yea I would do it!

Have fun you only live once!

[quote

Just one more thing they can sue you for if you ever were involved in an accident with someone else, or deny coverage on an insurance claim.[/quote]

If you get involved in an auto accident you can get sued........................... #-o

Just one more thing they can sue you for if you ever were involved in an accident with someone else, or deny coverage on an insurance claim.

Correct. This is when they begin to take issue with the rating plate. I had it work against me in court one time. A para-sailing boat throwing a 3 foot wave swamped my boat and took out my Tigershark engine. And this was not the first time he had swamped someone in the inlet with his reckless ocean cowboy chit. He had already been tried and convicted of the same thing twice in the previous year. Once again, the so-called "Captain" (I use the term laughingly) was charged with negligent operation. But when we went to court, his bottom-dweller asked me how many HP my boat had, and I answered honestly, a 100HP engine. Unlike his wormy POS client, I take being under oath seriously, I'm not going to lie.
Then he asked me what the rating plate said on my boat, and I answered honestly, 50HP.

Well, that was that. In the jury's eyes, it was MY fault that I got swamped because my boat was overpowered. Never mind that a Tigershark engine fully assembled weighs about 150 lbs, and a 50HP outboard 2 stroke weighs 205 lbs. And never mind that his scrunt of a client has a bad habit of operating at plow speed, seeing how large of a wake he can throw, breaking channel buoys loose from their anchoring, and swamping every boat he passes, and never mind the 2 previous convictions, can't bring that up. And never mind that I had 6 other people, 3 of them in law enforcement, come to court prepared to testify about the SOB swamping their boats....all of my witnesses were thrown out, as were all my photos of engine damage, etc.

Oh, and never mind that juries are selected from registered voters, we already know how stupid the average voter is, based on the past several election cycles. Heck, one of the jurors kept falling asleep during the trial. More than likely, it was a put-up job from the start, as in, a lawyer buying off the judge and the solicitor.

I say that, because, despite the colossal stupidity of Judge Dan Furr and the assistant solicitor Jackie Smith, as well as the hand-picked stooges on the jury.....my insurance company doesn't think my boat is overpowered with a 160 HP 4 stroke, I have it insured. Maybe if I'd had that documentation when I went to court, the outcome may have been different.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333252#p333252 said:
Country Dave » Today, 05:21[/url]"]

If you get involved in an auto accident you can get sued........................... #-o
You can get sued for selling a hot cup of coffee to go, but I think the point here is that you would be making it easier for someone to "win" a suit if they pointed out that based on mfg's recommendations, you had overpowered your boat. That being said, if those pods supported the extra weight (which it looks like that certainly would) and the transom was solid and attached well at the corners, I'd have to at least try that 25hp. The adventurous side of me would have to take it on at least one ride and then determine if it was too much motor or not. :mrgreen:

P.S. And if you decide to keep the 25 on the boat, you might want to consider removing the plate that gives the recommended HP. At least for the time being, that way no one can say that it's only supposed to have XX motor and you knew it cause it's printed right there on the boat. :lol:

I think you should play around with your motor set-up before you repower. Your motor is mounted extremely low. Looks to be a short shaft, so you will need a jack plate to mount it higher. With a jack plate you will also have some set back, so you can raise it so the anti-cav plate is about 2" above the bottom of the transom you will run faster from having less drag. You also mentioned you were turning 6250 rpm's with a 9p prop in a different post. You could most certainly turn a 11p and still be in the proper rpm band. I would think with the proper set-up you could gain 5 mph.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333268#p333268 said:
muskiemike12 » Today, 11:18[/url]"]I think you should play around with your motor set-up before you repower. Your motor is mounted extremely low. Looks to be a short shaft, so you will need a jack plate to mount it higher. With a jack plate you will also have some set back, so you can raise it so the anti-cav plate is about 2" above the bottom of the transom you will run faster from having less drag. You also mentioned you were turning 6250 rpm's with a 9p prop in a different post. You could most certainly turn a 11p and still be in the proper rpm band. I would think with the proper set-up you could gain 5 mph.

Hmmm... this is interesting. I may have to mess around with the motor height then. Thanks

i just ordered my 9.25" x 11p Solas SS prop and I just bought the materials to make my own custom jack plate following this build here: https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/forum/6-general-boat-talk/696-how-to-build-your-own-jackplate
I couldnt find any 1/4" aluminum angle locally so I am going to use 1/8" steel and prime/paint it with some rustoleum professional... Hopefully it wont corrode the aluminum with it sealed with good paint...

I am going to put the cavitation plate 2" above the bottom of the boat and see what MPH reading i get with the 11p prop. Hopefully i wont exceed my RPM rating for my motor with this 11p prop. I have a tach onboard to monitor.