New to me 73' Johnson 9.5

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
Today I picked up a 9.5 Johnson from craigslist "needs some TLC". The PO said that it ran last year, and that it needs the carbs cleaned, the water pump & seals needed replacing. Before I attempt to start this motor is there anything else I should do, maybe replace the spark plugs?

First try and find a manual for your model. Pull the flywheel and check the ignition coils & points for cracks/corrosion and replace if needed.
Change the old fuel lines. Clean out the fuel pump or rebuild if carb is really gummed up.
After that's done, you should have a solid runner for many years.
Your fuel mix ratio for this engine is 50 to1
Good luck.

Well before investing any money in it I decided to see if it would start. Well I hooked up the fuel tank and a couple pulls of the rope later she fired right up, and then I shut it down. Very excited to know it will run, I bought it along with another parts 9.5 Evinrude for 75$.

-Canadian omc
Thanks for the response, the PO apparently recently replaced the fuel lines because they look brand new. The carbs are not gummed up and look nice and clean. This week I hope to pick up a new water pump kit and the seals that I need.

I have had two Jon boats in the last few years, a very simple 10' that had a plywood front casting deck. The next was a 12' that I installed navigation lights, both front and rear decks on, the front deck was fixed with 30lb thrust trolling motor too.along with carpet. Both boats were powered by a 68' 6hp Evinrude and were strictly used to fish the flats. I no longer have either of the Jon boats but I guess I'm going to have to get another now!

Yes, the link he gave you is a great link. We, too, have the 9.5 (1971). It would start and die. Replaced the fuel pump gaskets and it runs like a charm. :)

This is only the second outboard that I have worked on, however the previous one I worked on - I replaced the same thing - the water pump.

The first time I did this it was one a 1968 6hp Evinrude.

Ok, so I just pulled the lower unit off, unscrewed the 4 screws that hold the water pump housing on, and gently began to slide the housing off the drive shaft. Well As I was doing this the drive shaft came right along with it. My gut tells me that this isn't supposed to happen - at least it did not happen when I did this on the 6hp a couple years ago. Anybody have an idea?

1) Looking at it and the exploded diagram - I assume the impeller key/the water pump housing - hold the drive shaft in place?

2) The gear case oil is milky, so there is obviously a leak somewhere. I assume I will need new "o" rings and seals. However I do not see the seal here. https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=9.5&model=9R73B&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

JRyno10 said:
1) Looking at it and the exploded diagram - I assume the impeller key/the water pump housing - hold the drive shaft in place?

2) The gear case oil is milky, so there is obviously a leak somewhere. I assume I will need new "o" rings and seals. However I do not see the seal here. https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=9.5&model=9R73B&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

1- someone with some real knowledge will let you know for sure. However, on all my motors the drive shaft "floats." The top o-ring will sometimes keep it in the power head and it will slip out of the gear box, but typically the shaft comes out with the gear box when it is dropped.

2- #43 is a seal that will often get damaged from fishing line and other stuff wrapping around the prop. There is also another similar seal located atop the gearbox. I do not know if they are the same size in this instance. Also, if you can get the number off the seal you can typically get the part cheaper locally, with no shipping costs or "marine" tag (check at an industrial parts supply - they can also cross reference the number for you).

-- Edit It appears that the entire lower seals kit can be obtained for around $20.

Latest posts