Jon boat box / weight distribution

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfisher14

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. I got King Fisher 14ft Jon boat with a 6hp Evinrude. The boat seems super light duty so I want to be careful what I do because I don't want to break it in half :lol: . I use the boat for hunting and fishing. I'm in the process of camo painting it and simultaneously considering a mod.

The issue I face is that the boat doesn't plane well when I am by myself. Although from experience I noticed it planes perfectly with my 45lbs bird dog on the front, literally I think it goes twice as fast (which is probably all of 7mph :shock: ). Since this Is a big difference for getting to where im going on the water I would put a 40lbs bag of salt on the bow when I am going to the blind myself(which can be annoying because it slides off). Also the boat rides great with one extra passenger on the middle bench (no dog). The boat has 2 bench seats and half bench on the bow. The benches are set a bit strange with the first beginning a foot from the transom and then the second not until like 5-6th further to the front!, then the little guy only 3-4ft further up on the bow. Sorry about all this background.

So now to the potential solution (open for other suggestions). I'm considering building a moveable boat box that would (some how) lock onto the back of the bow bench or the back of the middle bench depending on whether I have guests. For one I would like a box to keep all the smaller gear I bring to where im going and two I think it would help with weight distribution issue. For example if im going hunting by myself I'd clip her into the front position and weight it down with my gear (maybe a few weights as well). If were riding two I'd pop it into the middle position.

I'd like the box span the width of the boat (front is slightly narrower than middle) and also go as close t o the floor as possible while being flush with each of the seats. The bow bench is 7.5" to highest point of floor and the middle bench is almost 8", close but not exact unfortunately. The middle bench is solid to the floor where the front is hollow underneath.

Has anyone seen something like this or have done it? Does it even seem feasible?

Thanks!

Correction I have 14ft "Game Fisher" (Sears Jon boat). Not "King Fisher", LOL maybe I should change my user name....

kingfisher14 said:
Hello,

This is my first post. I got King Fisher 14ft Jon boat with a 6hp Evinrude. The boat seems super light duty so I want to be careful what I do because I don't want to break it in half :lol: . I use the boat for hunting and fishing. I'm in the process of camo painting it and simultaneously considering a mod.

The issue I face is that the boat doesn't plane well when I am by myself. Although from experience I noticed it planes perfectly with my 45lbs bird dog on the front, literally I think it goes twice as fast (which is probably all of 7mph :shock: ). Since this Is a big difference for getting to where im going on the water I would put a 40lbs bag of salt on the bow when I am going to the blind myself(which can be annoying because it slides off). Also the boat rides great with one extra passenger on the middle bench (no dog). The boat has 2 bench seats and half bench on the bow. The benches are set a bit strange with the first beginning a foot from the transom and then the second not until like 5-6th further to the front!, then the little guy only 3-4ft further up on the bow. Sorry about all this background.

So now to the potential solution (open for other suggestions). I'm considering building a moveable boat box that would (some how) lock onto the back of the bow bench or the back of the middle bench depending on whether I have guests. For one I would like a box to keep all the smaller gear I bring to where im going and two I think it would help with weight distribution issue. For example if im going hunting by myself I'd clip her into the front position and weight it down with my gear (maybe a few weights as well). If were riding two I'd pop it into the middle position.

I'd like the box span the width of the boat (front is slightly narrower than middle) and also go as close t o the floor as possible while being flush with each of the seats. The bow bench is 7.5" to highest point of floor and the middle bench is almost 8", close but not exact unfortunately. The middle bench is solid to the floor where the front is hollow underneath.

Has anyone seen something like this or have done it? Does it even seem feasible?

Thanks!