more than a fishing report

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
We left for Texas the morning of Sept 2nd. I had to work the night before (my 50th birthday) so when I got off work I went home and showered and then laid down for a nap. We ended up hitting the road about 10:30am with my wife driving and me dozing in the passenger seat. We took my Trailblazer instead of the wife’s Silverado partly for MPG reasons but also because 2 days before we left my wife told me her truck was making a strange noise. Further investigation revealed both from wheel bearings were making grinding noises. 2003 with 70,000 miles and both wheel bearings go out!!! I didn’t have the time to change them so we decided on taking the Trailblazer. We didn’t deviate much from our plan of driving straight through. We did stop to sit down for dinner at a Dairy Queen but other than that we only stopped when we needed gas.

Once we got there we headed over to our house and unloaded the Truck and then headed over to see the new grandkid. 20” and 6lb 8.5oz. Bentley Cole Ross is his name but they are going to call him Cole. My questions is why not just name him Cole? Met the father (daughter’s boyfriend) and he seemed ok (key word is seemed). Visited with just about everyone from my wife’s side of the family and most are doing pretty well.

I didn’t get to fish as much as I really wanted to because we were busy being the chauffeur for the daughter, taking her to all her doctor appointments and such. I did take one fishing pole down there, a BPS Cranking stick and used it for Redfish fishing. Prolly not the smartest thing. The very first fish I hooked broke the rod between the 4th and 5th guides. Fish was only a 19” Red but he sure did hit hard. Anyhow the Son-in-Law had several spinning rods he let me use. Never did get to catch a keeper Redfish but one night my Brother-in-Law and I went out and managed to get 5 nice Flounder before his generator crapped out and we had to all it a night. My Daughter and Son-in-Law went out the same night in a different area and stayed out longer and then ended up with 7 fish. I still had the biggest one at 24”.

Drove by and saw the USS Lexington
TexasTrip002.jpg

We got a little closer but the wife didn’t want to walk that much so we didn’t take the tour. Maybe next time I can get one of the other relatives to go take the tour with me.
TexasTrip007.jpg

Saw a really neat building and later found out it is a souvenir shop
TexasTrip009.jpg

We rode the Port Aransas ferry
TexasTrip016.jpg

And drove on the beach
TexasTrip010.jpg

We saw a metric butt ton of humming birds at my Brother-in-Law’s house. There were times that there were 8-9 Hummers at the feeder. Every time I tried to get a shot most flew off.
TexasTrip005.jpg

Nicole really wanted the baby. Every time he was there she was all over him.
TexasTrip020.jpg

Here’s me with the new guy
TexasTrip034.jpg

Come on, tell my Jimmy Durante doesn’t come to mind. His nose isn’t the only thing that is disproportionally large. He has really long fingers and feet among other attributes.
TexasTrip036.jpg

TexasTrip038.jpg

The Flounder my Brother-in-Law and I got
flounder_002.jpg

Daughter and Son-in-Law’s flounder
flounder_001.jpg

My 24” Flounder
flounder_003.jpg

After we got back and got settled in I had to work a couple days and them was sent to Johnson City, TN to do a thermalgraphic survey of our energy center at the Mountain Home VA complex. That’s some nice looking country there. Next year I’m staying an extra day and bringing a fishing pole.

Last Saturday my wife and I were coming back from some grocery shopping and she asked if I had cut a padlock off something. I asked her what she was talking about and she pointed to a cut padlock lying on the ground. I said that’s the lock on the Honda outboard hanging on the fence. We both looked at the fence and saw no motor hanging there. Some low life scum bass turd cut the lock and stole my Honda outboard during the night. The unscrewed the flood light bulbs and cut the lock. Now this really pisses me off. I would have been even more pissed off if they had expended the same amount of energy and stole the new Tohatsu 8hp off my boat. The Honda has bad fuel pump and I hope they are in the middle of a lake and some severe weather kicks up and they get stranded out there. The police said there really isn’t a lot they can do but will let me know if they hear something. I’m going around posting reward posters for the arrest and execution of the perpetrator/s.

Now the weather here hasn’t been too conducive to fishing on my days off. Salmon season is about done and we are going camping in Lena, IL this weekend. Hopefully I can get some Walleye fishing in before it gets too late. Then it’s time to start planning the hard water attack. Thought about trying my hand at the NAIFC this year. They have a qualifier on one of the local lakes. Not sure if I can work out getting time off to fish the final if I qualify though.

