It's killing me!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish it was just the caffeine that I was addicted to. I've been very successful in drinking the caffeine free for some time now. I just drink WAY too much of it. So....it's a "drinking problem" that I have, and I don't mean alcohol. I guess though...when put into perspective like nathanielrthomas did for me.....it could be a lot worse.

nathanielrthomas....glad you are on the straight and narrow. I have a few friends that share shoes with you. I admire them for their strength!

Chris, since my wife was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a few months ago, she only drinks Crystal Light now. It comes in all sorts of flavors it seems. I have pretty much given-up any type of soft drink, except for an occasional Pepsi and Jim Beam. My downfall is sweet tea, coffee, and cigarettes. I drink way too much coffee and tea, and definitely need to quit smoking. The only place I seem to gain weight is my gut, which really looks weird on a skinny guy like me, but as soon as I gave up the sodas, the gut went away.

I had a problem with Coke and MTN DEW.After a checkup,on the advice from the Dr I quit soda completely in Jan. I started drinking more H2O and seltzer water(no sodium and no aspartame)In one month I lost 15LBS with out changing anything else.I'm glad to see I wasn't the only addict and now I don't even miss it.
Mike

I developed a pretty serious Mt. Dew addiction this past summer. Since then, its only gotten worse because of school. I can't even begin to function in the morning without it.

Funny thing is, any time I'm in an engineering lab, theres Mt. Dew bottles as far as the eye can see. Its the only thing getting us though this crap!

I'm going to try to cut back this summer. One in the morning before my calc 2 class (and calc 3 the second half of the summer :shock: ) and that'll be it. I'm sure my body could use a break, as I've started to put on some weight. Not an invincible teenager anymore :roll:

Waterwings said:
Chris, since my wife was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a few months ago, she only drinks Crystal Light now. It comes in all sorts of flavors it seems. I have pretty much given-up any type of soft drink, except for an occasional Pepsi and Jim Beam. My downfall is sweet tea, coffee, and cigarettes. I drink way too much coffee and tea, and definitely need to quit smoking. The only place I seem to gain weight is my gut, which really looks weird on a skinny guy like me, but as soon as I gave up the sodas, the gut went away.

I lost 10 pounds quickly after quitting sodas. All in the gut too.

Hang in there my friend.. baby steps... like everyone is saying here, don't try and lick it all at once...It is also mind over matter...Like I have given up watermelon and though it is a strugle I am coping.
peace
ron

For me, after drinking a gallon of Mt Dew almost every day for around 10 years, when I started having major dental problems (still have around $5-10,000 worth of work to do), I had to stop. Now I have a carbonated soda maybe once every 2-3 months. The rest of the time it is sweet tea, coffee and/or water.

When I was working long hours in IT, I got hooked on the "Dew". The caffeine and sugar really gave me a buzz with 6-8 a day monkey on my back. I kicked that and started drinking a cup of coffee with my wife in the morning and now I'm up to 3-4 cups of her "*** kicker" coffee. #-o Then I switch to water. You'll get headaches if you don't taper off slowly. Good Luck!

I, too, am somewhat in the same boat.

Ive always been hooked on pepsi, often drinking a 2L bottle or more a day. A few months ago, I had a weight scare and needed to drop some serious weight. I quit cold turkey and subbed my soda for lots of water and Simply Orange/Pineapple.... it is absolutly delicious and helped my cravings.... In 3 months, I lost 50 pounds.... still not where I want to be, and I have gone back to drinking soda, but in moderation... maybe a can or 2 a day....

The sooner you quit the better. Soft drinks contain phosphoric acid, which has been linked to lowered calcium and bone density loss.

I moved from soda to Lipton diet green tea. Not sure it's any better for me.....but it sounds like it's better. :LOL2:

Update:
With the Crystal Light....I'm down to 1 soda a day. That's before I even leave the house and a treat, not a necessity. I wonder if 3+ liters of Crystal Light are bad for me now. :mrgreen:

fender66 said:
Update:
With the Crystal Light....I'm down to 1 soda a day. That's before I even leave the house and a treat, not a necessity. I wonder if 3+ liters of Crystal Light are bad for me now. :mrgreen:

The way it works is they tell you it is good for you, and then ten years down the road they tell you they were wrong and it is bad for you. It is awful hard to figure it out with the way they keep changing their stories.

During the Summer, I mix up a batch of Crystal Lite ( or the local store's own brand at half price). I keep the pitcher in the frig and drink away. Amazing... how much of that stuff I can down, but,...I figure it is helping with the suggestion, for weigh loss, that one drinks 8 glasses of water a day. Hope it works as well for you. rich

I drank 8-12, 16 oz. Cokes a day for over 35 years. My smile today is like the one in my avatar and I'll never write my name in the snow again, due to prostate issues. Both results of that habit.

I made up my mind to stop about 8 years ago and went cold-turkey to Poland Spring bottled water. Kept one with me day and night and probably drank about 20 bottles a day. I suppose all that water flushed my system pretty well, because I didn't really have any withdrawl or cravings. I drank water like that for almost 3 years and now drink what I want, when I want, but don't ever even want a coke. Mind over matter.... you don't mind, it don't matter.

Good luck, however you go at it. 8)

Latest posts