Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve!

Well Sir, yes a snag. It is August in East Texas! Man is it HOT! I tried sanding inside down under the bow one day last week, about 8:00 am. I think that shiny aluminum on the top made it about 400 degrees under that bow. And I was in the shade. :!: Believe me, I was roasting.

I've ordered a couple of parts for her that are here (anchor light cover lens, stainless slot screws). Have not put any other parts back on her yet, including the transom. But I'll get there.

Thanks for asking. :) I'll post a few pics later on.

TexasLoneStar
I've seen Your posts on the motor board, sounds like it's coming along good, but how's the boat coming?
Love those old LoneStars!

Steve A W

Steve A W said:
TexasLoneStar
I've seen Your posts on the motor board, sounds like it's coming along good, but how's the boat coming?
Love those old LoneStars!

Steve A W

Hey Steve,

To tell you the truth, I got bored with it. :oops: It was so hot, so I started on the motor (in the shop with doors open and a fan blowing). Now, it is so cold here, as is everywhere else, and you know the rest of the story. I will let the holidays go by before I start on her again.

Spring always puts a bounce in my step, and I have a personal goal of having her put back together with her motor by spring (March).

Thanks for asking. You are encouraging me to. Thanks! :)

I haven't posted to this thread in several months. The Old Lone Star Fixty-Six is still waiting for me to get back on her. I've done a little work throughout the winter, but not much. I'm ready for spring and warmer weather.

I have worked on the motor through the winter. Took it down and back up. It's almost ready to fire. As soon as we get to the 60's, I'll have that spring back in my step and get her fired up.

I'm sure everyone else is ready for some warmer weather as well.

I will post pics soon.

Tyler, Texas

Steve A W said:
=D>

I've been waiting for the updates to start.

Steve A W

LOL! I figured you were! Man, this sleet and snow down here has been awful. I know we don't hold a candle to y'all, but we are not use to it in E TX. Having grown up in the Panhandle of Texas where it does sleet and snow, you'd think we wouldn't mind. Well sir, we do mind.....we moved 500 miles from there over 28 years ago, on purpose, to a warmer climate. Come on Spring and Summer! 8)

Keith
Did You receive My p/m?
I'm not sure if I sent it right or not.
I'm a better wrench bender than computer pilot. #-o

Steve A W

Started on her again. I just had to get up a head of steam and warmer weather. Did a little sanding on the inside yesterday. Still more to do before I can prime. The transom, yeah, I'm getting to that. :?

Attachments

• LS4.2.2015D.jpg
    LS4.2.2015D.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,323
  • LS4.2.2015F.jpg
    LS4.2.2015F.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,323
  • LS4.2.2015E.jpg
    LS4.2.2015E.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,323
  • LS4.2.2015A.jpg
    LS4.2.2015A.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,323
  • LS4.2.2015C.jpg
    LS4.2.2015C.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,323
  • LS4.2.2015B.jpg
    LS4.2.2015B.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,323
I was going strong on the sander up in the bow, until a red wasp got after me. :shock: I cleared the front compartment in one leap, hopped the back seats and made it to the back. Home Free! WRONG! I forgot I had the boat pulled back on the trailer. All in one-slow motion, I rode it the the ground, hanging on the sides for dear life. :shock: :shock: Tongue in the air, and me on the back. Well, lets just say, I sure am glad I have long legs because there was nothing else to do but step out over the transom, slowly, and let the tongue back down. whew.......

Did anyone see me? Yes! My neighbor came to help, but was laughing so hard he wasn't able to help.

The Good News:
Didn't get stung and found out I can still move pretty fast for an old gal.

The Bad News:
I still had to get back in there and get that nest out. I did! (when I saw the wasp fly out.) 8)

She looks good.
I'm about to get my '68 Starcraft Falcon out of the garage and finish stripping the paint.

huntinfool said:
I'll be looking.

Give me your input on the transom. I really don't want to drill out the side rivets and replace. I want to make it out of oak. Our good friend builds custom cabinets and has given me the choice of what kind of wood I want. I prefer oak. His wood is custom cut at a saw mill and has true measurements.

I saw a thread where a guy took two pieces of slab wood and made them fit. One was cut on one end, so as to slide it in. The other was cut on the apposite end and slid in place. He used wood glue and clamped. Then, he had the transom plate made out of diamond plate and bolted it on the outside, with it lapping over to the inside. Was a really pretty finish. I want to try that, but not sure of the strength. I'll have to ask about calculations before I do that.

Years ago, we restored the interior seats on a little old 16' fiberglass walk thru ski boat. At that time, we had access to FRP wall out of wrecked Ryder trucks. I wonder to this day if the seats we redid with that FRP are still good. I bet they are!

Let me know what you think.

Any other comments are welcome.

Well, its a lot to type on this phone.....but I'll give it a go.
If it were my boat, I'd make it out of aluminum tubing.
The tubing is light weight and won't rot. One of the biggest problems in boats is water intrusion and rot. This will be an alternative that will last a lifetime.
My next choice would be my home made solid poured fiberglass transoms. They will last a lifetime also, but are a little bit heavy.
My next choice would be a wood transom made from plywood and fiberglassed over. This would last a long time.
Solid wood is normally not near as strong as plywood. However a solid piece of oak is very tough to beat.
Everyone has their own opinions. I'm not saying I know it all, but I did have my own business rebuilding boats and transoms. I have probably done over 100 in all sorts of boats.
I did a tutorial on here about pouring a solid transom for a tin boat.

Michelle
I'm sorry but this made Me laugh :lol: :lol:
I'm glad Your ok.
On the transom, Ask Your wood supplier.
If He is a cabinet maker, He should be able to make a joint in the wood that will work.

Steve A W

TexasLoneStar56 said:
I was going strong on the sander up in the bow, until a red wasp got after me. :shock: I cleared the front compartment in one leap, hopped the back seats and made it to the back. Home Free! WRONG! I forgot I had the boat pulled back on the trailer. All in one-slow motion, I rode it the the ground, hanging on the sides for dear life. :shock: :shock: Tongue in the air, and me on the back. Well, lets just say, I sure am glad I have long legs because there was nothing else to do but step out over the transom, slowly, and let the tongue back down. whew.......

Did anyone see me? Yes! My neighbor came to help, but was laughing so hard he wasn't able to help.

The Good News:
Didn't get stung and found out I can still move pretty fast for an old gal.

The Bad News:
I still had to get back in there and get that nest out. I did! (when I saw the wasp fly out.) 8)