Painting my Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stinkfoot said:
The10Man said:
Thanks Johnny! Actually, I'm in the hospital now. My son should be born soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great and congrats on your son! Are you going to call him Johnson? :p

Am betting not...but at least a Johnson had something to do with it! :roll:

Nothing like a fresh motor.... I got mine about done... hoping to see yours when that baby allows ....

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

Thanks Johnny, it's a good hobby and keeps me out of trouble. I've lurked there but too cheap to pay for membership. That motor is going on the 59 deep C that I'm restoring. Hoping to have it ready for spring fishing trips.

Johnny said:
Shaugh - you continue to impress me with your refurbishing skills !!
do you ever visit the Antique Outboard Motor Club ?? https://www.aomci.org/
lots of very nice vintage, classic and antique outboard people there.

I second that! Johnny, the guys there have helped me with 2 antique 1940's champion outboards... I've restored 2 that I got for free and got them both running great....Finicky coils, they knew all about them

Sorry I've been MIA lately. My son was born the day that I last posted and things have been pretty busy since then. Stinkfoot, I didn't name him Johnson but like Pappy suggested my Johnson had a lot to do with my child being born. I am very thankful that the baby is healthy and mom is doing great. Needless to say things haven't been a little chaotic around my house lately, getting adjusted to the new baby and managing a 2 year old. Now that I'm beginning to get my routine down and I have a few more days off of work, I'm hoping to get outside and spray several coats of clear on the cowling. Hopefully I'll have an update and a finished product in a few days.

Shaugh that motor is impressive! You are very talented! I know my motor won't be as flawless as yours but I hope someday to restore a motor to that quality.

Thanks, The surprising thing about painting motors is actually how quick and easy it is.... hopefully we convinced a few people to stop driving around with those sad looking motors... :p

It's been two months since my son was born (thanks for all the congrats) and things have finally started to settle down. I was able to find a couple of hours and finish painting my Johnson.

It isn't exactly perfect, but I'm very happy with it. Like Shaugh said it isn't all that difficult and I really enjoyed it. Prep work was key! It would have been a much quicker finished project if my son wasn't born in the middle of it. If I ever get another motor in the future, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to paint it if it has some cosmetic issues.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice throughout the project. It wouldn't have turned out nearly as good without all the support from all the forum members.

I've added a few photos of it below.

de2818f0d87b652a7d894647fdb9a0e3.jpg

ea49ef51c48bbf5d6de8a85c999ab1d7.jpg

Nice work... looks like you paid $3000 for it...

Thank you for the compliments Johnny and Shaugh! I really appreciate your guys' insight and help throughout this project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The10Man said:
It's been two months since my son was born (thanks for all the congrats) and things have finally started to settle down. I was able to find a couple of hours and finish painting my Johnson.

It isn't exactly perfect, but I'm very happy with it. Like Shaugh said it isn't all that difficult and I really enjoyed it. Prep work was key! It would have been a much quicker finished project if my son wasn't born in the middle of it. If I ever get another motor in the future, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to paint it if it has some cosmetic issues.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice throughout the project. It wouldn't have turned out nearly as good without all the support from all the forum members.

I've added a few photos of it below.

de2818f0d87b652a7d894647fdb9a0e3.jpg

ea49ef51c48bbf5d6de8a85c999ab1d7.jpg
Hey, if you get another motor you will be making your son paint it! Great job, looks fantastic. I have a really nice 77 Merc 40 jet but it is electric start only. I have a really shabby pull start housing which I hope to do this to just in case I flatten my battery. Congrats again on the boy. You can go fishing in another 5 years!