Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you remove the corner caps you should be able to install the new transom fairly easily.
Have you been on www.Iboats.com in the StarCraft owners forum? There's a lot of good info on replacing the transom in older aluminum runabouts.

I've seen some better pictures of the transom of a 56 clipper. It doesn't have corner caps like the StarCraft boats do. I would think drilling out the rivets holding the gunnels together and riveting the back together would be the best way.
Iboats has Lone star forum, it's less active than the StarCraft forum but if you posted some questions I'm sure you would get some helpful tips.

Mr. Steve,

Glad you enjoyed the humor in that little episode! My neighbor told everybody he could tell yesterday, still laughing. :LOL2:

David moved her back up on the trailer and secured the 4x4 tire blocks. I'm not sure he was worried about me, the boat or it crashing into the Harley barn. #-o Probably the Harley Barn! :lol:

M

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I've seen some better pictures of the transom of a 56 clipper. It doesn't have corner caps like the StarCraft boats do. I would think drilling out the rivets holding the gunnels together and riveting the back together would be the best way.
Iboats has Lone star forum, it's less active than the StarCraft forum but if you posted some questions I'm sure you would get some helpful tips.

Thank you for your input. I will look on that forum as well. I do prefer this forum, and it is the only one I am a member of, but I have read many, many other forums in research and advice. I want to learn and appreciate so very much, others sharing with me.

I am not educated on the Starcraft, so I cannot answer with an intelligent answer.

Where are the better pics located? Is it a transom rebuild? Please share.

Drilling the rivets is what I am trying to avoid, but I do know that it would be the best way. You are right. :)

Having been married for 100 years to a major wreck body tech on semi's has it's privileges of knowledge in working with aluminum, a hands on coach and his tools. BUT, I'd really like to leave all the original rivets in place, as they do not leak and are sturdy. (I don't like to buck rivets ....I get put on the inside holding the steel. :x; but I can do it.)

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge. I truly appreciate it! :)

Michelle
Tyler, Texas

Wood calculations:

I had the privileged of working for a Structural Engineer in Dallas, years ago, to which I still stay in contact with. I asked if he will please figure the calcs for me, as I cannot remember things like I use to. :shock:

In the mean time, I drew up a sketch as to what I am trying to do. Not sure if it will work or not. I may just have to take a step backwards and start drilling out those rivets on the Z-Bar and side flanges. Seems like an easier approach compared to drilling out the top ones.

The original wood in all of her was Mahogany. Can't do that....$$$$ WOW!

M

Attachments

• Transom Sketch.jpg
    Transom Sketch.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,279
The pictures are on Iboats in the Lone Star owners forum. Before you start do some reading there are only 4 pages of post, I don't know if any are transom replacements but I imagine some will be.

Perhaps these will give a better idea of what the transom looks like. The top piece and corners are all one piece. I believe I counted 7 rivets on each side that would have to to drilled out to let the Z-Bar come out. It is bolted in from the back, so that's no problem. I had the bolts/nuts out, then put them back in last summer just so we could see her on the water.

Raining right now, but I will get down there later today and take a couple of pics from outside and the inside of her current state.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I truly, truly appreciate you! The only way I can learn is to ask questions, and believe me, I am more than willing and eager to learn. This is my project, and even with a hands on coach, he does let me do my own thing and only interferes if he sees I'm doing wrong or knows there is an easier way, or hands me a tool specifically for that application. He reads some of the replies you guys have helped me with and usually tells me, "they are telling you right Michelle". :wink: THANK YOU!

And, YES, he does tell me quite often that she is "My Money Pit". Oh well, I can't take it with me and I'm having a blast getting her back on the water, where she belongs.

M

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The pictures are on Iboats in the Lone Star owners forum. Before you start do some reading there are only 4 pages of post, I don't know if any are transom replacements but I imagine some will be.

Ok! Thank you! I am aware that the Clippers were only made in 1956. Perhaps that's why there is so little information on them.

Also, I wanted to tell you, I made a mistake about the Starcraft post earlier. Sorry about that. I forgot our 22' barge is a Starcraft. :roll: So, I do have a little knowledge, but only on our barge. Way different than fishing boat.

