New Boat Question (sorry its long)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things. It just bugs me to see all the assumptions about riveted boats, by folks who obviously don't own, or have a lot of experience with them. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't just a time bomb waiting to start leaking. We have had boats from the mid 50s, that have gotten used, and abused, that are still watertight. Also had a welded one that leaked. There is nothing wrong with welded boats, except when it comes to replacing a transom :x , but there also is nothing wrong with riveted ones.

Also, what makes you think 12 inch tires distribute the weight better? Changing the tire size is a big improvement, but absolutely not weight wise. Changing the tire size, helps only the bearings. The boat, and trailer will not notice a difference. Larger tires spin fewer times in a given distance, than would smaller ones. That is due to the larger circumference. But, spinning less times also means spinning slower. Both of these help the bearings a lot. Puts a lot less distance around the spindle on them, and in bearings, distance is friction, friction is heat, and heat is bad.

I don't know if it has been said, but add bearing buddies. Best thing you can do to a boat trailer.

That trailer is rated at 600lbs, and will probably not be enough once you factor in boat, seats, batteries, trolling motors, cooler, gear, blah, blah, blah :)

I'm thinking a 14' boat would weigh in the 200lb range, batteries are roughly 60lbs. each, and so on. Heck, even the pound that the bearing buddies would add needs to be considered!

Hi NJ,

I think bassboy didn't really mean anything by his wording, but he could have chosen then better, it came off bad.

However, I do not know, as I've not seen the trailers in question, but it's probably the axle and/or construction of the trailer that gave it it's larger capacity, although larger tires generally, but not always, are rated for a heavier load as well.

That's a great point too, if at all possible, purchase a larger weighted trailer than you think you will need, you might just be glad you did that one camping trip or such that you don't have any more room in the truck, and started loading stuff up in the boat on the way over!

Yeah sorry about my wording. My dad and I both have an issue, with wording things wrong, and accidentally offending people. Folks that know us get used to it, but ones that don't, aren't always happy with me.

Most 8 inch tires are rated at 500 each - 1000 pounds together.
Many 12s are 900 to 1000 a piece. But, they make axles and springs that are 1000 pounds, and I bet that some of those smaller trailers have them.

Anangler, that wasn't my link. That was fishin NJ's link.
Not gonna take credit that don't belong to me. :lol:

Latest posts