New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, new member to the board. I am a third generation Georgia native (few and far between these days). I currently live in the bright light city of Ball Ground GA.; I grew up in Roswell Georgia. Love the outdoors, I love to hunt and love to fish. I enjoy all types of fishing bass, bream, trout and but I especially love the striped bass! In the summer I chase the stripers in the Etowah River. Mainly fish from Loop 1 up; do not have a jet boat so usually just go up to the pipeline and fish down. I have a jon boat with a creekbank 20 gallon bait tank with a20 HP Johnson. I cannot say enough about the Creekbank bait tank; if you are in the market for a quality well made bait tank check these out. Look forward to meeting everyone and if you fish the Etowah post those updates and reports and I will do the same.

sb2244 said:
Hello all, new member to the board. I am a third generation Georgia native (few and far between these days). I currently live in the bright light city of Ball Ground GA.; I grew up in Roswell Georgia. Love the outdoors, I love to hunt and love to fish. I enjoy all types of fishing bass, bream, trout and but I especially love the striped bass! In the summer I chase the stripers in the Etowah River. Mainly fish from Loop 1 up; do not have a jet boat so usually just go up to the pipeline and fish down. I have a jon boat with a creekbank 20 gallon bait tank with a20 HP Johnson. I cannot say enough about the Creekbank bait tank; if you are in the market for a quality well made bait tank check these out. Look forward to meeting everyone and if you fish the Etowah post those updates and reports and I will do the same.

Welcome Aboard!

HiYa......

New member and think it is great. Shoed horses for ten yrs. and am now a retired GC living on 20 AC in N. Fla. I've owned at least twenty boats up to 38 ft. and down now to a 25 yr. old 18' Landau with a 50 Honda. Fished professionaly in Pensacola in the early 70's and sailed to the Bahamas 3 times. I fish Boca Grande every year and Indian Pass too. Just bought a 1984 Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 I'm going to turn into a salt water flats boat. Boat and trailer sat in the woods for 10 yrs. and I got it for $200. 2 hours and 2 used tires and it's in the barn.

Any help and direction to previous threads about mods would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great weekend and take a moment on Monday........................

Thanks

HI all I'm RJ, a long time lurker here and have read a lot of pages of mods and storys, I cant get enough lol. I'm in south FL and have acquired my setup slowly over the years. When i was 14 an older neighbor of mine gave me the boat which didn't get much use unless I brought it on camping trips which is where i got the Minn kota endura 40 , my dad bought it on our last trip (16) and then the boat and trolling motor sat for years. This is until i was finished with high school and my break between college (21) I found a lot of small ponds and lakes around me thanks to Google maps and began fishing them with the boat transporting it with a utility trailer or truck bed. I searched craigslist and got a deal on a fully galvanized trailer in excellent shape minus bunks , 100$ and it was mine got home and bought a 12ft 2x6 and some carpet wallah a perfect fit! And later searching craigslist found the 1973 7 hp Eska for 50 $ frozen transom bolts and gummy carb , rebuilt carb new head gasket and fuel lines and freed transom bolts and it started and ran perfect 2nd pull!! i also recently bought new Minn kota transom bracket and prop as well as terminals. Ive been fishing 3 times a week now or more and feeling old at 22 Lol. I love the simplicity and mobility of jon boats and can't wait to have a decked out one for snook/ salt water fishing. I'm trying to get as much fishing in as possible before my last 6 class semester starts :( . I did the ladder stabilizer mod today check it out and somw other pics. I'm Happy i found this forum!

saveme125.jpg

rear handles about to pull threw before
photo-70.jpg

and after stainless
photo-71.jpg

I got really lucky here i never measured width for ribs of hull I just eyeballed it and its perfect
photo-67.jpg

and ladder mod cost me 33$
photo-69.jpg

photo-68.jpg

photo-65.jpg

Eska first test run!

photo-66.jpg

and one of many 7-11 pounders i catch at a secret lake :)
saveme292.jpg

Howdy!