Thank you again for the info!
M

Huntinfool,

Funny you mentioned fiberglass! hhmmmm......I've been told that. :wink:

Fiberglass I won't do. I know how hard it is to get those mixes just right, and, how hot it can get in a hurry if it kicks off too fast. A fiberglass girl, I am not. I'll leave that to you and David. :lol: A good glass man has a talent all his own. =D>

I do wish I had some FRP wall though. It was my first thought in replacing the transom. :idea:

I'm going to look up your threads on the fiberglass. Thanks for all you do and and the encouragement you give.

M

As I was looking back at the beginning of this thread, I noticed I had not updated the info on her motor.

What I thought was a 1955 Mercury Mark 55E, is not. It is a 1960 Mercury 400E, in a Mark 55E case. That thread is in the motor section under 1960 Mercury 400E Restore.

Just wanted to update that info.

The only downfall to the poured transom is you will need the caps off so you can slide the transom in. I make mine outside the boat and then fit them to the boat. My mix is fool proof.......I mean I've been using it for years!
[emoji13]

huntinfool said:
The only downfall to the poured transom is you will need the caps off so you can slide the transom in. I make mine outside the boat and then fit them to the boat. My mix is fool proof.......I mean I've been using it for years!
[emoji13]

LOL! I bet you can mix resin and hardener in your sleep!

David looked at the back with me yesterday. He agrees in that, I'm going to have to go at it from the sides. That top cap is all in one piece. And, yes, there are 7 rivets (vertical) on each side that I am going to have to drill out, plus 2 running horizontal. Then, there are 4 on the back that will have to be drill as well. :x

I spent several hours Sunday afternoon reading your previous posts, and reading posts on the iboats site. As much time and effort as I have, and am, putting into this whole project, I must do the transom right. I MUST.

I got calcs back from the engineer. He told me in no uncertain circumstances should I have ever even considered piecing the transom. [-X He said the dead load was no problem, but the live load would be. I kinda figured that. He also stated that if I wanted to use oak I could, and seal it, but I really needed to consider the plywood (X). I'll take that advice, along with what you guys have told me. Thank You!

Looks like I'll be doing some drilling today.
Have a good one!
M

Just for grins;

Our little 4 year old grandson thinks this is HIS old boat and motor. (it will be) After getting the motor started on Saturday, he informed me yesterday, "Nana, you need to hurry up and get our old boat fixed so we can go play on the big water :!: " The "big water", meaning, the middle of the lake, as we live in a cove. Out of the mouths of babes. :D Gotta love 'em.

This pic was taken last summer when we put her in the water for the first time in 30 years. I suppose he is the captain of this ship. What a blessing! [-o<

Attachments

• SAM_1177.JPG
    SAM_1177.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,785
Nice thread. Michelle, I'm working on a 1963 Lone Start V-hull myself! Almost done. New transom, about 40 new rivets, and one coat of paint thus far. Second coat this next weekend!

CMOS

CMOS said:
Nice thread. Michelle, I'm working on a 1963 Lone Start V-hull myself! Almost done. New transom, about 40 new rivets, and one coat of paint thus far. Second coat this next weekend!

CMOS

Thank you Sir! Please do let us know where we can find your thread. I'm anxious to see your boat and your progress! :D SE TX.....Beaumont?

Michelle
Tyler, Texas

Ok fellas......spent part of the day drilling rivets. David took a peak, but left me alone. 8)

I do have the Z-Bar out. I "borrowed" some of David's body tools; small ball ping and steel. Got the transom and sides straightened out from the rivets. I do not normally use a circular motion when cleaning on her with a brass brush, but what the heck....it's behind the transom. I love music, all kinds, so I put on something with a strong rhythm to keep time with. ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd helped me out today. 8)

The rest of the day, well, I just had to get in the sun and the lake. Good for the soul! [-o<

A few pics of before and after......bring on the comments.

M
Tyler, Texas

IMG_20150407_122149.jpgIMG_20150407_135224.jpgIMG_20150407_161423.jpg

Today, I sanded the transom and back compartment with 400 grit on a palm sander. Decided to go ahead and primer the back part. Washed it with water, and then hit it with Mineral Spirits on a rag. Blocked it and rattle canned with Ultra flat grey primer. Don't laugh too hard. A painter, I am not. It appears the aluminum has wrinkles on the left, but it is only shadows.

I am not trying to make this a show boat. I just want to get her going on the water again and have fun with her. :D
LS 4.8.2015B.jpgLS 4.8.2015D.jpgLS 4.8.2015E.jpg

Latest posts