Plywood Boat Cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the corrugated polyethylene. I think most of the art stores like Blicks have it pretty cheap in sheets.

https://www.fantasticdisplays.com/sign-supplies/substrates/18-x-24-blank-corrugated-plastic-sheets-white/

Corrugated poly looks like a generic CoroPlast. I don't exactly remember the numbers now, but I believe the stuff I used for planes was 6 mil.

They also had sheets of 2 mil (way too flimsy for the OP's job)...and something like 10 or 12 mil. The thicker stuff was stronger and somewhat heavier, but probably more expensive.

The 6 mil came is 4 x 8 sheets and they also had 4 x 12 sheets, but not at their plant in Houston, only in Austin, TX.

I still harbor thoughts of building a small boat out of this stuff, but only if I can get the 12 foot lengths. There is a guy on YouTube who built a small motorized boat/kayak out of CoroPlast. ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P-zJDn8ho
richg99

Sureply and Ultraply are two high quality nominal 1/4" plywoods. They do not have interior voids and they use a waterproof glue. They were developed to replace lauan as a vinyl flooring underlayment because the quality of lauan had dropped over the years. Because of the voids in the lauan , women's high heals were puncturing the vinyl if they happened to stand over a void area. The vinyl manufacturers were left paying out warranty claims.

The sheets are sanded smooth so a rolled-on coat of epoxy will leave a smooth, paint-ready finish. Instead of epoxy and paint I could cover it in vinyl like a pick-up's tonneau cover. I don't know what color to choose; my current cover is light gray but that is already showing dirt and it only a few weeks old.

The detail I have not settled on yet is whether to have an aluminum frame around the outside or have a wood frame on the inside of the gunwale. Latching and locking it have a host of problems to be solved too.

EDIT: I just received a quote from a local supplier of corrugated plastic. They want $152.23 per 1/4 x 4 x 8 sheet. You guys in Texas get it cheap. I can get .063 x 4 x 8 aluminum diamond plate for the same price. Plastic is really out.

Sureply is available at my local Lowe's for $20 a sheet.

For $63 I can have 5 yards of black marine grade vinyl shipped to my door. That would cost $100 if I bought it at the local Jo Ann Fabrics.

SurePly and paint is still a contender.