Loading the boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrGiggles said:
I back in further to unload, than I do to load. I undo the winch while taking straps off and stuff, and have a carabiner on my dock line, which I coil loosely on the front deck and clip into the rear stake pocket on my truck. I have carpeted bunks, no worries of the boat sliding off before it hits the water. Just back in, nudge the brakes, boat floats right off, hop out and grab the rope, tie off. Takes 30 seconds to solo launch that way.

I don't back in as far while loading, you need the bunks and rollers to be in contact with the hull strakes for alignment. My trailer also has short side bunks, if I back in too far, I have hung the side of the boat on them before.

The angle of the ramp affects how far, but normally when unloading I like to have the fenders an inch or two underwater, and sticking out of the water about the same amount while loading.

What you describe is almost identical to what I do. Deeper launching and shallower when retrieving the boat. And yep, keep the side bunks well above water. Only differences are I don't undo the winch until the rear of the boat is over water. And, I usually hold the bow line through the driver's window. Otherwise, pretty much the same. Maybe a minute and I'm outta there.

Every boat is different! My Sylvan is very deep and my bunks have to be fully submerged to load or the power winch, a 2500lb winch, will complain a whole lot. It's a heavy, deep sumbeech. I have bunk slicks too, but it still struggles to pull to the bow roller. But my little Starcraft, the bunks only need to be half in the water and I can almost pull it up to where it needs to sit.

Latest posts