I finally got my new (old) boat in the water for the first time yesterday. This was the first time I ever put a boat in water, drove one, or took it out. It was great, though. My girlfriend helped, and we got a lot of advice from the friendly folks at the launch.

If the pictures link works, you should be able to see all the stuff I want to do to start off with. If you're wondering, after you see the pics, where we sat while afloat, I just put some boards over the livewell and a couple of boat cushions on top. It was perfect for the short run. Please let me know if you have any advice.

https://s832.photobucket.com/albums/zz242/0441514/1982%20Lowe%2015ft%20and%201983%2040hp%20Merc%20052010/

i wanted to stop for a moment to say hello to everyone! i am located in the great state of georgia! augusta ga. anyway, i just wanted to do a quick post to say hello and cant wait to find a good deal on a boat and get started!

ps if anyone near augusta needs a fishing buddy, i am your man! lol

Hey ya’ll,

New member here, although I’ve been lurking for several months. I’ve sought out several online boat forums since I got my new (to me) tin boat last October and this place is definitely the best!

I’m a native Arizonian (yes, we do exist, and no, we don’t ever get used to the heat…in the summer we just learn to run from the air-conditioned house, to the air-conditioned car, to the air-conditioned workplace, store, etc., and back again).

I’m an out-of-work environmental biologist/consultant who’s been moonlighting as an adjunct science professor (biology, chemistry, geology, etc.) to keep food on the table, the lights on in the house, and the tackle box stocked with lures.

I predominantly fish for trout, as do all of my fishin’ buddies, but I hope to be able to learn more about bass and catfish angling in hopes to spend more quality time with my son out on the water. I’d like to venture into fly fishing, but that’s probably a little down the road given I’d have to spend some $$$ on the appropriate gear.

Last October I got my first rig, a 1970 Ouachita 12’ v-hull, by trading the owner two older Honda quads for the boat/trailer/motor. There’s a long heartfelt story behind the ‘necessity’ to have my own boat, and I’m glad that I have something to call my own, rather than continue to borrow family member’s rigs when the weather called for camping and fishing adventures. The boat was restored 10 years ago by the owner’s two sons, but their father died shortly after the restoration and the craft has been dry-docked in a barn ever since. She’s old, but solid and clean. I’ve tried to research Ouachita online with limited luck, and I’d welcome anyone with knowledge of the company or models which were available at the time.

The trade included a 1965 5hp Evinrude Fisherman (also restored and clean as a whistle) but I haven’t had the time to play with it, the chance to get a manual, or posses the innate marine mechanical knowledge to freshen it up after it’s been sitting so long (I’d be willing to supply the beer :beer: if a local tinboater would be willing to share some knowhow – I’m a fast learner and mechanical tinkerer). I’ve been borrowing a 50lb Minn Kota that belongs to a fishin’ buddy of mine, and that does the trick on the local “urban” lake that I frequent and the mountain lakes that I prefer (all but one of the three mountain lakes ONLY allow electric motors). Getting the ‘rude runnin’ would expand my local fishing possibilities and really add to the family fun, so it’s on my list if I can do it myself as the $500 quote I got to freshen it up was a jaw-dropper and sounded like a new boater rip off (needless to say I don’t do business at that shop any more).

I don’t have a lot of mods planned, but I’m in the process of changing the existing (broken) battery-operated navigation lights to 12V wired ones (see thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13952, I could use some advice), need to put new spindles/hubs on the 1963 homebuilt trailer (right now, with the original wheels, the entire wheel assembly needs to be changed in the event of a flat tire…would definitely put a damper on a weekend camping/fishing trip), and have been toying with the idea of building a fixed cushion for the bow seat (at the little one’s request). The boat has a small leak, taking on about 1-2 cups of water per hour (no big deal really), that I’ll address next season, and $$$ permitting [-o< , I’ll put up a Bimini shade next year to keep that ever-present Arizona sun off my bald noggin :shock: . I’d like new (padded) folding seats too, but the ones I have work just fine and I have more important things to address first.

