is a 25hp 2stroke too much for a 1236 w/ pods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
I want your honest opinion. I have a 1236 alumacraft w/ pods and a 15hp evinrude and it gets 22mph. I like to fish places that are 20 miles away from the boat ramp and it takes a long time to get there with this setup. I was thinking about repowering with a 25hp Johnson or evinrude to to get there a little quicker, especially with two ppl in the boat. Do u think this is a good idea? I don't have to run at WOT and I believe I will actually save some fuel by running the 25hp at 1/2 throttle vs. running the 15hp at WOT all the time... what do u guys think?

I think it sound fun but not sure how safe. :LOL2: I am sure the safety police on here will chime in soon. I had a 25 hp merc on my old 14 footer so I say go for it but be carefull if you do it. I am also sure the boat aint rated for a 25 so you have that issue too.

Its rated for a 15hp but I added the pods so I'm thinking it should be rated for more. Every boat I have seen with pods on it has been rated for more horsepower than the same boat without pods

We had a 12 foot boat that was rated for a 6HP, running a 15HP. At high speed, it would get squirelly, real quick.

Be careful, make sure to always wear your kill switch. Exceeding the HP rating is not only dangerous, but if the Coast Guard or DNR stops you, it may result in a ticket.

Ill be the one to say it sounds dangerously stupid. Its not only the HP but the weight. Your pods don't displace enough to make up for a motor, driver, battery, and fishing gear. Buy a bigger boat, fish closer, or be happy with what you've goy

another point i would like to bring to the table: the 20, 25, & 30hp johnson/evinrude weigh the exact same so i am choosing the 25hp merely for parts availability and prevalence on craigslist.

Make sure your transom is strong enough & go for it.I have a 1240v & have run a 25hp Merc forever & sometimes I throw my 40hp on.My 25hp gets me 32mph & my 40hp a little over 40mph.Like others said it gets squirley but is sure fun.

Here's an instance where a 25 HP is a bit much for the hull.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuWUDfWlbY

It's a seadoo hull rigged with a 25 outboard. Guy says it will run 59 MPH. Looks like fun, but he needs trim tabs LOL

The pods will probably more than make up for the weight difference but as already mentioned, you need to do something to make sure the transom will stand up to the extra forces applied to it from the extra horsepower. And I don't know how your rivers are, but around here we have to be careful of the constant floating limbs, logs, and all manner of floating debris. I'd be afraid to run very fast in one of the rivers around here just from the fear of what you might hit.

I ran a 25 Johnson on a 1437 Grumman for years. No problems here. As for the HP ratings, that is the hull manufacturers covering their collective arses. If you go over the limit that is stated, they feel "they told you so", so no lawsuits, please.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333134#p333134 said:
New River Rat » Today, 07:06[/url]"]I ran a 25 Johnson on a 1437 Grumman for years. No problems here. As for the HP ratings, that is the hull manufacturers covering their collective arses. If you go over the limit that is stated, they feel "they told you so", so no lawsuits, please.

U make a valid point. It only makes sense to under estimate the hulls ability for safety reasons.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333105#p333105 said:
JMichael » Yesterday, 11:31[/url]"]The pods will probably more than make up for the weight difference but as already mentioned, you need to do something to make sure the transom will stand up to the extra forces applied to it from the extra horsepower. And I don't know how your rivers are, but around here we have to be careful of the constant floating limbs, logs, and all manner of floating debris. I'd be afraid to run very fast in one of the rivers around here just from the fear of what you might hit.

Mike, u also make a great point but wouldn't the pods reinforce the transom slightly? They are bolted on with 5 3/8" lag bolts with huge fender washers to spread out the stress

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333134#p333134 said:
New River Rat » Today, 07:06[/url]"]I ran a 25 Johnson on a 1437 Grumman for years. No problems here. As for the HP ratings, that is the hull manufacturers covering their collective arses. If you go over the limit that is stated, they feel "they told you so", so no lawsuits, please.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Also, they factor in the weight of the engine, as well as its torque on the transom to come up with these ratings.

In some cases, having too much HP for the boat may keep a thief from stealing it, or, if they do, they might bring it back! I know that was the case with that little 12 ft boat we had with the 15 on it. My girlfriend had it tied up behind the restaurant, and one morning she went down there, to see the boat about calf-deep in water, with mud and blood everywhere. Looked like a murder scene. She reported it to the sheriff's office, just as a matter of procedure. No need to lock up that criminal, they got their instant karma when they stole the boat, apparently!

My guess is that some drunk stole the boat to go for a joyride, and 1 of 3 things happened.

1. They hit one of those oyster beds out on the flats, and got pitched out and sliced up.

2. They hit the throttle and it got squirrelly and they got pitched out and sliced up on an oyster bed.

3. They dropped their beer, or their crack rock, while running underway, and let go of the tiller handle for just a second, and it locked to the corner and pitched them out, and once again, they got introduced to an oyster bed.

In any case, I call that instant karma, and fitting punishment. Just too bad the prop didn't grind them into crab bait. Nothing worse than a POS thief. Anyhow, they got it handed to them so badly, they returned the stolen property, and hopefully learned a lesson about being a thief, but probably only until their next alcohol or drug binder.

I had a 25HP on my 1442 without and issues,

It may be a little overkill but as long as the boat perform well and its not unsafe go for it. I think the pods will really help.
I don't like under powered boats, they are unsafe.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333150#p333150 said:
Country Dave » 32 minutes ago[/url]"]I had a 25HP on my 1442 without and issues,

It may be a little overkill but as long as the boat perform well and its not unsafe go for it. I think the pods will really help.
I don't like under powered boats, they are unsafe.

I agree with Dave. Slow boats are no fun and a hazard to other boaters