My "Little One"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I sat there looking at the two options I had for the gas tank fab/install and I finally made a decision. Man, I didn't know that this was going to be so full of decisions, decisions, decisions... And if you change your mind along the way, the effect that has on other stuff that you have and have not even thought about yet.

I went with the rectangle, which was the second idea, actually. It gives me just over 6 gallons of gas, it becomes a permanent fixture in the boat and I get an added benefit. The piece that was to be discarded can actually be made into a fish live well, maybe... :)

Enjoy the pictures.

Talons

Attachments

• Gas Tank Fab 1 005.JPG
    Gas Tank Fab 1 005.JPG
    849.3 KB · Views: 434
  • Gas Tank Fab 1 004.JPG
    Gas Tank Fab 1 004.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Gas Tank Fab 1 003.JPG
    Gas Tank Fab 1 003.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 434
  • Gas Tank Fab 1 002.JPG
    Gas Tank Fab 1 002.JPG
    853.4 KB · Views: 434
  • Gas Tank Fab 1 001.JPG
    Gas Tank Fab 1 001.JPG
    859.1 KB · Views: 434
cant wait to see where you end up with all this! looking good so far :) i have been thinking about putting my fuel tank up front but i had one big question that is stopping me.... with all that extra line do you have to run an electric fuel pump for the fuel to get all the way to the motor?

Nope. Should not have to. Mine is going to be 'gravity' fed. The 'feed' bung is going to be on the bottom on the stern side (or the actual botto) of the tank. So, the fuel will simply 'flow' to the rear of the boat. The fuel pump on the outboard should be sufficient enough to draw up the fuel from the new aluminum fuel line because it would have had to do that with a regular fuel tank anyway. And this _IS_ a regular fuel tank.

The sheet that covers the opening is made of the same thickness as the tank, .090. Is it the same type of aluminum? I don't know. All I need it to do is hold fuel, keep out the water, drain properly (i.e. Fuel Flow) and not rust. Since everything in the boat is going to be some kind of aluminum or plastic (styrofoam is a plastic product, I think), it should not rust. There should be no more than the normal galvanistic corrosion that occurs with any aluminum jon boat.

I also removed the transom support/reinforcement piece today. It is 1/2 plywood, looks like it was dealer installed. It is in 'fair' shape, but I am intending to replace it with straight aluminum. It will be the same exact piece, but in the aluminum instead of wood.

I am hoping this weeked to get the propane torch and to practice some aluminnum 'welding' and also to paint the outside of the boat. Or at least get the outside primed.

And after starting all of this and hoping to be able to do all of it, I started concerning myself about weight. How much can I safely put in the boat? Where is the best place for what? If you put X here, where should A go? That sort of thing. It is only a 14 footer. They don't really carry a whole lot of weight when you think about it. And when I think about it, I know that I have overloaded it at least once. Had me, the wife, three kids, cooler, tackle box, bait, rods, EVERYTHING you take fishing on board and still we went out in it. We were probably just about 3 inches above the edge of the gunnels, but we made it just fine. However, now that I know better, I would not do that again.

So, for this rig, I will limit it to standard gear and equipment necessary to go fishing AND 2 or 3 people, but those extra '2 people' will be my lightweight sons. If it is me and my 'buddy', then it would just be the two of us and the gear.

Now that I have removed the engine, the Max. Persons is visible and the boat is limited to 3. Or 395 pounds. Now, that's just wrong. Me, my wife and the engine are more than that and you still have add gas, cooler, tackle and 3 more people... We didn't sink.

I have 'sunken' this boat, but like I said that is another story entirely. One where I lost my cell phone and the 'Waterproof' Magellan GPS... Yeah, some waterproofing... :(

Anyway, I was happy to get this decision out of the way and become committed to the choice of where and how this will all work.

The fuel tank will be re-using the fill tube from the purchased tank, the vent tube as well, but both will be slightly shorter. The feed bung might be reused, if I can salvage it, but the sending unit is toast. It will have to be replaced.

I found a real nice mult-instrument gauge on the internet which has a fuel gauge and two battery gauges, all contained in ONE normal gauge size. It's pricey, but it makes the control panel easier to do.

Tomorrow, if I get some time, I will check to see that the aluminum tubing I bought will be enough. I am pretty sure it will be because I bought 20'. You don't want to play with that too much or you can ruin it though.

I have also contacted the local Lowe boat dealer. I was thinking about finding out how much the 1648 and 1852 are. I was toying with the idea of trading 'up'. But, I think for now, I will just keep on plugging away at this one and when I get it finished, who knows?

Talons

While weed-eating (trimming) my yard, this AM. I started thinking about using all that scrap metal I was cutting off of the main pieces. So, I decided where the battery is going to go in the boat. And then this AM, I decided to fabricate a home made battery holder out of the scrap aluminum I have lying around.

The basic idea is one of 'strips' of aluminum arranged in such a way as the batter can be easily removed either out the side or top if there is a hatch there. The flanges are to be mounted on the underneath side of the new front deck. The battery holder will be mounted aft of the new gas tank.

