New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like The General, those are awesome rigs. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey All,
New guy here from Western Mass. Picked up an old aluminum boat and am doing a big of a refurbish and build. So far the forum has been a great resource and I look forward to learning a lot more!

Hello
I am a 61yo Buckeye living on the famous, toxic algae infested, Grand Lake St. Marys.
Started in 1970 with a 12' Starcraft and 10hp Johnson. Boat would plane out easily. At that time, most pontoon boats had 25-30hp motors and I could smoke em. Still have that rig.
Many boats later, I am here because of my 1997 Starcraft Superfisherman 190 with Merc 125 that is nice....but needs a little tlc.
I have read this forum over the years, and found good advice from boat addicts like me!

oldgofaster said:
Hello
I am a 61yo Buckeye living on the famous, toxic algae infested, Grand Lake St. Marys.
Started in 1970 with a 12' Starcraft and 10hp Johnson. Boat would plane out easily. At that time, most pontoon boats had 25-30hp motors and I could smoke em. Still have that rig.
Many boats later, I am here because of my 1997 Starcraft Superfisherman 190 with Merc 125 that is nice....but needs a little tlc.
I have read this forum over the years, and found good advice from boat addicts like me!
welcome aboard. Iam in the Fort so I know your stomping grounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First post on the site. Looking forward to learning, listening and (maybe) inspiring. Found my first boat under my father in laws house. Thing was sitting there collecting dust and cobwebs. Turns out he had it for close to 40 years and that my wife (now 45) used to ride with him when she was little. I said, “Let me have it for my kids.” He said, “Sure.” and so the adventures began. Boat had no papers, no VIN, nothing. It was b;tch to get registered but I did and I made a few mods along the way...

Attachments

• E1143C25-79B2-49F7-A012-F31741BF1164.jpeg
    E1143C25-79B2-49F7-A012-F31741BF1164.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5,446
  • 32018225-D073-4596-9CB1-0044E91288CC.jpeg
    32018225-D073-4596-9CB1-0044E91288CC.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5,446
  • DBF83790-474F-4C27-9A0A-77D9D837266D.jpeg
    DBF83790-474F-4C27-9A0A-77D9D837266D.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 5,446
Sure hope I'm in the right room this time. Could be worse than the time I misread the therapist sign while looking for help with this addiction.

My name is Bob and I am a boat addict. I was clean and sober for the last 3 years, while I toyed around with kayaks. The kayaks simply could not provide that high I was looking for, namely that feeling of standing in a cold shower while stuffing $20 bills down the drain.

I recently fell off the wagon, and purchased a Starcraft Superstar 14'.
The former owner had launched a half hearted attempt at refurb. It needs a lot of work to bring it up to snuff. The wife is convinced it's just fine as is, ha ha!, women.

I've already found the problem with the motor and fix is underway. That small engine course in high school wasn't a waste of time after all. Good to know after 31 years it's like riding a bicycle you never forget. Now if I could just remember where I put my glasses....

BTW...Bob is not my real name. I know honesty is important but I can't risk my wife finding out.

Hey guys, new member, just bought my first boat (other then a canoe) 2018 mirrocraft 14 ft with a 9.9 merc. Put a couple seats in it and a helix 5 g2 sonar and GPS with navigation. Love it so far but already thinking about mods. Can't wait to dig into the forum!
The boat
e9evj7.jpg

The boats first fish, just a little guy.
30lgv48.jpg

Grmpy said:
Hey guys, new member, just bought my first boat (other then a canoe) 2018 mirrocraft 14 ft with a 9.9 merc. Put a couple seats in it and a helix 5 g2 sonar and GPS with navigation. Love it so far but already thinking about mods. Can't wait to dig into the forum!

Nice looking rig. How do you like the Helix 5? I hope you will share some fishing experience from Alberta.

stack said:
First post on the site. Looking forward to learning, listening and (maybe) inspiring. Found my first boat under my father in laws house. Thing was sitting there collecting dust and cobwebs. Turns out he had it for close to 40 years and that my wife (now 45) used to ride with him when she was little. I said, “Let me have it for my kids.” He said, “Sure.” and so the adventures began. Boat had no papers, no VIN, nothing. It was b;tch to get registered but I did and I made a few mods along the way...

Not too long ago there was a post where someone traded some alcoholic beverages for a boat. You found yours under the house! That is fantastic. Kind of neat that your wife will get to get back out on the boat she remembers as a kid. There a few boats from my childhood that I would love to own today.

