NAME 5 NEED TO KNOW PEARLS OF WISDOM- beginner help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330075#p330075 said:
zzzybil » Today, 18:33[/url]"]

trailer lights major PIA - for me anyways so far - i thought i liked they will go in receeded holes into / under fenders - not be stepped on ? .....that was easier route than figuring a whole new attachment method...... i thought it was going to be quicker too - reasonable to go with what already worked ?? hahaha....

Well, as I said in my other post, I like lights up on guides. And not just for visibility of the trailer when backing down the ramp with no boat, but also, it keeps the lights up out of the water. They advertise all kinds of trailer lights as waterproof. B.S. There is no such thing. I have yet to see a set of trailer lights that were immersed, and did not eventually fail. But then again, I'm around saltwater. Maybe it's different in freshwater, but I would think water immersion of any kind can't be good for lights.

i'm not sure yet what i can drill into and bolt to as far as those braces ,to make a strong grab rail ?
-what to use etc
whether screw into tops or sides ? if doing that will weaken them...( well yes i am capable of making holes -just giving it some thought 1st )...

If you can access the bottom side, I would use a backer plate made from plywood, or even better, some 1/8 aluminum plate, and thru-bolt it. Simply bolting through the flanges without a backer plate, is insufficient, as it does not spread the force out over a large area, which can cause the area around the flanges to buckle, or the fasteners may rip out, especially if you only use screws.