Lowe Boat Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris had time to do more work, none of the parts for this project
have been attached to the boat yet still sizing and fitting it all together.
New trolling motor mountmotor mount.jpg

Battery support deck in rear of boat, will hold 4 marine batteries.
battery deck.jpg

I got the call today that the boat is finished :D I am picking it up tommorrow and once home
I will post up the finished product. :D

Some of the bolts that were used are stainless steel everything else is aluminum. The prices for this project are listed thruout the previous pages. Thanks for looking.

So I take the 2.5 hr drive to pick the boat up, excited as all get out to finally see the finished project. Chris was waiting for by the boat and I jump out to check it out. Everything that is in the pics above is even better in person EXCEPT one minor error. HAHAHA I have to laugh because it was just plain out funny lookin when I noticed, the pedestal seat mounts were upside down. They are flush mount bases which have a 3in piece which the pedestal sits into. Instead of the 3in piece going thru the boat deck and seat Chris had mounted them with the piece facing into space. HAHAHA. We didn't have a hole saw big enough to make it right so we loaded the boat and I hit the road.Just to let you know Chris makes Custom Fishing Rod Racks and Sand Spikes.
If any one here ever needs some aluminum work done around the MD,VA, DEL, area he is your go to guy. A big shout out to Chris! :lol:

Well I had to buy the hole saw and drilled the holes today, mounted one of the bases and will mount the other tommorrow. I fried my drill which I think was on the out's anyway and had to borrow not only one but 2 others to finish the holes. This works out good for me because now I can honestly say I did some of the work that went into the project :wink: . I will post up the pics tommorrow with some of the detail.

I am also looking into finding some rubber mats to use instead of carpet, or paint. Cut one to fit the front deck and the other to fit the floor. Easy to clean, deadens the noise, no glue, roll them up and put them away. Now I just got to find them at a reasonable price.

Finished with the seat mounts, Here are some pics of the finished work. I have also decided to scuff up and put a coat of paint on the new aluminum ( Not yet done ) so as to take the glare off the deck and floor then get the rubber mats.
This the finished front motor mount
IMG_0846.JPG
Rear seat mount with pedestal
IMG_0848.JPG
Front seat mount with pedestal
IMG_0847.JPG
Inside shot of the new ribs with rivets, Chris used aluminum rivets and sealed them inside and out with windshield sealant
IMG_0852.JPG
Outside shot of rivets used for new ribs, used the same rivet holes that were holding the bench seat in place.
IMG_0855.JPG

This is an overall shot from rear of boat. Floor is 73 in. by 43 in. and the deck is 67 in by 56 in and tapers to the front. Gives me alot of storage space underneath.
IMG_0856.JPG
Here is pic of the surf rack that attaches to the front of my truck when I am fishing the beach.
Chris does excellent work and builds similiar racks to this one, exactly why I asked him to do the boat.
IMG_0845.JPG

The boat is not finished, a little paint, have to mount the rod holders, also going to get some mini quick clips and mount them to the side ribs to hold my rods when not in use. Yet to have it in the water so until then HAPPY FISHING TO ALL and good luck with all your MODS!

Had some time to put a good scuff with a wire wheel brush, washed it all down with soap and water. Let it dry and wiped it down with a cloth. Went to Advanced Auto and picked up 3 cans of od green self etching primer that happened to be on sale for 3.99 a can :D and did a little test run. Going to let it sit over night to see how it adheres then do the rest tommorrow. I have heard it is hard to get paint to adhere to bare aluminum so since I am out of $$$$$$$$$ trying the cheap way first, some of the self etch primers are 30-40$ a quart. Results with pics tommorrow.

IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG

The trial run last night turned out really well. Unfortunatly only did the battery shelf, today I am not so sure of. The primer didn't seem to have the same consistency and took many more coats.
Have to let it dry overnight and check it out.

After alot of thought I have decided to paint the boat. The boat is 20 yrs old and has had numerous wooden decks that have taken it's toll on the aluminum and paint. After close inspection
of the old paint I came to realize it's worse than expected. Some removal of loose paint revealed some pitting and dents I never knew existed. Most of this is in the bottom of boat and the underside has it share also.
Has anyone here tried the Permatex Rust treatment? It is supposed to remove the rust then lay down a coat of primer. This would be ideal for the places I can't reach with a wire brush since it comes in a spray can. Anyway i noticed all of this as I was trying to remove the carpet glue from the rear bench seat, what a pain in arse NEVER put glue down on your aluminum unless you intend to replace it with carpet again I had to wire brush this crap off and this was after using the normal shyte and letting it soak overnight still had to wire wheel most of it down to bare aluminum. Never again will I go back to carpet glued on the boat.

After pricing rolled rubber, rubber mats, rubber tiles I decided
that since I had to sand and prime the worn off paint anyway I would paint it and add some non-skid additive for the floor and decks. I also went with the Pettit paint and additive, Have not recieved it yet and it wouldn't make a difference anyway since I have to do it outside I have to wait on the temps to go up. This gives me time to prep the inside of the boat, hit the spring fishing then do the work. The hardest part is finding people to help me flip the boat over to get it on the saw horses. Good luck fishing in all your rigs this spring, once I get time to launch the boat I will post up a pick along with some of the other work I am doing, if you have any suggestions on what to use for those hard to reach places that need sanding and priming lets here about it .....................Thank's :D

After sanding, cleaning, then priming with self etch primer it was ready for a coat of Rustoleum aluminum primer. ( Was gonna use red oxide primer but found this which is specific for aluminum )

The weather here in MD has been quite wet so put this off till today, I could have been fishen but the boat has been good to me for 20 yrs and it needed alittle TLC!
The new floor is removed and will be a seperate paint job from the actual inside bottom and sides of boat.
rear view of 1st of 2 coats of this brush on primer

IMG_0883.JPG

front view of same

IMG_0882.JPG

Looks good man.. that boat is going to last another 20 years before you have to do it all over again. I say it's always best to do it right the first time... it definitely pays for itself.

Seeing that you did it all out of aluminum,I bet you will get more then 20 years out of her this time.
Looks great.