I did all the bending myself with my workmake, a 2x4, a fish fillet board and a rubber mallet. (Homemade breakpress 4TW). The bends came out just fine for what I was trying to accomplish. Then the two pieces are riveted together with 6 rivets.

Personally, I could have done a more 'professional' job, but meh, it is for my own boat and it was scrap metal I was not going to be using for anything else.

Overall, I think it came out alright.

Enjoy the pics!

Talons

Attachments

• Puppy Visit 033.JPG
    Puppy Visit 033.JPG
    931.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Puppy Visit 032.JPG
    Puppy Visit 032.JPG
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Puppy Visit 030.JPG
    Puppy Visit 030.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 408
  • Puppy Visit 029.JPG
    Puppy Visit 029.JPG
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Puppy Visit 026.JPG
    Puppy Visit 026.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 408
I have successfully manufactured a replacement transom support plate. The old one from Lowe was made out of 1/2 plywood. The new one is made out of 5 layers of aluminum. .09, .09, .100, .100, .100 sandwiched together and then riveted with two small rivets for support while re-installing.

Talons

Attachments

• Boat Fabrication - Transom and Ice Chest 007.JPG
    Boat Fabrication - Transom and Ice Chest 007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 393
Got the tank put together today.

Leak test later today.

Enjoy.
Talons

Attachments

• Tank Welding 009.JPG
    Tank Welding 009.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 697
  • Tank Welding 006.JPG
    Tank Welding 006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 697
The tank is in the 'is it salvagable' stage... HA HA!

When I tried to correct the leaks, the seam where the bowing is, seperated from the main tank and the aluminum, well, it melted. Now, it is surgery to fix it, but I will build up my courage to try it again.

I got to work on the front deck tonight and I was able to cut the 4.5" off the end I needed to make it just the right length. Then I was able to cutout the hole for the seat swivel mount. And I located two of the main deck attachment screws.

That should be enough to get it pretty much mounted tomorrow for a test fit of all the parts. I can even place the gas tank underneath for actual 'location' checks.

I am pretty happy with the way it is coming together, although slower than i thought it would be. None of us EVER though that, right? :D

Talons

I got to do some stuff on the boat this weekend. Tomorrow I think I will go on and go fishing!

Cutting and excavation of the ice chest cavity.
Excavation of the ice chest cavity is completed.
Used my new Bending Brake for the bends on the scraps.
Bottom of ice chest is a .09 thick piece with bent angles made from 'scrap' that I have made from other cuttings.
Ice Chest. I use the existing foam in the bench seat to insulate the ice chest.

It's getting there.

Talons

Attachments

• Boat work Columbus Holiday 043.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 043.JPG
    802.3 KB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 041.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 041.JPG
    833.9 KB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 032.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 032.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 028.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 028.JPG
    943.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 021.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 021.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 016.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 016.JPG
    889.3 KB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 015.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 015.JPG
    731.3 KB · Views: 668
  • Boat work Columbus Holiday 010.JPG
    Boat work Columbus Holiday 010.JPG
    873.7 KB · Views: 668
Got some more work done on her. But the gas tank has some holes. May have to just give up.

Ice chest install done. Fabricated the deck support/ice chest lid framing today.

I got to toy around with a real welder this weekend. It was unable to do aluminum so it goes back to my buddy.

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place or is each piece supposed to be or did people just lose interest? Can't blame y'all for that, but I'm getting there.

When I get it all done I plan on making a YouTube about it.

Talons

I like the way you are using aluminum instead of wood, O plan on doin that to mine too as soon as I can afford it, but for now picked up scrap lumber from some friends and it works!

Thanks! :)
I have never worked with metal before and I am really enjoying it! Except for some minor cuts, of course! :LOL2:

Ended up just using my little six gallon plastic tank I already have and it will be going in the rear. Had to mod the transom support bracket to make it fit, but I will post pictures later.

Talons

That Sufis with the alumina weld stuff I was really hoping it would have worked for you. Their video makes it look easy though. I really like how you have used all aluminum. No more repairs down the road. Keep up the stellar work.

The rear hatch is complete!
The rear deck is ALMOST complete. Just some minor adjustments and a special 'compartment' for 'stuff' for the rear seater! :p

Once this project is done, I'm already thinking about another 'project'... :)

Love working in Aluminum... :D

Talons

Hi Everyone!

I hope some people are still checking this out. I don't know why but part of the fun is having others comment on the work.

Today I have a few pictures. What I am doing with the remainder of the original 22 gallon fuel tank I purchased, of which one side was supposed to be the new permanently installed 7.5 gallon fuel tank, is making a Livewell/Baitwell. It is going to end up being around 48 qts. and fully insulated.

But, before we do that we have to remove some leftover fuel type items:
The vent tube, the remainder from the id plate, the inside backing plate and the fuel fill tube. This we all taken off with a 4.5" grinder with a cutting blade and grinding wheel.

Talons

Attachments

• Boat Stuff June 8, 2013 008.jpg
    Boat Stuff June 8, 2013 008.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 448
  • Boat Stuff June 8, 2013 009.jpg
    Boat Stuff June 8, 2013 009.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 448
  • Boat Stuff June 8, 2013 010.jpg
    Boat Stuff June 8, 2013 010.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 448