My "Little One"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so far out of date when it comes to uploading videos. Google has to send me a verification and I am waiting on that. But, it is NOT here yet... Not sure, why not!

Talons

Okay, I think this is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6fw1-kONCM

Talons

Had to put the correct link in here... OOPS!
:wink:

Links to parts 2 and 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLxWSs-3Zk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob0eo_gnttw

I hope you enjoy it! :)
Talons

Well, the good news is... There is no good news. :(
The bad news is: The boat is in the shop having something done to the carb. HOPEFULLY, I will be able to pick it back up this coming Friday.

Once I get it back, I can determine how I am really going to install the tank. I have reviewd my original little design (the one in the videos) and I think that this limits the available space too much. I am thinking about a different tank style. But, until I get the boat back, I won't be sure that it will work.

Oh well, we'll see...

Talons

Talons said:
Well, the good news is... There is no good news. :(
The bad news is: The boat is in the shop having something done to the carb. HOPEFULLY, I will be able to pick it back up this coming Friday.

Once I get it back, I can determine how I am really going to install the tank. I have reviewd my original little design (the one in the videos) and I think that this limits the available space too much. I am thinking about a different tank style. But, until I get the boat back, I won't be sure that it will work.

Oh well, we'll see...

Talons

Man those videos are great! Good luck on the tank

Well, if you look at the pictures, you will notice that I took them from bow to stern in like 5 shots. Those are basically how I am breaking down the boat.

5 Sections:
Bow deck
Front Floor
Middle Bench Seat
Rear Floor
Stern deck (which is not even there yet).

All of these places already exist and I don't have to build them up. You would think that I would start with the "EASIEST" place first, and well, I just might make some compromises on that, but to be honest I want to start with the bow deck area.

Bow deck area is going to have the deck, a front seat, the trolling motor, the fishfinder (although I want a multi-position system), storage, the gas tank (custom built) and although I have been warned AGAINST this, I am hoping for the battery to go up there too, but it could go in the back.

I wanted to get a basic overall plan to address each section and I have that. But, as I look more and more into the gas tank, it is the HARDEST part of the entire boat.

I want to build the tank myself. I want to use 1/16 aluminum for this. I have changed the design from what is in the video to something that will be almost 6 gallons EXACTLY and provide the rear section transformation from the front deck/storage to the front floor. The visible side of this tank (I am hoping) will be made with the diamond type deck plating. Basically, the tank is a box that is 36"x12". If the two outside triangles that are in the diagram are ALSO part of the tank (which would be an upside down trapezoid at this point) then the tank only needs to be 2.75" deep to get 6 US gallons of gas. So, I am think that is the target. Now, if we leave out the 'wings' (the extra triangles) and just go with a box, at 2.75" deep we get 5.142 gallons which means we have to take the box up to 3.2" deep to get the full 6 gallons. I have looked at
https://www.basspro.com/Moeller-Marine-Products-Permanent-Fuel-Tank-Installation-Kit/product/90758/122078 and I think this will do the basic job, but what it does more is define my parameters for the tank itself. So, we know it has to be more than 1-1/2 inches in size to accomodate the fuel fill. Anyway, here is what I am thinking about putting the tank together: I want to use something called TECHNO-WELD. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

If you don't use the abraiding rod like in the demo, it is just brazing (or soldering), but if you break the oxide layer as they describe it should be just what it says it is. Anyone use ALUMI WELD, (same stuff, but American and not British)?

If that is not a good idea, then let me know so I don't blow myself up! HA HA!

I will talk more about each section in the next few posts, but for now, I am focused on the fuel tank... And unfortunately the boat is in the shop having the engine looked at. **** gas today!

Talons

Attachments

• Rough Draft of Fuel Tank.png
    Rough Draft of Fuel Tank.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 526
Well, here the actual first piece of my new "FUEL SYSTEM" for my conversion!

https://youtu.be/B1NYsj9wCp8

Enjoy!

Talons

Okay, so the boat and engine are at the shop. I told him everything I did to determine that the carb was the problem. It took them a week to actually get to my boat. Then it took two days for them to tell me back everything I already told them. Finally, they started trying to find the actual problem.

Stuck/gummy needle and needs two new diaphragms. They said these were 'special order parts' (translation: We don't carry those in stock) and they would take 3 business days to get here. Then, I suspect it will take another week for the whole thing to be 'finished'.

They already fixed the transmission linkage, so that should be good. But, how can you not have Merc Carberatur parts on hand?