That’s about all that has been going on with me lately.
(well that's not exactly correct but that stuff can wait)

Hey! I know that area - used to live about 70 miles north on the coastline there! Nice Flounder! Those Redfish can run hard. Never broke a rod, but nearly lost a couple of them over the side when using mullet.

The Lexington is nice, but long! It really is hard on the feet.

Congrats on the family addition!

Will

Hey, Popeye, welcome back and congrats on the grandson =D>

Sorry to hear about your motor :x

Glad you had a good trip - too bad you can't make Dale Hollow next week :( it's gonna be a fun time :D

Nice report and story (well nice for me to read, sorry about have your motor stolen)

One question - who is the horribly ugly man holding the wonderful baby?

Welcome back! Interesting report and congrats on your beautiful Grandson!

Sorry to hear about the motor. Bad things happen to good people. I found that out the hard way. But in the end karma comes around and bites them in the A$$.

Captain Ahab said:
One question - who is the horribly ugly man holding the wonderful baby?

If you read the comments by the pictures you'll see that isn't a horrible ugly man, that's Nicole and she is another grandchild.

Captain Ahab said:
I meant this photo - very cute baby - but is that a disfigured walrus holding the cute kid?

Popeye said:
Here’s me with the new guy
TexasTrip034.jpg

Oh, that one. That's me but if you look at the date stamp on th epicture you'll see that is just after we got down there from our 22 hour drive and I hadn't really gotten a chance to clean up from the trip. If you'll check out the other picture of me you'll notice I really am a handsome guy.

flounder_003.jpg

Congradulations on the new grandson.
Sounds like you had a great trip,nice size flounder.
Sorry to hear about your motor maybe they will find out who done it...never know.

sounds like a good vacation

gm hubs are pretty common to go out and they should be making bank off of them. a sealed hub is not a design i'd want unless i was selling them. anyhoo, they're only around 300 a piece so dont worry! :roll: atleast they are easy to replace. pull the caliper and rotor, axle nut, there will be 3 13 or 15mm bolts on the back of the knuckle. steer the wheel right/left to get the sides, you'll need a 6" extension to get the top if its 4wd. and thats that. dont wack the new one with a hammer you'll kill the speed sensor

good idear about the posters with pics of the motor. im sure the guy that stole it will s(*& himself when they see um. i'd put dead or alive big fat r =D> reward

bought the hub assemblies whie in Texas for $109.00 each and had to beat the pi... um... daylights out of the old ones to get them out. Cleaned out the rust and gunk from the hole and the new ones about fell into place. It's a 2WD so it's even easier than a 4x4. Took an hour to do both sides including cleaning up afterwards.

Welcome back, swabby, and nice report and pics! Congrats on the new grandson!!!

Hopefully the scumbag(s) that stole your motor will be at ground zero when the motor decides to blow :twisted:

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund said:
How was the bigwater fishing this year?

Because of various things (new camper we had to use most weekends, new job responsibility requiring me to travel some, people taking vacation I had to cover for, MY 3 week vacation), I didn't get to fish for Salmon much this year and even less for Walleyes. I do have enough Salmon in my freezer to last me through to the spring run, but didn't get enough to keep other people's freezer full. Perching was pretty good this spring. Managed to get enough to keep every one happy. How did your season go?

Salmon fishing was OK. I did the derby. Didn't make the cut. Biggest 25lbs and the fish was unbelievable like I got atleast 50 fish this year between 20-24lbs. Lost a probe and 2 canonballs. Walleye was good this year same with Crappie.

Salmon fishing was OK. I did the derby. Didn't make the cut. Biggest 25lbs and the fish was unbelievable like I got atleast 50 fish this year between 20-24lbs. Lost a probe and 2 canonballs. Walleye was good this year same with Crappie.

Wish I could even connect with a 20 pounder. Biggest this year for me was around 14 pounds I think. There were some 20+ caught over this way. Lost a probe? Depth Raider? Ouch!

Popeye said:

Wish I could even connect with a 20 pounder. Biggest this year for me was around 14 pounds I think. There were some 20+ caught over this way. Lost a probe? Depth Raider? Ouch!

It was a MOOR Sub-troll 900 and it ran me $200 + 2 pancake canonballs @ $60 each.

It was a MOOR Sub-troll 900 and it ran me $200 + 2 pancake canonballs @ $60 each.

Still ouch! Can't believe how much lead went up. I got lucky and found a guy locally that pours his own and I got 2 10 pound cannonball weights (round ones) for a dollar a pound