Nice looking rig. How do you like the Helix 5? I hope you will share some fishing experience from Alberta.[/quote]

So far, I found no fish with it hahaha I accidentally bought the wrong one, I wanted to buy the one with down imaging but they gave me the wrong box.. but the nav and GPS is great, i like how it shows your speed, and water temperature. it's my first fish finder so still figuring it out, and I think I have to play with the transducer angle a bit.

I'll be sure to post pics as they come!

:WELCOME: all new members!

Thanks so much for joining the original, largest, friendliest, aluminum boat site on the net. :beer:

Glad to have all of you on board. Reach out to me for a must-have free decal! :LOL2:

Jim

Grmpy said:
Nice looking rig. How do you like the Helix 5? I hope you will share some fishing experience from Alberta.

So far, I found no fish with it hahaha I accidentally bought the wrong one, I wanted to buy the one with down imaging but they gave me the wrong box.. but the nav and GPS is great, i like how it shows your speed, and water temperature. it's my first fish finder so still figuring it out, and I think I have to play with the transducer angle a bit.

I'll be sure to post pics as they come![/quote]

I have a Helix 7 with down imaging. I like it a lot and fact is I never use the down imaging except to show someone how cool it looks. I recently read on another forum that Humminbirds are best for the bass fisherman who want bottom details in relatively shallow water. I normally target trout in deep lakes. So, I might of bought the wrong one too. Haha

When someone first starts out I think it natural to turn on the fish ID function. You see little fish symbols which is kind of neat. Conventional wisdom is fish ID is not that accurate. After a while you will probably come to appreciate looking at the marks without the fish ID. Just a small learning curve. And remember, don't be afraid to try all kinds of different settings. There is a "reset to original" option if you ever need it. Also, you might want to take a look at the many You Tube videos about Hummingbird FF's by a guy named Doug Vahrenberg. I learned about his videos from a member here on TB. They are pretty good.

Yikes! sorry to be so "windy".

Hello!

I’m currently residing in North Georgia, 10 minutes from carters lake. Been here 10 years so far, spent 30 years in central Florida before that. Happily married with 3 grown kids and 5 grandchildren.

I fish 1-3 days a week here locally. I try and get a few out of state trips in per year to chase Fish and deer as well. I do a lot of spotted bass fishing year round and stripped bass fishing in the winter. I do enjoy flyfishing for native trout up in the mountains but my passion is warm water fish.

I run a welded G3 1652 with a 25HP Johnson tiller. I installed a couple hatch lids in the rear for storage last year and a solid aluminum floor. This winter I will have FishOn fabrication extend my front deck and add a bit more storage. They have recently built a rear lid to cover my fuel tank and batteries.

Looking forward to sharing and reading with everyone!

Caleb7mm

Where do I start? 71 yo retired truck driver (old school). After 50 years in Az., moved to South Central Missouri near Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes. Bought my boat from an individual last December. Boat, 25 hp Johnson tiller, Hummingbird fish finder, Motor Guide 34lb. trolling motor, and trailer for less than $1000. They are old, but they all work. Meaning the boat floats and does not take on water, the motors run, and, with new axle, hubs, wheels and tires, the trailer follows the truck down the road. Like to go fishing whenever I can, which is a lot more often than when I lived in Arizona. Like to help others, and don't like to argue nor being taken advantage of. Just wish I knew what I am seeing on the fish finder!

Hello everyone, new member here ,and recent transplant to Michigan from Pennsylvania. I don't have a tiny boat yet but am looking for a barn find for a budget price that I can get ready over the winter and get out next spring on. I'm thinking something 10-12 foot that I can strap in the bed of my Ridgeline to get onto the local lakes and piers over by Grand Haven/Muskegon areas. Would you suggest either a semi vee or would a jon boat be my better choice for what I want to do? :LOL2: =D>

=D> =D>
TL Parnell said:
Hello, I am in Central Texas on the upper end of Lake Whitney at Kimball Bend. I am a 56 year old retired/disabled, fat, grumpy old fart! LOL! I love to have fun as long as it is clean fun, I am a fledgling christian, but not a prude! LOL!! I raise blue heeler dogs & have 8 of them at present time, the oldest one is my fishing buddy. I fish out of a 16 ft Monark Johnboat with a 35 hp Evinrude on it . I named my old tub "Stable Mabel" because I can stand up & dance in it when I catch another good yellow cat!!I do not start any trouble, but do not tolerate any either, I'd really prefer to be friends & laugh than to argue & bicker! :) :)

Hello, I'm a new member from central New Jersey. I bought a Lowe Tahiti 224 Deck boat new in 2004 that now leaks under the forward portion of the keel guard. The boat is fully welded and I don't want to perform a quick fix that I will regret later. Any ideas are fully appreciated as I am somewhat handy but have no background attempting to fix aluminum. I know my limits. Thank you in advance.

Latest posts