is a 25hp 2stroke too much for a 1236 w/ pods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While driving your vehicle if you exceed the posted speed limit anywhere in the USA you might get pulled over by a law enforcement officer and you may receive a fine. If you’re vehicle is found to be unsafe bald tires tail lamps or brake lamps out, cracked mirrors or windshield etc, you may receive a fine. “I’m pretty sure they don’t check rated HP” :LOL2:

If you injure someone do to your negligent you may find yourself embattled in legal issues or possibly incarcerated. “No chit”

I find it extremely ironic that when someone decides to put an outboard motor on their boat that’s 10 HP above the suggested rating for that hull we all get like “o my god that crazy, that’s stupid, don’t do it” really…………. [-X
So for all the safety police out there make sure you don’t exceed the posted speed limit and check your tires and all safety related items today before you drive…………………………… :LOL2:

Country Dave said:
I had a 25HP on my 1442 without and issues,

It may be a little overkill but as long as the boat perform well and its not unsafe go for it. I think the pods will really help.
I don't like under powered boats, they are unsafe.

Apples to oranges. There is a huge difference between a 1442 with a 25 and a 1236 with a 25. I had a 175 on my 17' bass boat so I should be able to put one on my 1652 john boat right?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333159#p333159 said:
T Man » 11 minutes ago[/url]"]
Country Dave said:
I had a 25HP on my 1442 without and issues,

It may be a little overkill but as long as the boat perform well and its not unsafe go for it. I think the pods will really help.
I don't like under powered boats, they are unsafe.

Apples to oranges. There is a huge difference between a 1442 with a 25 and a 1236 with a 25. I had a 175 on my 17' bass boat so I should be able to put one on my 1652 john boat right?

Well let’s do the math,

1442-1236 24 inches shorter and 6 inches narrower 10 HP more. I guess your definition of “Huge difference” and mine are much different sir........... :LOL2:

20 ft all aluminum hull with a 1,370 HP turbine motor.

Now that's what I'm talking about. O wait that might not be safe........................... :LOL2:

Attachments

• jet_engine_boat_4.jpg
    jet_engine_boat_4.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 538
My point being twofold,

Firstly let’s not be so hypercritical when someone wants to do something a little adventurous and maybe a little risky. I’m sure people told Lewis and Clark they were crazy and stupid, I call them brave.

My second point would be, with the right mods anything can be done, yes even a 175HP on a 1652 if or 1370 HP motor on a 20 if that’s what you want. Limits are for limited people with limited minds and limited aspirations.

Country Dave said:

Now that's what I'm talking about. O wait that might not be safe........................... :LOL2:

Again apples to oranges. That's a purpose built boat. Read my original post. I don't care as much about the power, its the weight I would be concerned with. A 1236 usually has a short transom. They have low freeboards because they weren't designed to carry the weight. And yes 24"x6" is huge when it comes to stability and displacement. I can haul twice the load in my 1652 than my buddy can in his 1836 john. Why? Because I displace more water. Put the motor in the boat with fuel and a full fishing load and get the op in the boat and take a picture of the freeboard. It will only be a few inches. This will be fine while running but severely limit the amount of chop it can safely be in without being swamped. There may only be a 20 lb difference between motors, but its where that weight is placed, aft of the transom, that makes the difference.

What are the dimensions of the pods and how low do they sit in the water?

In the end I could care less how big of a motor he hangs on his boat but with the added weight he WILL lose fishability with the loss of freeboard.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333171#p333171 said:
Country Dave » Today, 11:41[/url]"]
Firstly let’s not be so hypercritical when someone wants to do something a little adventurous and maybe a little risky. I’m sure people told Lewis and Clark they were crazy and stupid, I call them brave.

They were running over-powered tin, also?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333183#p333183 said:
New River Rat » 22 minutes ago[/url]"]
Country Dave » Today, 11:41[/url]"]

They were running over-powered tin, also?

The placard in their flat boat stated it was only rated for 6 people rowing, but they had 10.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Eh, the OP has clearly decided he wants to go this route, and is only interested in posts that reassure him instead of considering all the options.

A boat has a rated motor size for a lot of reasons, a few of those being the amount of flotation foam used in the boat and displacement capacity. In boats running small outboards transom "strength" has very little to do with the hp rating of a boat. A piece of 1.5" sandwich ply isnt going to be any stronger by making it longer a few inches longer. Ever wonder why boats are rated for more hp on remote console boats than tiller steer boats? The boat can handle the weight of a bigger motor if the entire package weight (motor, fuel, batteries, gear, driver, passenger) is more evenly distributed. Just as an example put 50 extra pounds on the transom of your boat, and put 100 extra pounds in the dead center of the boat...You will have more freeboard in the boat with 100 extra pounds every time.

nbaffaro said:
I bet t you pass a lot of fish in 20 miles

Ive got a spot 12 miles from the boat ramp I like to go chase catfish. Are there fish along the way? You bet, but I can get to the only good riffle with nice eddies in 20 miles, so i go there.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333177#p333177 said:
T Man » Today, 12:24[/url]"]
Country Dave said:

Again apples to oranges. That's a purpose built boat. Read my original post. I don't care as much about the power, its the weight I would be concerned with. A 1236 usually has a short transom. They have low freeboards because they weren't designed to carry the weight. And yes 24"x6" is huge when it comes to stability and displacement. I can haul twice the load in my 1652 than my buddy can in his 1836 john. Why? Because I displace more water. Put the motor in the boat with fuel and a full fishing load and get the op in the boat and take a picture of the freeboard. It will only be a few inches. This will be fine while running but severely limit the amount of chop it can safely be in without being swamped. There may only be a 20 lb difference between motors, but its where that weight is placed, aft of the transom, that makes the difference.

