Lake Vermilion, Minnesota

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
If you've read any of my other trip reports, you know I like to take some buddies and a few tin boats to remote lakes to fish for bass, pike, and walleye. It all started when I was young and my grandfather would take my brother, cousin, and me up to Canada in a beat up old motorhome pulling a couple leaky v-hulls stacked on top of each other.

Those trips kind of faded away during and right after college, but in 2003 we decided to head north again. By this time my grandfather had upgraded to the gem of a motorhome you'll see in the pictures, and a pair of equally matched boats.

We chose Lake Vermilion because it was supposed to be a great walleye lake. Long story short, we fished for five full days and caught next to nothing. A few eyes, some ok pike, and some smallies. The weather was calm, sunny, and HOT. The lake and campground were very nice, but the fishing ...... well, it sucked! Here are some pics anyway.

At lease the scenery was nice
110-1005_IMG.JPG

Our trusty boats. A 16' BassTracker mod-V with a 50 Johnson and a 12' shallow-v Sea Nymph with an 8hp Merc. The Merc ran well, but the Sea Nymph leaked. The BassTracker didn't leak, but the Johnson ran like crap.
133-3390_IMG.JPG

We ran all over the giant lake in this little tin can .... got a lot of looks from guys in fancy walleye boats.
100-0075_IMG.JPG

Hey, stretch it and see if its legal .... might be that's all we catch today.
100-0027_IMG.JPG

That's more like it!
100-0036_IMG.JPG

My brother loves spinnerbaits for greenies.
133-3391_IMG.JPG

Towing the floating turd back to the docks .... again.
100-0022_IMG.JPG

Grandpa telling a funny story about milking cows.
100-0017_IMG.JPG

Hey Grandpa, are you sure the sewage tank in this motorhome doesn't leak ....uh, we better get out of here.
133-3400_IMG.JPG

Broken down on the side of the highway. Something wrong in the front end.
101-0108_IMG.JPG

Uh, that's not good.
101-0105_IMG.JPG

On the road again .... sort of.
101-0122_IMG.JPG