Anyway, glad to be here, glad that ya’ll are a friendly bunch, and hope that we can forge some good friendships along the way. Best-o-luck everyone.

img_7841.jpg

img_0772.jpg

img_0773.jpg

Hello there everyone. My name is Wade. I am from a small town near St. Louis, MO, (Freeburg, IL).

I just picked up a 1974 Semi-V 16 ft Mirrocraft to play with. This will be the second boat I owned. The first was a little sailboat that was given to me but I never even put it in the water. I also use to own a kayak that I fished out of when I lived in Florida. I enjoy fishing for all types of fish and have even done a good deal of fishing in the ocean. I do prefer to fish in freshwater for bass, crappie, bluegill, and catfish. These bring back childhood memories, since these are the fish I fished for when I was a kid. I am a big fan of catch and release although I don't mind people keeping their fish as long as the fish populations are good.

I have been around boats for years. I was in the Navy for four years right out of high school on Submarines. I have also spent a bit over six years working on board scuba diving boats in the Bahamas, where I got to fish, scuba dive, and play.

I have been a chef most of my life and have recently returned to school for a degree in Information Technology.

Good luck to all and best fishes!

Attachments

• SANY0004.jpg
    SANY0004.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 723
  • Fishing Kayak.jpg
    Fishing Kayak.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 723
:WELCOME: aboard folks.... Glad you found us.

and for the new GA members.... :WELCOME: Yall. :mrgreen:

hello every one im from bibb county alabama i fish from a 1438 yazoo jon boat equipped with a 1976 evinrude 6hp and a 40lb minn kota edge im in the process of making her my own im currently unemployed so i have plenty of spare time but not much cash. I fish mostly private ponds and the cahaba river there are huge blue cats in the cahaba and 5 and 6 lb spots arent too hard to find either but its rained so much this year so far i havent been able to hit the river much so i have been bored out of my mind ant tinboats.net has really kept me occupied over the past month so thanks to every one and keep up the amazing mods

Welcome to TB. I'm new here myself. The guys on this site are fantastic and the mods are awesome! I'm retired, so I know how the cash thing can slow things down.

Welcome indeed! I have to say, this is one of the most pleasant forums I have ever joined. Everyone is courteous and just... classy: a rarity on the internet. I hope you guys all enjoy this place as much as I have for the last couple of weeks.

New member from N.W. Washington State - 42 year old father of two boys. Married to my fishing friendly wife for 15 years. Just bought a well kept 1946 Starcraft 14' aluminum w/ 9.9hp Merc Mariner. Main focus in life is bass fishing but will target salmon & trout from time to time. I just found the site and have seen some amazing boat mods here, very inspiring! Looking to add a front casting deck and DIY livewell to the new boat over the course of the next year.

Greetings all!

Found this great site a few days ago while searching for ideas as I fix up my old Mirrocraft. What a great site! Anyway, I'm in Green Bay, WI and look forward to spending a great deal of time here.

New member here. Found site from a referance from another member. Great stuff on this site and have allot more reading to do. I think my sickness might fit in well here. :wink:

I live in Tioga County NY, but also very familiar with Oneida, Herkimer, and Fulton Counties, and have good general knowledge from around the state.

My largest project to date, has been updating a 1967 14' Starcraft Mariner - V.
https://www.canadalake.org/Starcraft67.html
https://www.canadalake.org/Starcraftii.html
https://www.joefishin.com/TMTDmount.html
Also, the rear casting deck was extended, but no pictures of that.

I also have a 14' "lite" alum that use to have a number of mods. Most have been removed so it is easier to put into water where there are no ramps. Also, used for summertime drift boat.

My moding is not limited to metal boats: https://www.joefishin.com/Kayak-Drifter.html

I do not have any current projects in the works. I have been watching for a wide jon boat that will strike my fancy. Some thing like a 1448, or maybe 1648 or wider. Maybe replace the 14' lite, or make a more specific river jet. I'll know it when I see it.

Anyway, a great site you have here, and will mostly lurking and learning from it, but wanted to say a quick hello to everyone.