What are the dimensions of the pods and how low do they sit in the water?

In the end I could care less how big of a motor he hangs on his boat but with the added weight he WILL lose fishability with the loss of freeboard.

Yeh I don’t know about hauling twice as much in a 1652 than an 1836. Looks like about 180 lbs deference when you do the math, and that’s total load differential. Nowhere near twice the load capacity. Bro are you prone to exaggerate :LOL2: Besides the float pods will more than compensate for a 20lbs increase in motor weight. Even small float pods will support up to 150lbs.

Country Dave » Today, 11:41[/url]"]My point being twofold,

My second point would be, with the right mods anything can be done, yes even a 175HP on a 1652 if or 1370 HP motor on a 20 if that’s what you want. Limits are for limited people with limited minds and limited aspirations.

I agree.

My jetboat, for instance, is a 1648, rated for a 50HP, and it has a 160 HP engine (although, it is an inboard, so, there's not much force being applied to the transom like it would if the engine was an OBM) Although my boat would be considered 'overpowered' as far as the HP, the insurance company didn't think so, as they approved an insurance policy on the boat.

Snapchat-9804_zps406ef4de.jpg

Snapchat-6655_zps834afe3f.jpg

Snapchat-8411_zps83321eda.jpg

Beavertail pods

I have a nice '55 Johnson 25 big twin I recently revamped and I have a 1436 tin.
I wouldn't mind putting that big thing on my boat, but I am concerned about how deep in the water the butt end of the boat (nautical jargon) would be with that size engine (it already sits pretty low with me and a 10hp - short sides).

How can a person put that much more weight on the boat? Tell me or steer me to more info about these pod things.

25hp, with pods shouldnt be a problem. but if you get stopped you will get burned bad by fish and game, USCG or DNR. if you watch the alligator hunting show you will see some very overloaded and over powered boats.......

lets just say i would do it and stick a 15hp sticker on it....... :) if you are worried bring it up my way and i will make the maiden voyage for you.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333198#p333198 said:
lovedr79 » Today, 15:41[/url]"]lets just say i would do it and stick a 15hp sticker on it....... :) if you are worried bring it up my way and i will make the maiden voyage for you.

the motor will be painted so there will be no 25hp decals displayed... they could look at the model # if they wanted to but i seriously doubt they would do that on the rivers i fish (but i may be wrong)

I’ve been boating for the better part of 40 years, and all though I’ve been stopped and even boarded a few times, they always just asked for registrations, safety equipment, check my catch etc, I’ve never once had them check or even ask how much HP my motor/motors were. I don’t know maybe it’s deferent in other states.

Here in Florida they can be pricks and bust your balls pretty good. I just can’t imagine it’s something they really look for. I mean I really don’t see that being on the forefront of their thoughts. Again I don’t know maybe it’s different in your state.

“Hey Bubba look at that Jon boat over dare, looks like he’s movin purdy good. I’ll bet that some beach has a motor that 8 to 10 HP over what that boats is rated fer. Let’s go get his ace”................................... :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333225#p333225 said:
Country Dave » 8 minutes ago[/url]"]I’ve been boating for the better part of 40 years, and all though I’ve been stopped and even boarded a few times, they always just asked for registrations, safety equipment, check my catch etc, I’ve never once had them check or even ask how much HP my motor/motors were. I don’t know maybe it’s deferent in other states.

Here in Florida they can be pricks and bust your balls pretty good. I just can’t imagine it’s something they really look for. I mean I really don’t see that being on the forefront of their thoughts. Again I don’t know maybe it’s different in your state.

“Hey Bubba look at that Jon boat over dare, looks like he’s movin purdy good. I’ll bet that some beach has a motor that 8 to 10 HP over what that boats is rated fer. Let’s go get his ace”................................... :LOL2:

LOL, Country Dave! I've been boating 30 years, and I've never had DNR or even the Coast Guard look at the rating plate on my boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333197#p333197 said:
lovedr79 » Today, 15:38[/url]"]25hp, with pods shouldnt be a problem. but if you get stopped you will get burned bad by fish and game, USCG or DNR. if you watch the alligator hunting show you will see some very overloaded and over powered boats.......

i have never had them check my rating plate either.... so what's everyone talking about getting burned bad if i get stopped? if they dont even look at the rating plates?