Looking for a replacement stop - kill switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZGDOGG

Reaction score
Thank you in advance, these forums are a great resource with all of the knowledgeable folks on here.
Okay, I am looking for a source for a replacement stop and emergency kill switch. That is a single switch that does both, it has the appearance and operation of a emergency kill switch with the tether or lanyard and also functions as an engine stop switch by simply pushing the button down without removing the lanyard clip from the switch. I have seen them on an engine but cannot remember the make or model. Maybe someone knows of a switch like this in the aftermarket parts world? I would like to source them for retrofitting some of my older tiller motors.
Thank you again.

I added a link to a cheap kill switch from Amazon as well as an OEM Yamaha one that goes on the 25hp models. Really big price difference. I'd go with the cheap ones unless you can find another OEM one for cheaper that you may want to use.

I also included Amazon links to the lanyards I prefer. I like these wrist straps myself as they are very secure and comfortable compared to having to clip it to a lifejacket.

6E9-82575-02-00 Engine Stop Switch Assembly - Yamaha Motors | Crowley Marine

https://www.amazon.com/SEACHOICE-11...&sprefix=outboard+kill+switch+,aps,123&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Lanya...-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lanyards-Flo...25&sprefix=kill+switch+lanyar,aps,132&sr=8-23

wmk0002,
Thank you for the links, appreciate that but as stated I cannot identify anything in the pictures or limited parts description that shows me what I am looking for. i.e. a switch that is the engine stop switch and the breakaway kill switch with lanyard.....the search continues.

kazzer,
Thanks much, don't want to have t come up with another way to mount the switch other than panel mounting. In other words, just want to find a suitable place on the lower cowling, drill a hole and install.

wmk0002,
Thank you for the links, appreciate that but as stated I cannot identify anything in the pictures or limited parts description that shows me what I am looking for. i.e. a switch that is the engine stop switch and the breakaway kill switch with lanyard.....the search continues.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, the SeaChoice switch he linked will do exactly what you describe. It is both a button kill and a tether. If you apply pressure with your finger on the red button, even with the tether still in place, the ground loop will close and kill the motor. It also will close the ground loop if the tether is removed completely. And it's a panel mount so you could cut a 7/8" hole in the cowl and mount it there. I have this exact switch on my Starcraft.

wmk0002,
It will do both. It was the standard style kill switch on a lot of the OMC and Yamaha motors in the late 70's and 80's before they started putting them on the tiller handles. You are also able to easily mount it on the boat itself if the motor is a permanent setup and you like the ergonomics better. It's pretty easy to customize the kill circuit on small outboards. You could even add a keyed switch if you were so inclined.

Out of curiosity, what motor are you working on?

Unless I am misunderstanding you, the SeaChoice switch he linked will do exactly what you describe. It is both a button kill and a tether. If you apply pressure with your finger on the red button, even with the tether still in place, the ground loop will close and kill the motor. It also will close the ground loop if the tether is removed completely. And it's a panel mount so you could cut a 7/8" hole in the cowl and mount it there. I have this exact switch on my Starcraft.
Jethro,
Thank you for this, this is what I was asking for....
I appreciate the information!

Jethro,
Thank you for this, this is what I was asking for....
I appreciate the information!
Nothing specific just yet but started refurbishing a wide variety of outboards, just believe it's a good idea for safety with the bonus of an easy to access stop switch. Oh, and a direct replacement for some.
Thank you again, was just looking for someone that knew for sure the dual mechanical shorting operation of a specific switch instead of buying something that I didn't want.