Modding my SeaKing 1242 Semi-V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some work on the rear deck done, I just need to install the batten along the back of the hatch hole, some support legs in the back and the front vertical support. I also made a new transom plate out of 1x8 oak. Here are the mandatory photos :D

RearDeckCut.jpg

RearHatch.jpg

RearFrame.jpg

Well I finally got together with Jeff and bought the TM from him, its a 17lb thrust MinKota so it should work out well. I figure what I well do is go down to Harbor Freight and get a set of their 8AWG 12ft jumper cables and cut the ends off those so I can put a battery box in front of the middle seat and run the wire to the back where I can have a buss block or something so I can hook up the TM and a fish finder when I find one.

minn kota all the way! Some family members and I have some motors from the 70's and they work fine and have never been repaired

I went and picked up some carpet today, they had some 6x8 rolls which I figure I can cut in half, 6x4, as my boat is only 42" at the widest along the bottom and I should just have enough. I also picked up a gallon of the paste and a couple PVC fittings to made a rod holder.

Well I still haven't gotten anything done aside from buying parts, I was at BiMart today looking for some oar lock socket bushings, which they didn't have but they did have a 900 lb winch on clearance for $19 and boat trailer rollers ect on sale so I picked up a v shaped bow bumper thingy :) for $3 and a roller for the back of the trailer for $5 which I thought was pretty good. I also picked up 3 cleats to put on the breast hook and gussets in the back.

I got a chance to work on my boat today, I got some patterns made for the middle seat support, the rear seat support and I also finished up the front seat for the most part, I just need to adjust things a little. Here's a photo.
Here is the front seat with the compartment for the anchor, I still need to adjust it a little to get it in better and get the door fitted. The anchor fits in fine, just enough room.
FrontSeat-1.jpg

Looking good. I have been cutting out and riveting in new seat supports for my 14' Sea King tonight. Hope to have it on the water in a week or so. Keep up the good work looking forward to more pictures.

Tight Lines
Flintcreek

Well I got a little bit done today after work, I got the rear seat/deck boards glued and nailed to the frame and I also dragged out the Harbor Freight folding 4x8 trailer, unfolded it :D and welded up the corners and cross braces to help hold it together better. Tomorrow I well probably pick up a sheet of 3/4" ply and some sealer to deck it with.

Carpet :D
Carpet.jpg

Do you guys think I should put some strips of carpet going up the sides a little in the bow area to make it look better?

Man is that glue a sticky mess if you get it on your hands. Now I just need to finish up the middle seat and get it all adjusted then I can epoxy the woodwork and carpet it. I well need to buy a little more carpet for the rear seat/deck though.

Yeah, your not really going to stand on the area anyway, I just figured it would make it look a little better. Anyway I well see if I can get the middle seat finished up today and maybe start epoxying tomorrow.

I agree with Jim, I would not carpet on up the sides looks good like it is. Looking forward to seeing the finished product....keep up the good work.

the only thing the carpet would help with upfront would be noise (rod tips and things like that).. otherwise, since it's painted, I think it looks pretty good

I got the middle seat supports all cut and attached and you can stand an elephant on it. I also measured up the flotation foam and it well still fit nicely inside but I am thinking on getting some new foam and cutting it to fit in snug and just have some 1x2's to hold it in or just have it go all the way to the floor, not like a little extra would hurt any :D Could one take some 2" foam sheet insulation and cut and glue it up into large blocks or where are good places to get large blocks of foam?

I want and ordered all of my stainless screws and nuts, not bad $20 including shipping from bolt depot.

Got a little work done, spent some more money, I got the plywood ect for the trailer and cut it up. I also sprayed on a good coat of Thomson's water seal, the stuff atomizes real good, made a big cloud. I also drug out my motor and tried running it on the 6 gallon auxiliary tank, always ran it before on the built in 2 gallon tank, I must have not emptied the float bowl the last time I ran it because I really had to fight it to get it going but it ran great off the large tank so that's good to know.

Tomorrow I am going to try to get the other side of the trailer deck sprayed and bolted down so I can put the boat on it to work on and figure out how the trailer well be set up.

:evil: WTF We had a little rain last night, 0.5", I had a tarp over the boat but a little water still got in, the carpet is pealing up, so much for the glue being waterproof. I guess I well have to get a better tarp and when everything dries out I well reglue the loose bits.

I also got the decking bolted down to the trailer and my Dad is going to help me lift the boat onto the trailer.

Latest posts