When I get it back though, there will be more work to show on the new fuel system, which I will NEVER put E10 in again... :evil:

Talons

Hi all!

While the boat away, the brain will play! Not only did I acquire the gas tank, I have made my overall plans for the boat. In addition, I have made my color choices.

I have decided to go with the Rustoleum CAMO series paint colors. And I was going to go with the darker grey for the outside and the lighter grey for the inside, but what changed my mind was the Rusoleum Truck Bed liner spray cans.

Outside will be the DEEP FOREST GREEN Camo Series paint color and inside will be the TAN Truck bed liner color. There is no way I would use BLACK in Florida. As it is, I am wondering how that truck bed liner is going to be heat wise on top of an Aluminum floor.

That's the basics, I will post more pics when I get some. And watch for more videos of the boat taking shape as we remove the center bench seat and decide if the rear is being modified more or not.

Talons

I know I have nothing much to show for this yet... AND it is quite bothersome that the boat is not here, at the house, where I can just walk out to it and do a quick measure to make sure what I want to do will, in fact work. Not only that, but I get ancy and excited to get mine going when I see the other ones on this site progressing so much.

Fuel system is first. I have decided since that is where my main problem has been with this rig, that is where I am going to start and I am NOT going to deviate from that until I get that finished. I keep thinking about all the other stuff I want to do and I keep reeling myself back in to the fuel system.

So far parts gathered or ordered for the fuel system:
1) 30.5x10.5x16.5 (about 22.8 gallons) fuel tank. This will be cut down to 30.5"x10.5"x4.5"-5.0" providing 6.24 to 6.93 gallons of fuel.
2) 20' of 3/8 OD aluminum fuel line. Since my rig is only 14', I should have plenty for the job.
3) 3/8 aluminum clamps with rubber bushings. Pack of 10, and I think I will need 8.

Since the boat is not actually here, I cannot measure to see if the size I have in mind for the tank WILL fit, so I do not dare cut it yet. I will stop by the shop tomorrow though, and measure the area. I believe it will fit, but I would hate to 'believe' and be wrong.

The fuel tank will be mounted under the front deck at the rear of deck. The feed drain will be in the bottom. From the feed nipple will connect to the aluminum fuel line via a rubber connection hose (or it will connect directly to the bunge) and from there it will run along the bottom of the boat in one of the floor channels, until it gets to the stern. Underneath each of the ribs the line passes under, one of the aluminum fuel clamps will hold this line in place, literally suspended off the main floor of the boat. The transom has a brace (kind of triangle piece) that runs from the floor to the transom. The fuel line will end somewhere on this, near the engine. The final connection to the engine will be done via rubber fuel line.

What I would honestly love to have is some way to drain out the water of the tank, like you do on aircraft, to ensure there is no water in there, but meh, that's pricey. I will just have to be careful of what gas I put in the tank.

I will try to take pictures of the new location for the new fuel tank when I get to the shop tomorrow so I can show you all what I mean, but man, I am getting ancy... I tell ya!

Talons

Sunday, I was wanting VERY badly to cut the tank, but I thought to myself "What if it does not where I want it to go now?" "That would suck to have bought the tank, cut it and then have to discard it." So, I made a cardboard mockup of Tank #2.

I stopped by the boat yesterday and I was not sure, but what I was sure about was: I was so GLAD I didn't cut the tank. Now, today, I took my mockup over to the boat (which is at the shop waiting for Mercury parts, (Really? WTF???)) to check if the tank shape I want to use (a basic rectangular box now) will, in fact into the boat as-is.
Little One Gas Tank Check 001.JPG

Luckily, I found out that YEP! It will. I can go up to 5 inches from stern to bow and it should work just fine.
What we have is a tank that is: 30.5" (width wise of the boat), 10.5" high, and 5" deep.

The pictures kind of show it, but I didn't have a lot of time as you can see in the video, I got the natives interested in what I was doing.
https://youtu.be/kBPf2EmV1F4

The top of the tank will mount either to the angle cross member that supports the rear of the deck, or there will be angles that are used to 'tuck up underneath' the angles that are already there.
Little One Gas Tank Check 005.JPG

For the bottom, I intend to use either some angle welded to the tank and mount them front of the tank, making a flange over the rib. Attachments will be done... Well, I am not quite sure about that actually. Rivets? I don't know.
Little One Gas Tank Check 008.JPG

Anyway, enjoy. Comments, questions, concerns are all welcome.

Enjoy the video when it gets posted as well.

Talons

Alright! Tomorrow the boat comes back home from the shop! FINALLY!

