Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mirrorcraftrestore031.jpg

Now the fun begins, hope to have the entire hull stripped this weekend, or at least until the game starts.

Still sanding but I have most of the outside hull back to bare metal. Right now I have the boat upside down in the garage propped up on crab traps....I would like to know if there is an easy way move it in and out of the garage....roller stands? Anyone have a good way to move around by my self? I will post some more pics up this weekend.

I used a small dolly, and an old computer chair to move around on the concrete. Anything that rolls is a huge help by yourself

I'm origionally from st.Pete, can't beleave how much its changed in the last 10 years. I didn't even recognize downtown when I was there a couple years ago

Used to live rite by cris park and the boat ramp. Can't wait to get back down there this year and catch a few salty fish

Where abouts do you usually fish?

Here is one from my phone after 10 hours of stripping and sanding....what a *****
2.jpg

Hey lagerhead I could tell you but I would have to kill ya.....jk..... normally south Boca Ciega bay or pinellas point.......for the flats....my passion is blue water out to the loop current.

No worrys I'm usually stuck on the shore when we go down there. Fish'd a lot around snell isle

Stripping jonboat paint is the biggest pita in the whole project but looks like you about got it licked

Nice work Bigwave. I see you got the hull turned over OK. On my boat, the P.O. used a 1/8" piece of Diamond Plate
on the inside and 1/8" plain aluminum on the outside.
I think I would apply a liberal coat of 5200 to all those holes before closing up. That stuff is
white tar and once cured, it is permanently bonded. Esp. to yourself. :) Keep Hacking...Jerry

It's hard to tell in the picture.

How big are they?
They are not that big....that one is the biggest 1/4 inch.....I am going to marinetex that hole and the miscellaneous rivit holes from past hardware.

Thanks for the advise Jerry. That is exactly what I planed to do on the transom holes....set it and forget it....plates on both sides before the new transom goes in. Hey If your down in st. pete I work at Fishermans Ideal supply house a.k.a. FISH.....when Im done with my project I plan on traveling to new fishing spots up your way.....and farther north to brooksville. We should hook up.

Ps I have all weekend to work on this thing.....whoooo hoooooo

Kevin

+1 on what Jonboat said. With the new transom and plates on both sides you will be just fine. The sanding and prep work is the worst part after that the real fun begins.

P.S. the foam is fun to work with too.

Acetone is my new friend......hey fish did you use all 80cf? I came up with 31 for my boat....I'll be bending your ear soon on the goo.

LonLB said:
Advise on how to fix these holes.....I will have a few more to do before I prime and paint......

bigwave

I've had excellent results using JB Weld to patch small holes in the hull. I've also heard others warn against it's use though. I put some masking tape on one side and applied JBW to the other. To help with running, I let the JBW harden for 20 min or so before applying. It's very easy to sand smooth and paint over. I've attached a pic of my rig where I used the JBW, sorry about the TM in the after shot. There may be some additional pics in the link to my build. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCF0976.JPG
    DSCF0976.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,885
  • DSCF0837.JPG
    DSCF0837.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,885
Made a little progress on transom
Mirrorcraftrestore075-1.jpg

Mock-up before it gets glued and screwed
Mirrorcraftrestore070-1.jpg

MarineTex will be sanded and new alum plate over the transom skin...then primed and painted
Mirrorcraftrestore075-2.jpg

Starting to think about inside..I will put two 3" chase tubes...never have enough
Mirrorcraftrestore074-1.jpg

Too cold to spray but I'm almost ready to prime outside....should be 80 tomorrow...good time to spray this thing
Mirrorcraftrestore076-1.jpg

Well I did not make the progress that I wanted this weekend, but I did manage to get a couple of items done. One thing that has been on my mind is the transom.....as you can see i patched some of the holes with marine tex. I know that this will be covered but it still bothers me....my main goal is to place the engine on the transom before I paint. As you can see in the photos I have not cut it yet. What is the easiest way to cut this out of the aluminum? I have an angle grinder, and a jig saw....input would be appreciated. I also got most of the hull back to bare aluminum.....took 14hrs....but I am happy..... :LOL2:

Either the grinder or jig saw will work. I prefer the grinder but that's just me (for some reason i do better work with a grinder). I know this may sound weird but I also like to use masonry wheels in stead of metal wheels they seem to last longer and cut better. JMO

Congrats on the good looking project boat. I think you'll be happy with the Mirrocraft. I have **** near the same boat and did a full mod / restore on it about a year and a half ago. Not sure how to post the link to it, but if you search for the topic Finally Happening you should be able to find it, and it may give you a few ideas. Although I still have no viable outboard for it, it saw alot of use last year with the trolling motor and it rides and fishes beautifully. As said in earlier posts, now that you have all of the sanding done (definitly a *****), now the fun begins. This site is a fantastic resource and everyone is extremely helpful in answering questions. Good luck and have fun!!

Ok Crappieslayer, between you and Fish4fool I am constantly changing my ideas for the deck layout. I really like what you did and have a similar idea in mind for mine. I have owned my boat for 10 years and loved it when she ran last. She has been in drydock for over six years under a big old oak tree/wormbed. She will have a 25 johnson strapped to her when Im done. I will use primarily in saltwater around the tampabay area so carpet is not an option. Thank you for chiming in and I hope to make significant progress in the weeks to come. I have to save my pennies and will try to recycle all the junk in my garage on this build. I work for a Tackle/Marine supply store here in st. pete and get all my stuff at cost....big help for a small wallet. I like the redneck spray booth too....

More to come soon. Got the transom glued last night....slow progress but at least I got one more thing done....

before
Mirrorcraftrestore017.jpg

after
2-1.jpg

Now the motor will be at the proper depth for propulsion.......I plan on sealing with glass and then a coat or two of gel-coat.....the mason wheel worked great for the cut on the aluminum. Thanks for the tip fish4fool. By the way, anyone know how to get the girlfriend to understand just how important this boat project is.......She just does not understand why I am spending so much time on the boat. :mrgreen: