Johnson 15hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutnstrut

Reaction score
I am having problems with my 80's model johnson 15hp tiller. I think it needs a fuel pump. Where would be the cheapest place to get one, or does it come in a kit to rebuild.

YOU CAN GO TO NAPA AUTO PARTS STORE THEY CAN ORDER YOU ONE OR BUY ON LINE IF YOU POST A PIC OF IT I WILL TELL YOU THE NUMBER I GOT THE MARINE PARTS BOOK HERE AT HOME OR I CAN POST AT WORK

Before you spend your money on a new pump,this may help you.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

IF IT LOOKS LIKE CRAZYMAN PIC THE PUMP IS 18-7350 OR THE KIT IS A 18-7823 THE PUMP COST 66.99 OR THE KIT IS 12.99 THE PUMP IS HIGH I THINK THE KIT PRICE IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOUR PUMP IS GOOD BE CAREFULL IF YOU TRY THIS IT HAS VERY SMALL SPRING THAT WILL FLY OUT WHEN YOU TAKE IT APART [-X

They might tell you that the pump can not be rebuilt but it can.I have done a few for friends.Just be carefull in taking apart & how the different pieces are orientated in relation to each other.Turn 1 piece & it will not work.

Thanks guys very good info. When i purchased the motor the seller started the motor and let it run. After demo, the seller removed the fuel line and let the motor run out of fuel. Due you think this might have caused the problem, possibly sticking something in the fuel pump or carb. The seller said the tank and hose were brand new. After inspection it does appear new. With a new tank and hose have you heard of many problems,the tank is 6 gallons, somebody said they switched to a 3 gallon and the problem stopped. No sure what it has to do with size of tanks.

When the motor kills see if the primer bulb is hard or you have to pump it a few times before its hard.Running the motor out of fuel has nothing to do with the fuel pump going bad.On my boat I have a long fuel line.(10 feet)If I run it out of fuel you have to make sure you have ALL the air out of the line or it could act like a bad fuel pump because of the air in the line.Hope this gives you some direction.

Also, make sure that the vent is open on that new fuel tank.

I found out the hard way that new fuel tanks have a vent that has to be opened in order for fuel to flow to the engine. :oops: Good news is that I wasn't the first person in the world to make this mistake and I assuredly won't be the last. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• fuel_tank.jpg
    fuel_tank.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 670
The vent on the tank was open, i even loosened the cap to make sure . Still acted as though it was starving for fuel.

rutnstrut said:
The vent on the tank was open, i even loosened the cap to make sure . Still acted as though it was starving for fuel.

Good deal. Sorry if that seemed elementary, but sometimes it's best to start with the simple things. Is the gas fresh? Are the plugs fouled? Is the choke set correctly?
Not saying you don't need a fuel pump, but just checking the easy stuff.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Latest posts