I have a LOT of work to do to the whole rig... So, please stay tuned. Your feedback helps keep me motivated. :)

Talons

Hey Talons, Take a deep breath.....I too had the same enthusiasm when I started my mod. I know it is hard to wait to work on the boat, but in time you just keep chipping away at it and the end will come. I wish my job was full time tinboat restoration, but life keeps throwing curveballs at me. Keep up the good work.......soon you will be enjoying your new ride.

I wrote a whole big post, but lost it...

Old front deck to new longer deck...
From wood to aluminum...
Cut hand finding aluminum in metal yard...

Talons

Attachments

• Hurricane Deck Boa 022.JPG
    Hurricane Deck Boa 022.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 471
  • Hurricane Deck Boa 021.JPG
    Hurricane Deck Boa 021.JPG
    849 KB · Views: 471
  • First Set from NIKON 147.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 147.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 471
Today, I am planning on getting the front deck to a better 'fit'. I have to remove some bolts from the supporting angles to do that, but meh, whatever.

The 'cliff' notes from yesterday were:
I got the boat back: YIPPIE!
I got some aluminum, during this process, I cut up my left hand (three fingers, except the 'the bird' and the thumb) with anywhere from minor to the bone (or close).
I bought 4 pieces of aluminum.
One is for the gas tank mod, which will be moving along better after... other stuff.
One is for the front deck (as you can see, but I actually changed my mind during the mod to make the front deck longer, so the largest piece I bought is up there now). Don't we all change our minds once we are actually looking at the boat? ;)
One is for the floor. At least segment one. It is unfortunate that I have to do the floor in segments, but the aluminum place didn't have any really good pieces that would take care of the floor as one piece, so multiples it is.
The last one was for the rear deck, which I have not even really thought through yet.

So, what is going to end up happening is: The front deck will be extended. The other two pieces of sheet aluminum will be used for the flooring. The two 10" strips that get cut off of them, will be used for the gunwale designs. This will leave the rear deck kind of the way it is right now. :(

But, the trade off is: I AM HAPPY I MADE THE DECISION TO LENGTHEN THE FRONT DECK. It just feels like the right choice!

Talons

I spent the day fabricating the new aluminum front deck for "The Little One".

It was a slow process between making a cut, bringing the sheet over to the boat for fit, bringing it back to the driveway, making another cut, repeat.

Then, when I finally got close, I made a trip to Harbor Freight. The most useful tool that I bought was a 4 1/2" Grinder. WOW! Made the job a lot easier. Once I got to where I thought, "Okay, it is grinder territory" I went and got the grinder (and a few other tools and such.

I made some pictures along the way, and I hope you enjoy them.

The 'fit' is there, but the deck is not 'completed'. It still needs the cutouts and it will be getting a new one as well. BUT, it "FITS"! And that was my goal for today. I am surprised it took me all day, but it did.

On to the pictures!

Talons
p.s. I have NEVER worked with aluminum before!

Attachments

• Front Deck Fabrication 015.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 015.JPG
    860.4 KB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 014.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 014.JPG
    888.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 013.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 013.JPG
    962.8 KB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 009.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 009.JPG
    903.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 006.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 006.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 005.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 005.JPG
    1,005 KB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 003.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • Front Deck Fabrication 001.JPG
    Front Deck Fabrication 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 451
Now that I have the front deck kind of fitted, it is time to move to the previous project. While it was raining today, I was able to place the tank I bought into the boat and check some measurements.

You can see in the picture it actually already fits in there and with the new longer deck, I COULD just mount it right there, after cleaning it out and all. But, what is going to happen is that the tank will be cut horizontally front rear to front so that the rear of the tank is 6" high. The front can be from zero to 1.5 inches, it doesn't really matter. Basically it is a triangle when looking at the side. It is going to be mounted forward of where it is in the picture, so that the rib it is sitting on, will still be the rib it sits on, but the REAR of the tank will sit on the front of the rib.

If my calculations are correct with a volumetric triangle of 6" high, 16.5" long and 30.5" wide, I should get about 6.5 gallons of gas. This will also leave room for storage above the tank and rearward of the tank. Battery placement then becomes simply a matter of where I want to put it to deal with the recharging after the trips.

Also, doing it this way, I get to reuse the current cutouts. So, all I will need is the gas filler cap/vent combo. I think that is about $36.

Talons

Attachments

• Rainy Gas Tank Day 002.JPG
    Rainy Gas Tank Day 002.JPG
    964.2 KB · Views: 437